Thread: Cantwell or Hope , I can't decide

Default Cantwell or Hope , I can't decide

Where would we have better luck at finding birds ? Looking for ptarmagin or grouse , I was told Hope was good for grouse , but didn't see one . What about Cantwell for ptarmagin?

I'd probably go towards Hope simply because its closer to town and daylight is short. But the main reason is the lack of snow in Cantwell right now. They have less than a foot so the birds will be spread out a lot. Normally when there is a lot of snow its relatively easy to hunt the birds as you go through the alder patches and flush them. However with no snow the whole area is a giant alder patch. Can be done, but just a lot harder than say with 4' of snow on the ground to help the bird cluster up in the really tall alders.

Good Luck.

Default Hope

Sounds god , but are there ptarmagin or just grouse in Hope? I heard around Summit Lake is good too .

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    I'd probably go towards Hope simply because its closer to town and daylight is short. But the main reason is the lack of snow in Cantwell right now. They have less than a foot so the birds will be spread out a lot. Normally when there is a lot of snow its relatively easy to hunt the birds as you go through the alder patches and flush them. However with no snow the whole area is a giant alder patch. Can be done, but just a lot harder than say with 4' of snow on the ground to help the bird cluster up in the really tall alders.

Good Luck.
    Cantwell hmmmmm; the wind is flat screaming through that neck of the road..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

O'Dark-30 Hope Road for Grouse, they will be eating the sand and gravel on the shoulder of the road, for the first 45 min. of daylight, also look in the trees along the shoulder, everything else is covered with ice and snow. So they need to collect the road gravel for their digestion.

The power line across from the Johnson Pass trail head is also good for Bunnies & Grouse.

Also the trail going into the Ole Wiebel Mine is full of grouse, it starts at the Outhouses/Rest area right by the Canyon Creek bridge, the trail goes along Canyon Cr. toward Summit Lake/Mills Cr.

The Ptarmigan are on top, up on the wind blown ridges, suggest Palmer Creek on Snow Machine and time of day.

Good Hunting (Avoid Mile 7.3 to Mile 8.3 Hope Road, Sunrise, AK.)

If all else fails, I have live fat Geese available for $29.95

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post

Good Luck.

only a foot of snow??....how far can you drive down the highway?....or are there too many snow drifts??
    "early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    O'Dark-30 Hope Road for Grouse, they will be eating the sand and gravel on the shoulder of the road, for the first 45 min. of daylight, also look in the trees along the shoulder, everything else is covered with ice and snow. So they need to collect the road gravel for their digestion.
    Just make sure you are not shooting on, from, or across the road.

Quote Originally Posted by sharksinthesalsa View Post
    only a foot of snow??....how far can you drive down the highway?....or are there too many snow drifts??
    I drove up the highway Saturday. You can only get a mile or two past the Native land in a truck. There is a HUGE block of ice blocking the middle of the road. There is 2 or 3 feet of snow, except where the wind has blown it away.

Saw one rabbit and lots of ptarmigan tracks, all on the native land, which if you don't know, is about the first 18 miles of the Cantwell side of the Denali Highway. Pretty much all the way to the Nenana boat launch.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

was at hope on tuesday and shot one grouse about a mile down from the cut-off