Thread: Waterfowl Guide License?

Default Waterfowl Guide License?

Hey folks,

I did some research on whether folks guiding duck hunters in Alaska need a guide license and I can't find anything. I currently have an Assistant Guide License which is for big game but I want to start having duck hunters visit my place in October during our shoulder season. I really am not a duck guide but I would like to be able to provide decoys and tell folks where to go or maybe even go with them if they would like. Under my current business model (self-guided) I can in no way tell folks where to go or provide hunt related items.

Also we have lots of geese, puddlers, and sea ducks to offer and I was going to charge our normal daily rate of $175 which would include a cabin, truck, and meals. Sound reasonable for a duck hunter? We had lots of our deer folks hunt ducks after getting deer and brought quite a few back by jump shooting so I figure it would be good hunting.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Not sure:

I do know that the Waterfowl regs read:

"All Waterfowl hunting guides operating in Alaska are required to register with ADF&G before guiding clients"

Waterfowl Programs number: 907-267-2206

at the moment i do not believe you are required to have anything other than permits for any public land use (park, refuge, etc) and a business license of some sort.
    there are no requirements for small game guiding other than registration, but you might look into insurance if you don't already have it.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default upland

If you are accompanying your duck hunters upland ... usfs roads to get there, walking accross fed-lands to the beach or tideflat or river, retrieving birds upland ... you will need a USFS Use Permit. USFS permit app deadline is Jan 15th.

But you will need the State of AK Migratory Bird Hunting Guide ID card. That card has been around for several years now.

Also you need to register with the State DNR ... for a Day Use permit.

call the state waterfowl office in Anc for your waterfowl guide permit application.

Default Thanks Folks

Good info folks! I will call them but it may be more work/money than I want to spend for a couple weeks of hunters. I reall just wanted to be able to tell them where to go and give them a bag of decoys. I will probably call the troopers to see if I can legally do THAT since ducks aren't big game.

Once again thanks folks.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Default You might need this

Sounds like you have a great attitude about this....good luck.
    DH01
    Attached Files Attached Files

Registration is free with the state, it is really easy, just go to the F&G site and you will be able to find it. I think the guy in charge is named is Tom Rothe.

I suggest you be sure you want to be registered as a guide and that it is necessary. If for example you are just out with some folks and there is a accident, you are not responsible generally. If you are out as a guide and there is a accident, you had better have insurance coverage. Bud

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Good info folks! I will call them but it may be more work/money than I want to spend for a couple weeks of hunters. I reall just wanted to be able to tell them where to go and give them a bag of decoys. I will probably call the troopers to see if I can legally do THAT since ducks aren't big game.

Once again thanks folks.
    Figure out where I can get some seaducks down there and I'll come visit ya!

Default Seaducks

Milo, I see seaducks daily. Harlequins which I recognize and numerous other weird ducks fly by out on the ocean. I'll ID them for you and let you know the seaducks we have. Give me a buzz bud and we'll go have a beer i/m in Anchortown for a few weeks 351-2978
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island