Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where are the pike

Default Where are the pike

Alright. My son and I have been fishing the lakes on elmendorf pretty hard for the last 3 weeks and I have 4 fish to show for it. They were all nice rainbows 18" and better, but still pretty dismal for quite a bit of time invested. I am use to fishing back in the Dakota's for pike and walleye. Are there any real good lakes near anchorage for pike? If not, wheres the best place to catch some Char through the ice. That is one fish I have not caught or tried and have heard its awesome! Trying to get my son more interested in the outdoors and off the xbox! Thanks in advance for any help!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

well if you get up to the interior drop me a line, maybe we can run to george for pike or go out for some nice char or lakers.

Default Thanks Tradbow!

I will definitely take you up on that when I get a chance. Have you had alot of luck on george for pike? Not sure when i will get to make it up there though. Hopefully going to find some area's a little closer to home first.

If you want to get your son more interested in the outdoors I would start with stocked lakes in the Anchorage area. Lakes like Beach Lake, Mirror Lake, and others are almost a sure fire bet. You'll be bringing up pan fry fish most of the time, but it might get him hooked. Lack of action can be horribly boring for the beginer. Once he has the bug then I would move out to lakes like Big Lake and possibly some of the pike lakes off the Big Su. Big Lake has some monster dollies. Find areas where holes have already been drilled, redrill them, and drop a spoon down the hole. Pixees and flashy spoons work well. the action is much more speratic but those 5lbs dollies fight like their about to be table fare.

I was stationed at Grand Forks a long time ago. You will find that the fish here in Ak are not the same. The best lake that I know of in Anchorage that is near you is Cheney.

I suggest that you go to Cluney or Otter with shrimp.

If you need to travel, try sand lake or Fire Lake in Eagle River for pike.

If you like pike that much, PM me in the spring. I will actively be pursuing them (well them and lakers).

Default Guess I worded that a little wrong!

Sorry about that watergremlin, I am not trying to get my son interested more in the outdoors really, that is already there. I worded that way wrong. He is 14 now and has been fishing his whole life and killed an elk for his first hunt when he was 12. The problem is that since we have been in Alaska he just doesnt want to get out like he did in South Dakota. The times I have taken him out we havent had much luck with the bigger fish to keep him interested and I dont know where to go to improve that. Not really interested in small stocked trout as neither of us really care for the mushy taste and white meat of the small trout. I have smoked them the last few times and they have been pretty good, but looking for a change. Thats all we would catch in SD and we just got tired of it pretty fast. So we turned to Pike, perch, walley, and crappie. Obviously Pike is the only thing out of that group we will be able to pursue up here so that is mostly what I am trying to find out info on. I have plenty of tipups and an ice shelter and we had fun chasing them back in sd together. I have also heard that Char are alot better than trout so any info on where to go for them would be great. I came up here two months ago with the military with hopes of retiring up here, but for that to happen I am going to really have to convince the family that it is so much better up here than SD in a hurry. It is for me so far, but they are always reminding me of what we did back there. Thanks again for the help. It will be put to good use and hopefully by next year I will be helping out many of you on the forum as well!

Default Thanks.

Where is Cheney lake at? Thats one I havent heard of yet.

I am going to try otter out soon. Can you drive to that one or do you have to hike in on that road next to upper six mile?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    I was stationed at Grand Forks a long time ago. You will find that the fish here in Ak are not the same. The best lake that I know of in Anchorage that is near you is Cheney.

I suggest that you go to Cluney or Otter with shrimp.

If you need to travel, try sand lake or Fire Lake in Eagle River for pike.

If you like pike that much, PM me in the spring. I will actively be pursuing them (well them and lakers).

Cheney Lake - Go out the Boniface gate to Debarr, turn left. Go to Beaver, turn right. Lake is on the left past the 4 way stop sign about a 1/2 mile. Fish and game netted up to 36 inch pike there.

For char - try big lake or Cluney on Ft Rich. They taste MUCH better than trout.

For Ft Rich fishing info and maps go to Ft Rich outdoor rec. You can drive to Otter, Cluney and Walden. Take a friend, file a plan with someone you trust. The roads on the back of Ft Rich may or may not be plowed. I believe that it is 9 miles back to Cluney.

I also actively pursue pike. I retired up here. If you cannot get your family to like Alaska more than SD, you are not trying. I suspect that the job opportunities are better here also. Get a boat or some wheelers.

Thumbs up

This is the lake I'd like to find -

AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Awesome shot!

Now thats a cool picture! I have been to a lake where the pike were that aggressive, although I have never had that actually happen. Unfortunitely that lake is way to far from here. I was TDY to Cold Lake Canada about 10 years ago and fished every day after I got off work!

Cory - Do you have access to any snowmachines? Alexander Lake can be awesome for Pike, but you have to ride to it. I'd be happy to join you at some point if you can borrow a ride.

-Brian

Once the family's here for a spring and summer, I think they'll be hooked (pun intended). I just got to Elmendorf in early November myself, but spent 10 years in the Interior, til they sent me to Colorado for 4 years. Now I'm back and don't intend to leave.

Unfortunately, I don't know the places to ice fish around here; I did some ice fishing up north, but it doesn't really intrigue me much anymore.

Default good pike fishing

figure 8 or flathorn
    Need a snowmachine or plane but lots of fish to be caught

Default Looking at possibly renting.

Ak Roadkill, welcome back to AK. My wife is a diehard SD girl, so even as much as there is to offer up here it is going to take some convincing. I may have to compromise after I retire and spend summers and fall up here and winter back there. Not a bad tradeoff I think. And I may be able to convince her to spend a few winters here now and then. AK-hunt, thanks for the info. I have heard figure 8 was good as well. Gotta get me a sled!

Brian,
    I have been looking around for a reasonable older sled thats reliable and doesnt do too bad on fuel for now. I was going to try and hold off for a year since I brought my ATV's up with me, but it looks more and more like I could really use one now. Of course the problem with that is finances after the move, but I may be able to find something. In the meantime I think tommorow I am going to look into possibly renting one from the base. I will let you know what I find out. Are you on Christmas break right now?

Yes, but unfortunately I am heading to California tomorrow night. I married a girl from San Diego, so it's the price I pay. Actually, it's usually a nice break, but now that we have snow I don't want to leave!

-Brian

Alexander, Flathorn, and figure 8 are awesome from what I hear, you need a snowmobile though. Closer to home I've caught many pike and huge rainbows on herring in lower fire lake. Try the far end of the lake behind the island. Alternatively you could take up skiing which rules, and is way better than icefishing in the winter
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default (-:

Thats funny. After being stationed in Utah for 2 1/2 years I learned to love to ski too.... and snow shoe... Oh ya, and my photography... Too many hobbies.... too little time....

Default Have fun in the sun!

That cool Brian! Have a fun and safe trip and look me up when you get back. I will find out about snowmobile rentals or maybe even locate a used one by then!

Just a tip, Cory - If you want to sound Alaskan, it's a snowmachine, not a snowmobile. Saying that is like holding a sign saying "I'm not from here">

-Brian

Smile (-:

Point well taken!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast