Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seaark or ?

Default Seaark or ?

Hi, I have never owned a boat before, but after several charters on the little su, talkeektna, deshka river I have decided to buy a river boat. I am thinking of getting the 2072 seaark from dewies. It seems like a very durable boat and should handle most rivers. I plan to do mostly day trip fishing with my family of 4. Any suggestions or advise that I should take under consideration would be greatly appreciated.Thanks.

Which sea ark are you looking at? The inboard predator or an outboard John style?

The seaark 2072 looks like a decent boat for the rivers mentioned above. Thoughts about this boat and family are as follow.
    1. Will get you there with a jet outboard at least 90hp.
    2. Is lightweight but lacking in feature comforts.
    3. Has plenty of opened space, bonus for first boat.

Consider when buying a boat the ability to be out when the weather isn't so wonderful with a top or some sort of enclosure. Makes a big difference deciding weather or not to go. It is more enjoyable when you have a wind block(wind shield) on a river boat. For a first boat it looks to be a nice boat and hope you and family enjoy whatever boat you decide to go with.

Default Word of caution

Last I heard Deweys doesn't sell the inboard SeaArk. They had one a few years ago and had a hard time selling it so they don't/won't order any more. They may special order you one but when I talked to them I didn't get the feeling they were interested in selling any inboard Predators. Also, if I recall correctly, there was supposed to be, or may have been a change with the SeaArk and Mercury engine. Contact a dealer for more information as I'm having a hard time recalling everything I was told a year ago when I inquired.

IMO SeaArk's are heavy (compared to a sport jon with a full console and windshield) and if you have a prop converted to a outboard jet, make sure the transom is braced properly to avoid warranty violations and cracks in the transom from putting the boat on/off the trailer. IMO the transom as it sits is not designed for an outboard prop converted to a jet and the mounting method adds to the stress on the transcom. I've looked at a number of these (dealers and for sale lots) and just about everyone had cracks and needed after market repair and welding done to them. The warranty should cover this if you are the original and/or second owner as far as I know.

Try Deweys if your in the area, but if looking for an inboard SeaArk you'll probably have to contact Compeau's in Fairbanks. Here is the link for SeaArk's website. Good luck on your search.. you may also want to search Craigslist for a used jet boat - there are a number of boats for sale right now including a few Sport Jon's with enclosures.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Which sea ark are you looking at? The inboard predator or an outboard John style?

I'm looking at the outboard Seaark Jon boat. It has a forward windshield and a canvas type top,115 hp yamaha jet. I'm between this boat or a wooldridge Alaskan II that seems to have a lot more features. Just not sure if I'll need them all for the price.

I don't think these 2 boats are even in the same league. Comparing one of the sea arks to a wooly Alaska is like comparing a 89 ford tempo to a new BMW M3! Yes I am a wooldridge Ak owner and it is simply a better built boat.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I don't think these 2 boats are even in the same league. Comparing one of the sea arks to a wooly Alaska is like comparing a 89 ford tempo to a new BMW M3! Yes I am a wooldridge Ak owner and it is simply a better built boat.
    I suppose most people would suggest skipping the seaark which could be considered a " good first boat" and getting the wooldridge and not needing to upgrade later.

Quote Originally Posted by Valaska View Post
    I suppose most people would suggest skipping the seaark which could be considered a " good first boat" and getting the wooldridge and not needing to upgrade later.
    I would add: Skip the local dealer and go to WA to buy one. There is no service or followup worth paying for. With the economy still tight you may find a very good deal down there. If you go to the Alaskan II, look at the Suzuki DF140. Then you can go to Anchorage Yamaha for engine work.

If I were to buy another Whooly, I would get 19-21 Ft with a 160 Yamaha inboard.

I own a sea ark pedator and it's a tank. I would buy another one again. When spring comes your more than welcome to take a ride.

I bought mine at dewey's they will order one if you want it they don't stock them. They were cheaper than the faribanks place by 3 grand.

I would not buy one for and outboard I would get the wooly if you want an outboard. The wooly set up with an out broad is really nice and handles good.

Default Phantom

I have a Phantom Sport Jon and my family of 4 has a great time in it. Also, it can get you to most places you would want to go. The other boats are also nice so I would say test them all out.

Thumbs up Skip the dealer

I agree with Dirtofak. If you have the time to drive out and pick up your boat you can save alot. I saved a little over 10k on my boat last year. Cost me $1200 to drive to OR and back. or I could have had it shipped up for around $3000 maybe alot cheap I didn't research that ave. very much. AK dealler markups kill me!!!

Default For the money....

It all depends what you want and what your willing to spend. Being your first boat you may want to "learn" the rivers in a boat that won't break the bank. I could not be happier with my 24ft SeaArk with 150 four stroke Yamaha. Great value and can fish 6 easy with the extra space afforded to me by the outboard vs. inboard. I would not change a thing about this boat. Do I think it's the best on the water... of course not, but it's more than I expected for what I paid and while it sits outside all winter not in use.... I'm not making some big payment! Good luck.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Thumbs up

I should add as jon boats go a Sea Ark is a great choice. It's not fair to compare them to other river boats however, they are what they are. A very good jon boat.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

I would say watch craigslist and buy one used, or something like what you are considering. Odds are after you get some hours on the water, you will decide you need something a little different. If you buy it used in today's market, you will most likley get you money back out, or most of it, when it comes time to sell. If you buy new an decide you want something different, you wil probabily loose a lot on the deal.

Besides, if you shop craigslist from now until spring, you will get to talk to people with differeing opinions to consider.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the response. It's a big decision buying a boat, lots of different opinions will help me make a more informed purchase. Thanks.

Default Valaska

Did you get my PM?...

Default Alweld hands down for a Jon style boat

The Wooldridges are great boats. Everybody I know that has one loves them. The drawback to the model mentioned is that it rides rough in heavy water.
    If you are looking for a V style Jon, I don't think you can do better than the Alweld boats. I spent 5 years shopping around and won't go into what I feel are deficiencies in the other boats. Suffice it to say, when you put all of those style hulls together, the Alweld shines.
    The 2272V I bought with a 150hp outboard has been worked hard. During hunting season alone I'll put around 50 hours on the boat, most of it carrying close to 3,000 pounds. I certainly don't baby it, and it takes whatever I throw at it.

Default Wooldridge

The wooldridge AK II is a great boat but the Alaskan XL has alot more room, although there are many AK II out on the rivers. You will probably get a better deal on the AK II.
    Any boat you may be looking to buy I would call up a few welding shops, Greatland Welding, Silverstreak ect., Alaska Airboats, and ask them for their opinion on how the boat your are looking into is built and what common repairs they may do to them. The pics are of an Alaskan XL rear and front of the hull, the Ak II is built the same way.

I would definitely get a nice top and a second windshield wiper, if Momma ain't happy nobody is happy!!!!!!

Default Sea Ark

I have a 2003 Sea Ark that is the 2072 MVJT with a 115 Evinrude jet on the back. I couldnt be happier with the boat, it has done everything i have wanted to do with a "river" boat. That being said i have taken it out of Valdez for silvers and it is a far cry from an ocean boat. it doesnt like waves at all, ocean or lake, i have to slow down to avoid cavitation and it will beat you to death on rough water. although my wife and i do look forward to going to Valdez for silvers every year, i just keep my eyes open and when the water starts to get choppy then i make my back to the dock. but for all the local rivers you described then the Sea Ark is a very good choice. A friend of mine has an Alaskan II with a 130 hp Honda on the back and it is a really nice boat and i liked it when i rode on it. the only thing i didnt like was it was almost twice as much i payed for my Sea Ark. but i dont have a windshield or cover on my boat either.

Default Greatland welding

Does any one have any experience with greatland welding boats?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast