Thread: winter shrimp and dungeness

Default winter shrimp and dungeness

Well, I've spent a lot of time searching and am not finding any information on this...so time to start a new post.

In SE, Ketchikan area, shrimping and crabbing is open year round (unless I'm missing something). We are taking the boat out tomorrow and going camping at one of the forest service cabins. I figured while we are out, we might as well drop our pots and see what we can catch.

We did well this past summer for both, but the question is, how do things change in the Winter? Should we drop the pots in the same depths, same bait, etc, or do they move deeper/shallower in the winter? Any tips for catching both shrimp and crab this time of year would be GREATLY appreciated!

Can't really help you on the shrimp because I haven't fished them in winter much. If it were me, I would try the same spots you did in summer- in 60 fathoms or so. I don't know how much they move around though.

For the crab, I would try slightly deeper than you got them in summer. One of my favorite winter spots in Juneau ranges from 90-150 feet for dungies. I would try starting in 70 feet or so for the dungies.

Good luck and let us know how it goes~

If you are heading out to the canal, Traitor's is holding fairly well in 80 fathoms as of about a week ago. Anchorage
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

well, just got back, results were not good. in 400 ft of water at the entrance to helm bay, 24 hour soak = 5 spots in 4 pots. For dungies, we tried in the bay, in 40-70ft. Only the pot near helm creek had any in it (did have one very small tanner in a 70ft pot). It had probably 10 or so after a couple hours of soaking. Woke up the next morning and this pot was gone. My other two were empty. Pretty disappointing. Oh, did I mention were had to break ice to get out the next morning?