Thread: Road from the Haul Road to Umiat?

Question Road from the Haul Road to Umiat?

Did I miss this discussion or has anyone heard about the proposal for a road that will run from the haul road out to Umiat? Sorry if I missed the original thread on this one. Just curious.

Apparently 360 million to build this thing.

http://foothillsroad.alaska.gov/

http://www.pristineventures.com/cgi/...c,m=1260917334

Larry Bartlett has some good info on it via above link.

I wonder if this road would be open to hunters and other members of the public as is the Haul Road. I have to assume that if it were built with state funds as planned that it would be open for use. Interesting possibilities, for sure.

It would be interesting to see what happens if they build a road to Umiat. Ultimately it will be to expand on oil exploration and drilling, but I'd vote to pay for it because of the hunting and outdoors possibilities that exist in that area especially with the Colville River right there.

Maybe eventually DOT would consider a road to Nuiqsut, too. They already have a power plant in place. Why not consider the remainder and build to Nuiqsut?

Maybe Fish and Game would consider opening up the possibility of or expanding big game hunting in GMU26?
    http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/index....closed&gmu=26
    Lurker.

Question name of the road?

Has no one yet called this "the road to nowhere"????

Whoops, there's goes more Alaskan development plans, down the drain....

It's got $8mil right now to see if it is feasable and when the study is done I think it'll be more than $360 Mil...8 bridges or so and a larger one over the Colville. That's more than a couple bucks...
    Yesterday I ran into an Old Girlfriend and I thought I missed her...
    So I backed up and hit her again, ya know sometimes I really do miss her!!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

1. The road will open up the whole area. How will the State of Alaska guarantee that there won’t be any sport hunting camps along the road, like there are along the Dalton Highway? Local residents already have problems with sport hunters
    numer 29 of comment from

http://foothillsroad.alaska.gov/file...ic_meeting.pdf

there are 35 comments from the Anatuvik pass folks..

i wold bet that this will be a closed road as is the one to Pogo... 55 miles through the wilderness with a gate on it ...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Thumbs up

Any additional road would be very beneficial to the countryside. The tundra needs to be busted down so the new growth can take hold and produce some habitat that is useful to the animals. Umiat needs the road to further develop it's people. Those folks want to be civil, yet the state keeps putting them off, allowing their minds to rot. +1 for the new road, any new road.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Where is Wally Hickle?

"You can't let wilderness run wild."

Lots of comments about a road stopping the caribou from migrating.

So they all line up on the Dalton and spend the winter standing there since that road stopped them from migrating back in 1972 or whenever?

Too bad the Corps of Engineers didn't wait another decade to cleanup the old oil stuff up there at Umiat. The road would have saved them tens of millions on the cleanup.

Default More Roads, Yeah !!!

I'm all for puttin in more roads too. I think we should start with Broadway and 5th Ave and just start a grid system. That way I can drive to anywhere I want to in the state.
    Oh wait, didnt NYC already do that?

...The road will open up the whole area. How will the State of Alaska guarantee that there won’t be any sport hunting camps along the road, like there are along the Dalton Highway? Local residents already have problems with sport hunters...

and another concern.. that strikes a cord

.....Perhaps the State of Alaska, as part of the funding for the road, could fund energy efficient housing in rural villages...

.uhh.... I think this should/could get interesting..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowman1979 View Post
    I'm all for puttin in more roads too. I think we should start with Broadway and 5th Ave and just start a grid system. That way I can drive to anywhere I want to in the state.
    Oh wait, didnt NYC already do that?
    No they didn't, northern NY is more rural than the much of the Kenai. Largest park in the lower 48 , 5 of the western parks would fit inside it.

Default Good Example

The Adirondack Park started out as a rich mans club for all the robber barons to escape the conditions of NYC in the summer. Had their own private train to take them there and is still controlled by the Adirondack Park Agency. You can't paint your house a different color without their say so. Real good example.

This road was part of a design project for UAF students last semester. From the information I remember getting second hand by one of the students; the road is to be "open" similar to the haul road. There will be trails for mining folks upto 20 miles off each side at set intervals.

That's all I can remember at this time though.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Any additional road would be very beneficial to the countryside. The tundra needs to be busted down so the new growth can take hold and produce some habitat that is useful to the animals. Umiat needs the road to further develop it's people. Those folks want to be civil, yet the state keeps putting them off, allowing their minds to rot. +1 for the new road, any new road.
    Umiat doesn't have "people." It's a camp, not a village.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Meknowy View Post
    Umiat doesn't have "people." It's a camp, not a village.
    That is why I said they want to be "civil" as in settling down.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

The company work for we build an ice road back in there last winter and there is a drilling rig back there. Right now drilling. I hope this raod gets build with the amount of work going on up here right now sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    That is why I said they want to be "civil" as in settling down.
    I've done a lot of work for some of the folks that make Umiat run and spend time out there. I haven't heard anyone mention wanting to settle down. The road would be very helpful, but it wouldn't get people living there.

The only reason a road is being proposed is because during the winter of 07/08 a whole bunch of new oil was mapped out. Essentially another "Prudhoe Bay".

They need the road to build the pipeline spur. I will be very surprised if public access is allowed. Remember, the Dalton was built with public money too and it took 20 years and a class action suit to get folks past Chandalar.