Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: gun missing from usps fairbanks

Default gun missing from usps fairbanks

Just interested I'm hearing other peoples thoughts on this matter.I purchase a gun off gunbroker for the amount of $1500 had it sent to a local offline dealer it arrived 2 weeks ago but he wasn't home to accept so the post office left a slip and since then it has mysteriously dissappeared it is insured how much pain is it going to be to get the item replaced if it doesn't show up by the way it is a Remington Alaskan titanium 30.06 hopefully there r no dishonest postal workers

Tim

Tim good luck getting your rifle sucks that this stuff happens!

I do not have any experience in this area or I would give you some insight.

If its insured through the post office you'll get your money but it will take a while, remember your dealing with the federal goverment. I would talk to the post master instead of the people behind the counter. good luck

Claims with the USPS are a pain! I sent a package with dies and bullets to my buddy in fairbanks. He got the destroyed box with a note saying it was destroyed in transit. It was insured and it still took 4 months. Go directly to the Postmaster in Fairbanks to get it started. Good luck!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    Claims with the USPS are a pain! I sent a package with dies and bullets to my buddy in fairbanks. He got the destroyed box with a note saying it was destroyed in transit. It was insured and it still took 4 months. Go directly to the Postmaster in Fairbanks to get it started. Good luck!
    LOL i got one of those packages that was not insured with a decapper in it.. empty box in a bag..... still have not seen it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I got some valuable information from the post master at the Anchorage airport post office. Get pictures of the to be shipped item prior to shipping.

I have gone to the trouble of wrapping all my to be shipped items in carpet padding, bought brand new for this purpose. I wrap with filament tape and have had nothing but comment about being the best packed box ever received. No movement with in the package. Picture proof for the postal inspectors goes along way for proof of the contents of the package.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

If your dealer got a slip then it arrived in Fairbanks. Much easier to narrow down the thief. Contact the Postal Inspectors. They will be interested in your stolen firearm. If you raise enough stink I think your rifle will appear. It was obviously in the carriers hands. He had to take it back to the post office and put it in a staging area for returns where fewer people had access. It's either in a good hiding hole or with someone from the night shift at the post office....and yes there are dishonest postal workers. Some get caught and go to jail.

I assume you checked to see if you dealer signed or didn't sign. Good luck.

I agree with Boudarc, grammas socks and sweater are one thing, a firearm is another. You raise a stink and eyebrows will raise.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Eyebrows may raise, but the chances of finding the firearm (or other goods) is not too good. About a year and a half ago I bought a rifle on Gunbroker from a seller in New Mexico. He shipped my rifle and another custom mauser at the same time. Mine was coming to FL, the other to Montana. Empty boxes arrived at both locations. The seller refunded the money but the guns were never found. Please explain how a Postal Inspector can fail to find the thief when everything is tracked! I'll tell you how: nobody in the post office will turn in their buddy who's pilfering the goods, or answer questions from law enforcement. I served 18 months on a Federal Grand Jury about 15 years ago and we had several cases of post office theft. One guy was caught on video pilfering tons of electronic equipment, loading them in his car and there in the same video were several of his cohorts watching the theft while having a smoke outside.; not one testified before the Grand Jury. Go to the postmaster and BATF and local law enforcement until someone listens. These stolen guns usually end up in the hands of felons who can't legally buy them.

Lost a very spendy SxS set of barrels though the post office years ago. The dealer went to pick them up the same day and they were never found plus he was in the shop when the slip was left with other mail on his counter. Recived a check in about six weeks. I should have drove the fifty miles to his shop.

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post
    Please explain how a Postal Inspector can fail to find the thief when everything is tracked!
    Tracking is not the same as full accountability. Only if a package is sent registered mail will each person who handles it be accountable. Registered mail must be signed for each time it is handled and is stored in a locked area separate from other mail. It is the most secure shipping method I know of and if I am serious about sending a firearm it is the method I use.

I got to visit the state of Alaska in July of 2006 on a fishing trip. When we flew back we sent our luggage back by UPS and brought our fish on the plane in place of luggage. I had a large suitcase and a cardboard rod tube that I bought at ups store. About ten days later UPS truck pulled in driveway and had rod tube but no suitcase. Driver said it probally got put on another truck and would arive in a day or two. About a week or so later still no suitcase. I run into local UPS driver and explained this to her and she give me a name and number to talk to. I called the guy explained this to him and he said to give him a few days and he would call me back. About a week later he called me back and said he was working on this and would call me back in a few days. A few days later he called me back and wanted more information about what was in the suitcase. About a week later he called me back and said my suitcase would arrive by UPS in about a week to ten days. And it did! It was tore up bad, and some of the clothes was missing but all my fishing stuff was inside and in good shape. Guy said he could not tell me where it was found but did get most of my stuff back to me. The suitcase had 2 7000 ambassadeurs, 1 6500 C4 ambassadeur, penn 8500 spinning reel, and okuma pack fly rod and reel combo plus other fishing gear. It was delivered about 5-6 weeks after rod tube was delivered. Also when rod tube come it had the whole end knocked out and you could turn it up and pour all the rods out on the ground but they had no dammage to them.
    This would not be complete with out rest of story. Sorry to make such a long post. When we got back to airport fish was not on plane. We sat in airport for 8 hours waiting on fish and the airport could not find them. We knew if we did not get the fish that day they would ruin. We finally give up and left the airport heading home fishless. I give woman at airport cell phone number and about 40 miles from airport she called and said they found our fish. We turned around and went back and got them. She said they had been put on another plane by mistake. We had halibut, king,silver, and I think another spices of salmon, plus ling cod in our containers. All were very good.

Default Dealing With USPS

I bought a 1894 Win. from an online auction house at the end of September. It arrived a couple weeks later with a broken tang. It took 4 phone calls to get the auction house to send the insurance slip. Took pics of the rifle, and went to the most expensive gunsmith I know to get a inflated estimate of repair and a statement of the value of the rifle in undamaged condition. He didn't disapoint, he charged me $45 for the statement and over valued the rifle. Went to the P.O. with the rifle, the sales receipt (that states that it is a rifle), the box (that is the size of the rifle), the pics of the rifle, and the statement from the gunsmith (stating it is a rifle), talked with the counter person (and showed him the rifle) and sent in the appropriate paperwork. Waited about 4 weeks and then got notice that my claim was denied.......Called in to USPS to find out why, the lady on duty told me that I had sent a pistol and it is illegal to send a pistol via USPS. I stated that I knew it was illegal to send a pistol via USPS, that this was a rifle. Asked her if it were a pistol that I had had sent why arent I in any trouble.......She stated in her most "I don't give a ****" voice...."Some do get through sir".....So have filed my apeal, sent in more pics of the rifle with a letter stating that the rifle is in fact a rifle, NOT a pistol. And 3 months later I am still waiting.......I think that the denial of my insurance claim is probably the normal responce from them....That they figure (like most insurance companies) that they might as well give me a denial, and that most peaple won't go to the trouble of filing an apeal......GOOD LUCK......

Got a box from family down in California for Christmas. It was a good sized box, about 2'x3'x3'. One whole side was ripped open when i picked it up. the lady behind the counter said "it was a long trip and they took the cheap route. maybe next time they should upgrade the shipping." as she smiled smugly. "WHAT" I asked, she just smiled. I asked her if she meant that my package would have been treated better if they had paid more than the $23 and used UPS. She shrugged her shoulders and walked away.

I don't mean to rant too much, but this kind of stuff just amazes me! There just seems to be NO accountability in gov't jobs anymore (maybe none in any jobs for that matter).

And the post office can't figure out why more and more people are shipping by other methods!

Quote Originally Posted by 4951tomm View Post
    Took pics of the rifle, and went to the most expensive gunsmith I know to get a inflated estimate of repair and a statement of the value of the rifle in undamaged condition. He didn't disapoint, he charged me $45 for the statement and over valued the rifle....
    So you're essentially admitting on a public forum that you are attempting to commit fraud by having the rifle "overvalued" by your expensive gunsmith? Perhaps I misunderstand what you are attempting to do. If you had it insured for the full purchase amount and it was destroyed in shipping then aren't you entitled to the full value of the insurance you purchased?

For you folks that ship by UPS, in Alaska this means you are sending under a contract with the post office. It is a huge scam that UPS pulls off. The money they collect from the customer is just a rip off. Ever wonder why it takes longer to ship second day with UPS, than it does with the post office?

Registered mail is the way to ship when you use the Post Office, no doubt about that.

By the way a writ can be filled in a court of law against any agency that fails to do there job. Go through and attorney and ask him to produce such a writ and to file the writ in federal court. I almst slip and said to use and honest attorny, but we know their is no such thing.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

My experiences are quite different than other people are reporting. I mail out my photographs every week in the summer to lower 48 tourists and usually once each summer one is damaged.
    Generally speaking the person who mailed the package should file the claim after the person receiving the item takes it to the post office for inspection. After this, they send me a copy of the paperwork and I immediately mail out a replacement.
    I never had a claim denied and usually receive payment from the PO within 3 weeks.

Make sure the claim is legite and all the I's are dotted and the T's are crossed and everything should go fine. Just because the package is insured for $500 doesnt mean squat. The item being insured must be worth $500 and you have to be able to prove it with a sales receipt or documentation.

Don't like the post office? Try having FedEx or UPS deliver a box of bullets weighing 60 pounds to Alaska for about $11. Or ask Fedex or UPS to deliver a letter to Florida for $.44.
    Tennessee

Default In jail

I missed our regular postman last week and when I mentioned it to a neighbor I found out why - he was in jail. He got caught up in the prostituion ring involving underaged girls that was busted here in Achorage a couple of weeks ago. Seemed like a nice guy but I heard the PO had been trying to get rid of him for some time.

Yes- there are dishonest people working for the post office also but like most places most of them are good hard working people like us just trying to make an honest living.

Besides - how could I afford to ship all my lead up here without flat rate boxes?
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default Nope No Fraud

Quote Originally Posted by Chisana View Post
    So you're essentially admitting on a public forum that you are attempting to commit fraud by having the rifle "overvalued" by your expensive gunsmith? Perhaps I misunderstand what you are attempting to do. If you had it insured for the full purchase amount and it was destroyed in shipping then aren't you entitled to the full value of the insurance you purchased?
    Nope, Not at all. I merely took it to a gunsmith to get an evaluation, he did the rest. Its not often that I seek out the most expensive gunsmith but, in this case, he was somewhat predictable. My understanding is, that they (USPS) will pay for repairs only when dealing with a firearm. And you and I both know that a rifle with a welded tang will never reach its full potential value. Estimated value of this particular Win. in unbroken condition would be $900. I paid $375. What I am hoping to get is the amount that a repair would cost + whatever I can get for parts out of it......If I'm lucky I may just break even........

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast