Thread: Flat top

Default Flat top

Anyone hike it lately? Should I take small snow shoes to hike it now?

Thanks

I would think that crampons would be more useful than snowshoes. I haven't hiked it recently, but generally speaking there are footsteps kicked in all the way to the summit. Given recent thaw-freeze cycles, it might be a bit slippery. I'm writing this from California, so I don't really know, though. Still, crampons would be more useful on steep terrain.

Default Garden tools...

Flat Top currently has the trail trampled in the snow all the way up. There are little foot steps kicked into the hard packed snow up at the top. I went up a few days ago. While I did not feel the need for an ice ax while going up, I really did want a little three pronged garden tool on that last thirty yard steep section.

Coming off the top, that upper-most thirty yard section was a bit spooky. I did feel the need for the ice ax, which again I did not bring. I'm always spooky on steep, icy areas in the rocks, especially coming back down.

What a great urban workout. As always the view was great even if I did not spent much time on the summit. But I did enjoy the "white silence".

dennis

Coming back down is always a little spooky to me in the winter. I did it one time while being blasted by high winds which added a degree of difficulty. I kept peeking over my left shoulder (which was a bad idea) and all I could see was that long shoot down.

Decided to go up Baldy, extra hour it takes to drive to Flattop was the deciding factor. Baldy was very good, I wore cramp ons, they worked well, others had nothing on their boots and made it fine.

Went up Flat top yesterday. Little slick but not bad. Had an Ice ax, crampons could of been helpful for the hike down. The view however was amazing, windy but sunny, best part only 3 other people up there when I was up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Russp17 View Post
    Went up Flat top yesterday. Little slick but not bad. Had an Ice ax, crampons could of been helpful for the hike down. The view however was amazing, windy but sunny, best part only 3 other people up there when I was up there.
    I think I was there too, love the lack of traffic this time of year :-)