Thread: dogs and wildlife

Default dogs and wildlife im trying to get up there this summer to raft guide on six mile. i plan on doing as much hiking and backpacking as i can and along with me will be by 3yr malamute. he would definitly be leashed when we go out but ive been wondering what would happen if we ran up across a bear or more agressive moose. growing up in colorado ive never really had to worry about bears and the 1 or 2 moose we saw my dog just barked and the moose just left us alone. is this gonna happen with a black or brown bear? i know my dog would more than likely be barking at one if we crossed one. or at night? but im just curious as to some of your guys' experience on the whole thing. any thoughts or input or experiences would be great. thanks

Eagle River, AK

There are thousands of interactions between barking dogs and bears every year in Alaska, and very few turn out bad. If your dog is leashed, I wouldn't worry at all. The old axiom about the bear being more afraid of you than you are of them is generally true. In most cases the bear or moose will retreat. It would be a good idea to carry a sidearm or some pepper spray, though, in case a bear does decide to be agressive. Generally speaking, you should be fine.

Paradise (Alaska)

Cool Dogs

Many hundreds (or thousands??) of people hike with their dogs up here in AK. Alaskans love their pets.
    Too many of the dogs are too often "off leash".
    Your dog will end up off-leash also.
    After walking thousands of miles, I have only received three minor dog bites. Yes, it has been suggested that I might have some type of "bad dog karma". I have also saw three rather fierce dog fights on Flat Top trail and on Powerline!
    I have before suggested that off-leash dags should be good enough citizens to at least know their name and about three commands like SIT, STAY, and NO before they are allowed "off-leash". A forth command like COME, is optional.

Ok Ok ok....While Alaska has experienced several "bad bear encounters" in the past few summers, I can not think of even one "bad bear encounter" that occurred when a hiker/jogger had a dog present. (anybody, correct me if I'm wrong.)

Note Definitions.....Good bear encounter- is any bear encounter, regardless of how close or how long, that does not result in actual physical contact 'tween bear and hiker/jogger.

Bad bear encounter- is any encounter, regardless of how brief, that does result in any actual physical contact 'tween any bear and hiker/jogger.

With a dog, or are safer and less likely to get injured or hurt while hiking then you will ever be while driving, especially while driving the Seward Highway on your way to/from work, rafting six-mile.

Unlike Brian, I do not suggest handguns. Actually, that advise is more for me than you. Because if I were to carry a handgun, I might be inclined to use it (on biting dog #4??).

(oh yeah, my contribution is gonna get a responce or two...Alaskans really, really love their dogs!)

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

you know Dennis... Dogs can sense a lot about a person....

LOOSE DOGS.. bring moose and bears BACK to the owner when they get in trouble.. usually at a dead run

train your dog to come and command... dont be afraid to let him run some.. but be advised that should he chase momma moose... and come racing back with tail hidden and ears pinned back.. you may not want him under your feet for protection... time to go up any little tree and let dog fend for its self for a few moments until she leaves..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I would be more concerned with the porcupines than moose or bears. It seems like each time we are on one of the major trails on the Kenai Peninsula, we come across a dog with a face full of quills.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I would be more concerned with the porcupines than moose or bears. It seems like each time we are on one of the major trails on the Kenai Peninsula, we come across a dog with a face full of quills.
    I swear those little punks stalk me and my dogs. Some dogs learn some don't. Carry a leatherman, you can usually get most of them with the pliers if you can keep the dog still enough to pull them out.

Ive only had to deal with Moose and black bears. No "bad" encounters yet.