Thread: Crow pass trail

Default Crow pass trail

Hi everyone
    We intend to visit Alaska in august 2010. We want to hike Crow pass trail. We will travel with RV. Can we drive the RV on the crow creek road? I understand its a rough gravel road with lots of potholes

You can drive Crow Creek Road. It is dirt so there will be some pitting but almost all dirt roads have pitting. The road is only a few miles long.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

Understand that most folks hike the Crow Pass trail in one direction. You'll end up in Eagle River, and you'll need to figure out how to get back to your RV in Girdwood. It is a spectacular hike - enjoy!

Default Girdwood end to ER end

...but do plan on hiking it from the Girdwood/Crow Pass mine end and ending up two or probably three days later at the Chugach State Park Visitors Center at the Eagle River end.

The last half Klick where you start passing residences will be the hardest. Its narrow and it might have some tricky turns for a large RV, but you should be able to make it.

I've hiked it both ways. Hike it from the Girdwood side to the Eagle River side..it seemed WAY easier that way. It was no big deal for us to do in two days, but I think it would have been more fun to do in three and sight see more often. Crossing Eagle River can be fun. DO NOT do it barefoot. I tried and I nearly fell in the river when my feet froze. Take a pair of tennis shoes to cross with or cross with your hiking boots and suffer with wet feet.

If you went to the Girdwood side, parked your RV there and hiked in for a day, then turned around and hiked back, you would cover the best scenery and solved the dilemma of getting back to your RV.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Be aware that cell coverage right at the ERNC proper can be spotty, sometimes it's fine, sometimes not. There is a pay phone, and you can often get service 1/2 mile or so up the trail.