Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 500 smith levergun...

Default 500 smith levergun...

Here it is, I saw mention of it on another forum. Just under 8lbs and just under 2 grand.

http://bighornarmory.com/products/carbine.php

Last edited by Snyd; 01-15-2010 at 16:40.

Default that is sweet!

Wow, i have been dreaming of one of those! I have found pump action and the obvious H&R break barrel. But that lever action is just beautiful....Does it chamber reliably? I have heard some complaints about the levers and pistol cartridges. Nice looking gun sir!

Quote Originally Posted by GOMdiver View Post
    Wow, i have been dreaming of one of those! I have found pump action and the obvious H&R break barrel. But that lever action is just beautiful....Does it chamber reliably? I have heard some complaints about the levers and pistol cartridges. Nice looking gun sir!
    I don't know anything about them other than what the website says. That's where the pic is from. I have a Puma 92 454 Casull levergun and it will cycle most everything I've run through it. Bullet profile makes a difference. I have one 350gr bullet with an 80% metplat and it won't cycle in 454 brass but will in 45 Colt. But, Cast Performance 360gr will cycle in 454 brass. It just depends on the bullet profile and OAL.

Snyd; In my honest opinion your Puma has everything function wise that this 500S&W has to offer and if one of your stiff 454 loads won't kill it then it ain't meant to be killed. Besides mother rolls her eyes at a $500.00 sticker hanging on a gun, a couple grand might get me kilt!

I saw the ad for those in "Rifle" mag. Had to have one, until I saw the price.
    Snyd, how is the quality of the Puma 92? I wouldn't mind having one to match my
    revolver.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

I have been looking at this rifle also and looking at the web site. There is something wrong here and I think the problem lies with the ctg. I saw the two prototypes at Wild West and wonder if this is so worked out why they did not go into production?

The other big thing is do you really want a side mount scope mount ? I keep following a long and know that the pressure generated by the .500 S&W are true center fire high pressure loads that you see in bolt action rifles. It will take a specially designed action for the .500.

I also have a Puma in .454 Casual. But I long for a .500 S&W. I really think a competitive priced rifle in a .500 would spell the demise of the love affair with the .45-70 lever guns. Two grand is just way beyond what I will pay for this kind of rifle and it's intended use.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I saw the two prototypes at Wild West and wonder if this is so worked out why they did not go into production?
    $$$$$

Ya cant break even at even $2K...

But all hope is not lost

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Wal, doesn't a 500 S&W makes more sense in a longgun than it does in a handgun?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    Wal, doesn't a 500 S&W makes more sense in a longgun than it does in a handgun?

Smitty of the North

For me it makes far more sense in a rifle than it does in a hand cannon, but that because I like to hit what I'm shooting at. WW was right to do the design they did. I can still have all the parts mass produced for the action, the only hold up would be the barrel and the mag tube and spring. The stock and forend could be worked out in Phoenix with McMillan brothers for the moulds and production. I have a die maker ready and waiting to do all the action moulds and can supply parts from 416 or 17-4 it's up to the owner.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

Bighorn Armory? Wild West Guns?

This rifle looks suspiciously like the prototype I played with last October in Cody Wyoming that was built by Frank Ehrenford of Mt. Baldy Bullet Company…..

If it is indeed one of Frank’s prototypes, then I know a fair amount about it…. Did not fire it myself, but I did inspect it very closely and cycled the action numerous times. Also spent a couple hours with Frank, his Wife and a couple of the guys chatting about the rifle and their cast bullet business.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    I don't know anything about them other than what the website says. That's where the pic is from. I have a Puma 92 454 Casull levergun and it will cycle most everything I've run through it. Bullet profile makes a difference. I have one 350gr bullet with an 80% metplat and it won't cycle in 454 brass but will in 45 Colt. But, Cast Performance 360gr will cycle in 454 brass. It just depends on the bullet profile and OAL.
    I have been looking at one of these. Do you know what kind of velocities you are getting out of your model 92?

Question 500 S&W in a bolt action

couldn't a guy take a short magnum action and change the barrel out to .500 and just chamber ream for the 500 S&W ?
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

I paid $450 new for my 92 Puma .454. I think $2000 for a .500 is crazy unless you have money to burn. And the Puma weighs just around 6 pounds or so -- much better for long treks in the bush vs 8 pounds.

I typically shoot the 300 gr Hornady and no complaints. You can read the test of this cartridge online -- was clocked at 2030fps. Recoil is not an issue. More power than a 45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by whateveri8 View Post
    couldn't a guy take a short magnum action and change the barrel out to .500 and just chamber ream for the 500 S&W ?
    I'm sure there would be bolt face, extractor, and feeding issues, depending. And, considering the purpose of the 500, a bolt gun isn't as fast to operate as a Lever Action.

But, that is largely speculation on my part.

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtpig67 View Post
    I have been looking at one of these. Do you know what kind of velocities you are getting out of your model 92?
    Ya, 335gr Cast Performance in 454 brass with an undisclosed amount of H110 , 1950fps I had to fiddle around to get the OAL just right so they will cycle. It will cycle them as fast or slow as I want with no problem.

355gr LBT custom mould "The Hammer" in 45 Colt brass is 1155fps in my 4 inch Redhawk. The same load in the Puma is 1425fps. This bullet has such a wide metplat that it will not cycle in the Puma in 454 brass but it will in 45 Colt brass. I could load it hotter for the puma but it's a max load for the Ruger so i'll leave it alone. It's a great dual gun round. Here's what it looks like.

Oh, and it'll hold 10 of either load in the tube

I have notes on other loads. 45 Colt 255ers and 454 255er plinking rounds with Unique. I think they are about 950 in the 4 inch Redhawk and 1150 or 1200 in the 20 inch puma for the 45 Colts. I'd have to check. Shoot me a pm if you want more info.

Quote Originally Posted by travelers View Post
    I saw the ad for those in "Rifle" mag. Had to have one, until I saw the price.
    Snyd, how is the quality of the Puma 92? I wouldn't mind having one to match my
    revolver.
    You know. I'm pretty impressed with it actually. The fit of the stock to the action is right on. I looked at a marlin 45 colt here locally and really wasn't that impressed with the fit and finish of it. The stock didn't fit the action as good as the puma.

The recoil pad is not exactly a flush perfect fit and the finish on the wood isn't that hot. It kind of fades off with a little moisture. I'll probably strip it and linseed oil it like I used to do on my shotguns.

I took it apart and smoothed up a few things but didn't get too carried away. The action is pretty good I guess. Some guys change out springs and stuff and get really smooth for CA shooting. I'm not too interested in that. I will replace the mag tube spring follower though. It's plastic. Steve at Steves Gunz makes stainless ones.

Default B'aaad, Move

Snyd:

Stainless, can RUST and bind, but Plastic WON'T.

This is the 21st Century, man. We have "Jet Age Plastics". (Bullets bounce right off.)

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

For the .500 S&W we are talking about some tremendous pressure, it sure breaks all the rules as far as pistol ctg go, it's in a class all by itself. The same thinking in the past about making it work in another action would be easy just does not apply to this ctg. The pressures we deal with in all the other pistol ctgs we use does not apply to the .500 S&W. It is so much higher in pressure that it is in a class by it's self.

I to have one of the SS Puma in .454 and still have really not found much use for it and just plain do not want to sink time or money in a "project gun" fo the truck. I'm coming to the same conclusion about a .500 S&W.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    You know. I'm pretty impressed with it actually. The fit of the stock to the action is right on. I looked at a marlin 45 colt here locally and really wasn't that impressed with the fit and finish of it. The stock didn't fit the action as good as the puma.

The recoil pad is not exactly a flush perfect fit and the finish on the wood isn't that hot. It kind of fades off with a little moisture. I'll probably strip it and linseed oil it like I used to do on my shotguns.

I took it apart and smoothed up a few things but didn't get too carried away. The action is pretty good I guess. Some guys change out springs and stuff and get really smooth for CA shooting. I'm not too interested in that. I will replace the mag tube spring follower though. It's plastic. Steve at Steves Gunz makes stainless ones.
    Thanks for the info, Snyd.
    I'll have to look into one of those.
    "The older I get, the better I was."

Some folks on the H&R forum are saying the 500 uses a sleeved barrel in the H&R guns. One cut the barrel to 18" and another to 16 1/2" and it does look like two different steels

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast