Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got a new toy, need some 338 WM loads

Default Got a new toy, need some 338 WM loads

Well I guess santa decided I should carry a 338 instead on my 7mm for moose/bear hunts. I got a Ruger tang safety 22" 338 win for x-mas, what's your favorite load? P.S. need reloading supplies too if you've got extra.

You might check out "Just takes work..." in the shooting section.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by dbeast71 View Post
    Well I guess santa decided I should carry a 338 instead on my 7mm for moose/bear hunts. I got a Ruger tang safety 22" 338 win for x-mas, what's your favorite load? P.S. need reloading supplies too if you've got extra.
    My load is 67 grains of H4350, and a 250 grain Hornady RN.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Default where u located?

Might have a little stuff for ya if you're close to Anchortown.

Thumbs up try this...

Start with 73 grains of RL 19 and a 225 grain Barnes X Tripple Shock. You also want the bullet about .050 from the lands for a starting point. Adjust from there.

How far have you shot your test loads and what are you getting for drop, group, and pain? Thanks for the info and yes I am in A-town.

Default How far are you concerned about shooting?

I have a 225g load @ 2892fps that holds 3/4" groups @ 100 and tickling 2" @ 300. 250 yard zero gives me a hold on hair trajectory out to 400 for caribou and larger critters.

FWIW - the longest shot (1st shot) I've taken on game is 87 yards with this rifle in 20 years.

Predators, P-dogs & ferral "pets" is a different story.

Is that what you're looking for?

68.5 grains of H4831SC behind a 250 grain Nosler Partition using Remington 9M primers has worked very well for me. I've been shooting this load for years and it has always been a real performer.
    Someday someone may kill you with your own gun, but they should have to beat you to death with it because it is empty.

69 grains of H4831sc, CCI 250 primer, Speer 250 grain Grand-Slam and remington brass. Shoots 3" groups at 300 yards in my rifle. See no reason to change anything. Every animal died with one shot. Longest was 375 yards on a 50" bull moose. Not a sniper rifle but a good working hunting gun.
    Find the load that works in your rifle and stick with it.

Default dennis

I'd like to practice some with that load in my xbolt........let's hear it - if it's super secret you can PM me.

randy

A really nice practice round for me was a CCI LR and 66.6gr of H4350 behind a Hornady 225gr Spire tip in Federal premium (nickel) brass. Velocity was right around 2600 from my 25" Tikka, recoil was light, and that load is responsible for the only picture-perfect 100yd clover leaf group I've ever shot with a big game rifle. For prone supported without a rear bag, I don't have much to complain about. Now if only I could remember why I sold the rifle

Thumbs up Reloader 19

338 Win
    Reloader 19 with 225gr Nosler Accubond
    FC 215 GM primers
    FC Nickle Brass

Looks like either a TSX, or partition again. rdklinak, whatcha got?

Quote Originally Posted by rdklinak View Post
    I have a 225g load @ 2892fps that holds 3/4" groups @ 100 and tickling 2" @ 300. 250 yard zero gives me a hold on hair trajectory out to 400 for caribou and larger critters.

FWIW - the longest shot (1st shot) I've taken on game is 87 yards with this rifle in 20 years.

Predators, P-dogs & ferral "pets" is a different story.

Is that what you're looking for?

Ouch, what powder are you using and how much? I've been looking at some load data and for 225 max I've seen is 27 something.

Bought some 210gr TTSX's today at sportsman to try, they were out of 225's and I'm not looking forward to teh recoils anyway. They didn't have and RL-19, 4831, or 4350 though.

Default Off topic

But,,,, your Santa deserves a HUGE HUG for such a wonderful and thoughtful present.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug in Alaska View Post
    68.5 grains of H4831SC behind a 250 grain Nosler Partition using Remington 9½M primers has worked very well for me. I've been shooting this load for years and it has always been a real performer.

Sounds like we have settled on virtually the same recipe. I load this for my brother. This recipe matches his Redfield Accutrack adjustments perfectly out to 600 yards. The 250gr Nosler Partition has been his favorite bullet forever.

H4831 @ 68.1grains
    Federal 215 primer
    Head to ogive measurement is 2.734”, .020 off the rifling in his Rem 700 338WM
    Cartridge overall measurement is 3.319”
    Muzzle velocity 2661fps

This load is basically a duplicate of federal premium ammo that shoots the 250gr partition at 2660fps. I choose the H-4831 because of it claim about temperature stability. It's part of the extreme series of powders offered by Hodgdon that claims to be resistant to temperature variations.

Hodgon's website is a good resource for load info.

http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

I've tried a lot of different powders in the 338 WM over the years and I have always had best/consistent accuracy with IMR 4350. There may be a few extra fps in RL 19 and H4831 is also very good with heavier bullets, but I keep returning to IMR 4350 with bullets from 200-250 grains. Excellent accuracy and good external ballistics is routine with this powder. I've come to expect the 225 Hornady Interlock with 71.0 grains of IMR 4350 to shoot well in any 338 WM--my present 338 WM gets 2850+ fps. I know it is a simple cup & core bullet and it does not win any speed record, but it is deadly on moose sized critters as far away as I am likely to shoot.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast