Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 12/24/09 Ptarmigan report

Default 12/24/09 Ptarmigan report

with the unseasonable weather we decided to head to Mt. Ptarmigan in hopes for some wing shooting. The high winds made for difficult shooting but we were lucky enough to bring eight birds to hand. At one point I was catching my breath and at least 30 birds came flying around the corner. I don't know who scared who more but after dropping my gloves and the bird I had in hand I can promise there is one less bird flying around Mt. Ptarmigan.

enjoy the pictures

Default Gee...

... just can't seem to find "Mt. Ptarmigan" on Google Earth.
    Nice birds, and love that gun.

Default mt ptarmagin ?

Not ptarmagin valley is it , can't find anything related to it , is it even close to Wasilla ?

hey guys I don't believe you're going to find Mt. Ptarmigan on any map or google earth however I can tell you its in the Fairbanks area. No intentions of misleading anyone but I'm sure yall will understand trying to keep a honey hole under the hat. I can tell you we were up high and now have sore legs.

Some good eats you got there. What shotgun is that?

Yeah, congrats there on a great time. Looks like some tasty eats. No worries on not wanting to share your spot. I'm sure it was hard earned.

Talking Dog?

I dont see a dog in the picture..I thought Ptarmigan Mountain was only open to hunting birds with dogs??? :-)

Burke,

My Brittanys and I go there regularly!

Jim

Burke, the dog will be on the mountain as soon as he is old enough. Currently "Banks" is just shy of four months so it'll be a while before he is flushing birds. Now it's just a waiting game but I can't wait for those days to come.

Jim, nice birds. Looks like you've been taking advantage of the warm weather.

Whenever I can, Ritchie! Whenever I can. As long as I can. Long ago I crossed the line into a world of upland fanaticism.

Jim

P.S. Here's a few more!

Jim

Default of course, of course

Jim I knew I could count on you keeping it "legal" with britts! It looks like the warm spell has been good to you...we still have too much snow for the dogs to go well on ptarmigan mountain. Is it normally that accessible this time of year for you up there?

What flavor dog Ritchie? You will love working with a dog!

Great stuff and great pics! You have some beautiful dogs Jim.

Burke, I mainly target waterfowl so I got a chocolate lab shipped up from Wisconsin. So far he is doing great and I can't wait to get him in the field.

Nice looking dogs and a side by. Thanks for the pics. Makes me miss my upland days back home.

Thanks everyone for the kind words!

Burke,

Well, there has been somewhat of a snow drought the last...I dunno, ten years or so. And the dogs and I will often hunt places that are wind blown so it's easier on the dogs and me. Otherwise I have to hunt as hard for places to hunt as well as finding where the birds are. But it's all good!

Jim

Default snow depth

Burke,
    I was out your way on x-mas day, & was sinking about 10-12 inches each step with snowshoes on. After 1/2 hr to 40 minutes & only covering 1/2 mile we just called it off as the dog was just swimming & then started walking on the back of my shoes.

I need someone to go through with a snow machine & set some tracks.

Here's a few more pics...

Different day, different gun, but still another 16 gauge!

Here's the last ptarmigan I took this past spring. I'd just recieved my Connecticut Shotgun Manufacturing RBL 28 gauge, a sweet little gun, and I stole some time to take my pup and one of my older Brittanys out for some fun on April 30th.

Rusty, 8 yo, looking back to where he knows there are other birds to be pointed if I'd just get this one out of his mouth!

Enough for now. Don't want to bore anyone!

Jim

HAha your funny. BORE? who would you be boring sir? These are fantastic pictures.

Jim nice pictures. Was able to get out today but the birds seem to be on edge. Brought one bird to hand but still a great day outdoors. Temps ranged from 16 below in the low ground compared to 20 above on the hill tops.

Thanks, Wolf0994!

And you know, there are other kinds of upland birds a person can hunt as well!

Like ruffed grouse!

And sharptailed grouse!

But I guess this thread is about ptarmigan, like this one my pup Charlie is holding...'cept it is a early fall willow ptarmigan, not a winter-white rock ptarmigan.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast