Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25

Thread: In March - Custom 340 Weatherby Magnum

  1. #1

    Default In March - Custom 340 Weatherby Magnum

    Will have a custom 340 Weatherby Magnum on the way some time this coming March of 2010.

    1. It will be a German Mark V receiver with a 26" #2 Krieger Stainless barrel chambered in 340Wby with no muzzle brake.

    2. It will have a McMillian stock (Green) and bedded to fit the #2 contour of the Krieger barrel.

    3. The older style of Wheaterby trigger will be replaced with a Timney trigger and adjusted to no less that 2 1/2 pounds and no more than 3 pounds.

    4. The receiver will be refinished as well as the bolt.

    5. It will have Talley bases and rings.

    I have not decided what scope or power to put on it yet.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  2. #2

    Default

    Need some opinions on best powder for the 340Wby using the 210gr Partition and the 250gr Partition and Accubond. Thank you, any help would be appreciated.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  3. #3
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Need some opinions on best powder for the 340Wby using the 210gr Partition and the 250gr Partition and Accubond. Thank you, any help would be appreciated.
    I've tried many different powders and have had best success of velocity/accuracy with RL 22, IMR 7828 & H4831. IME H4831 is a great all around powder, but RL22 or IMR 7828 are better for the heavier bullets. I am looking forward to your future posts on your new 340, BT.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1Cor15:19 View Post
    I've tried many different powders and have had best success of velocity/accuracy with RL 22, IMR 7828 & H4831. IME H4831 is a great all around powder, but RL22 or IMR 7828 are better for the heavier bullets. I am looking forward to your future posts on your new 340, BT.
    Thank you for the impute and it is consistent with what I have researched at the moment but needed someone who has had experience reloading with the cartridge. Thanks again.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  5. #5
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6

    Default

    I take it you are going chrome moly for the barrel?

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FROST18E View Post
    I take it you are going chrome moly for the barrel?
    Yes, I did not mean to type stainless when I first posted.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  7. #7
    New member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    Yes, I did not mean to type stainless when I first posted.
    I was going to say that I could only get a #5 profile in stainless for my upcoming .338-06 build.

    Your build sounds really nice, look forward to a later update with pics.

  8. #8

    Default

    I will be using the 210gr Partition, the 250gr Sierra Game King and the 250gr Patition and Accubond for my load testing when the rifle is finished. Powders will be IMR4350, IMR7828, RL-22, H4350, H4831sc. Brass will be Weatherby. Primers will be Fed 215, CCI250, Rem 9 1/2M. I am really looking forward to this rifle. The 340Wby is a 338Win Mag on steroids.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  9. #9
    Member 1Cor15:19's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Dillingham, AK
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    The 340Wby is a 338Win Mag on steroids.
    My thoughts exactly.

  10. #10

    Default

    Final Component Adjustment

    I have decided to use the following components when my custom 340Wby arrives.

    Powders - IMR4350, IMR7828, H4350, H4831, RL-22, RL-25

    Bullets - Sierra 215gr GK, Sierra 250gr GK, Hornady 200gr SST, Nosler 200gr Acc, Nosler 210gr Partition, Nosler 250gr Partition, Nosler 250gr Accubond.

    Brass - Weatherby

    Primers - Fed 215, CCI250, Rem 9 1/2M

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska
    Posts
    1,461

    Default Too cool!!!

    This is a great project and WAY SEXY CARTRIDGE. Many years ago (like 20 or so) I had a serious b#$%er for the 340WBY, but I went to the 375H&H instead with no regrets.

    Knowing you BT, you'll research the heck out of it and come up with the perfect component combination. Who knows, maybe this hard hitting rocket will even give you good reason to try out the TSX's...again.

    Did you do a 10 twist?

    Doc
    Last edited by Doc; 01-05-2010 at 14:26. Reason: got rid of the word boner

  12. #12

    Default

    Yes, the rifling is 1 and 10

    No thank you on the TSX, been there and done that in the field and I am not impressed at all. I will not pay that much to get the average terminal to below average results. They are accurate, you can get velocity with them but I do not like how they are inconsistent when it comes to quickly dispatching game.

  13. #13
    Member whateveri8's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Juneau - Auke Bay
    Posts
    185

    Default good choice in barrel length

    I'm assuming you chose the 340 Weatherby over the 338 Win because you want the max load capacity so I'm giving you data assumed in the cartridge's max load capacity.
    In my Ruger #1 340 weatherby 25" heavy mag contour barrel, I use
    H4831 at max load with Hawk 230gr round tip bullets. I've found these round tips expand very nice and retain most of their origional weight without breaking to pieces.
    the 230 grain gives me the perfect medium between the faster velocity lighter weight 210 in this caliber and the ft/lbs energy of the 250 grain bullets.

    I did not get an actual speed because I have not replaced my chronometer yet (yes, I did shoot my chronometer again and yes this is the second time i have shot a chronometer) but you're going to get a little over 200fps faster on the 340 over a 338 win mag but develop almost 4000 ft/lbs at 100yds and at 400yds your still pushing 2600 ft/lbs energy! enough to plant Bullwinkle in place while he's still chewing willlow.

    Since this is a custom weatherby, why did you not choose the 338-378?

    I have a 30-378 and all I can say is awesome! It's a true super mag. I used to be able to devistate concrete blocks at 500yds with it. These days I can't see a concrete block 10 feet without optics so my long range rifles are kept in the back shelves of my gun room.

    The 338-378 looks to be the best of the 3xx-378 line as far as long range to energy ratio. It's a lot harder hitter than the .340 by over 1000 ft/lbs energy based on the same bullet.
    God, Guns and Guts is what made America Great

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whateveri8 View Post
    I'm assuming you chose the 340 Weatherby over the 338 Win because you want the max load capacity so I'm giving you data assumed in the cartridge's max load capacity.
    In my Ruger #1 340 weatherby 25" heavy mag contour barrel, I use
    H4831 at max load with Hawk 230gr round tip bullets. I've found these round tips expand very nice and retain most of their origional weight without breaking to pieces.
    the 230 grain gives me the perfect medium between the faster velocity lighter weight 210 in this caliber and the ft/lbs energy of the 250 grain bullets.

    I did not get an actual speed because I have not replaced my chronometer yet (yes, I did shoot my chronometer again and yes this is the second time i have shot a chronometer) but you're going to get a little over 200fps faster on the 340 over a 338 win mag but develop almost 4000 ft/lbs at 100yds and at 400yds your still pushing 2600 ft/lbs energy! enough to plant Bullwinkle in place while he's still chewing willlow.

    Since this is a custom weatherby, why did you not choose the 338-378?

    I have a 30-378 and all I can say is awesome! It's a true super mag. I used to be able to devistate concrete blocks at 500yds with it. These days I can't see a concrete block 10 feet without optics so my long range rifles are kept in the back shelves of my gun room.

    The 338-378 looks to be the best of the 3xx-378 line as far as long range to energy ratio. It's a lot harder hitter than the .340 by over 1000 ft/lbs energy based on the same bullet.
    First let me thank you for your load idea in using 230gr Hawk bullet, I have not even considered this bullet, so thank you.

    Now your questions in the order you asked them:

    1. I did not choose the 338/378 for a couple of reasons.

    (a) I had a German Mark V receiver that was once a 300Wby. I did not want to go to the expense to modify the magazine, and bolt face.

    (b) I do not like brakes so I did not want to suffer under the sever recoil of the 338,378 without a brake.

    (c) I did not want a real heavy rifle which the 338/378 would have required so as to help control recoil since I wanted to use the rifle in the mountains spotting and stalking game.

    (d) Since I was in my twenties I always wanted a 340Wby because in my thinking and opinion it would truly handle any situation my hunting in North America would require whether up close or far off on reasonable shots to insure good kills on game.

    (e) Last and not least I believe there are certain cartridges that go to far beyond what is need for most applications of hunting with a certain caliber and I believe the 338/378 to be one of those cartridges. Now under stand I am a hunter first and what I mean is that I try not to take shots over 500yds and on some game I want the shot under 300 and then there are a few things I have hunted that I want under 200yds.

    2. WOW!!! That is more of an answer for why I have chosen a certain cartridge and rifle in a long time. Thanks again for the load information.

  15. #15

    Default

    I will also after using the above components work with 225gr Partition and Accubond and also MRP with 210gr, 215gr, 225gr and 250gr bullets.

  16. #16

    Talking

    I am excited about my Custom 340Wby coming in March and also starting the load work getting it ready for next years hunts. It should be a ball. I will be able to extend my range with the 340Wby over my 338Win Mag plus will be able to maintain over 2,000 pounds of energy out to 600yds and that is with a 210 or 215gr bullet and the 250gr moving over 3000fps will be phenomenal even at 600yds.

    I will be practicing at 400yds, 500yds, and 600yds for my long shots. I really am looking forward to all of this especially hunting next fall with the 340Wby. I will post pictures of the rifle when it comes in and I will also post results of my load work, pictures of targets and chrony readings.


    Ain't life just great with a Weatherby, I am back in the saddle with a Mark V

  17. #17
    Premium Member MarineHawk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    1,941

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I am excited about my Custom 340Wby coming in March and also starting the load work getting it ready for next years hunts. It should be a ball. I will be able to extend my range with the 340Wby over my 338Win Mag plus will be able to maintain over 2,000 pounds of energy out to 600yds and that is with a 210 or 215gr bullet and the 250gr moving over 3000fps will be phenomenal even at 600yds.

    I will be practicing at 400yds, 500yds, and 600yds for my long shots. I really am looking forward to all of this especially hunting next fall with the 340Wby. I will post pictures of the rifle when it comes in and I will also post results of my load work, pictures of targets and chrony readings.

    Ain't life just great with a Weatherby, I am back in the saddle with a Mark V

    Beartooth:

    If you are going to shoot that far, have you thought about loading, just for fun, the 250gr or 300gr Lapua Scenar bullets, which have BCs in the 0.600-0.900 range, and (exaggerating a little) barely slow down during the first 500 yds or so.

    For serious hunting, have you thought about loading the 275gr Swift A-Frame bullets? Or the 300gr Woodleighs? I have strongly considered taking up handloading for the first time, just to load stuff like those.

    Also, not to defend the TSXs, with which I have had good luck in the field, if you want to shoot any factory loads, the factory Cor-Bon 225gr TTSX loads are pretty amazing just in terms of extreme ballistics. With the published specs, with their 0.514 BC, they exit the barrel at 3,100fps, and still move at 2,381fps/2,832ft-lbs at 400yds. Forum member theONE73 told me (he goes by another name on the Weatherby forums) that he consistently is getting that factory load to chrono at an average of 2,225fps out of his Mk V Synthetic. If true, that looks something like this:

    Yds / Vel. / Impact / Energy / Drift (10 mph)

    000 / 3225 / -1.75 / 5196 / 0.00

    050 / 3121 / 0.99 / 4867 / 0.56

    100 / 3024 / 2.83 / 4569 / 0.96

    150 / 2929 / 3.72 / 4286 / 1.62

    200 / 2837 / 3.59 / 4021 / 2.56

    250 / 2746 / 2.37 / 3767 / 3.79

    300 / 2658 / 0.00 / 3530 / 5.32

    350 / 2571 / -3.61 / 3303 / 7.17

    400 / 2486 / -8.53 / 3088 / 9.35

    450 / 2403 / -14.87 / 2885 / 11.88

    500 / 2322 / -22.72 / 2694 / 14.77

    Those, essentially, are .338-378 numbers.

    More energy at 400-yds than a 30-06 at the muzzle and dropping less than 9-inches below the sight line. Also, hits at about 225 yds the same as a .338 Win does at the muzzle. Pretty impressive.

    That being said, I bought five boxes of them. I shot one box out of my Accumark a few months ago, and my best groups were just under an inch at 100 yds, which I think is as good as I can usually hope for. But, and I don't know if it was just luck or the bullet/barrel combo, but I have shot two boxes of the factory Wby 250gr NP loads out of the same gun, and have been able to get the best groups I have ever shot with any rifle ever--including a few groups touching or less-than 1/2 inch. It's possible that I was just lucky those two days, but I am considering sticking with the NPs for that reason alone.

  18. #18

    Default

    Thank you for your comments they certainly are worth consideration. Thanks for taking the time. The Weatherby ammo is no accident or luck as far as shooting good in Mark V rifles. I really like the 250gr Partition so I will have fun putting all this together and the load work finding the hunting load I want.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

  19. #19
    Member c04hoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    572

    Default

    Beartooth, I agree 100% with your signature line. I just mounted a new scope on my Mark V Stainless .300. Can't wait to get it sighted in. Also trying to work out a sheep hunt with my Ultra Lightweight .280. I'm also contemplating a DGR in .375 Wby for big critters in Alaska and/or Africa. The Mark V is my favorite rifle

  20. #20

    Default

    Here is a quote from someone who shoots and hunts a lot - "I've shot four .340's. All of them liked the factory 250gr Nosler Partitions. Only one liked a 200gr load...it is poison on elk and buffalo with the 250 Partition, and crushes whitetails and mule deer. If there is a best all around cartridge the .340 is it."

    I have a few friends that only shoot the 340Wby out west and they say, "if you want to use a 200-210gr bullet stick with the 300 magnums using the 200gr to 210gr bullets, but if you are going to use the 340Wby whether on whitetail, mule deer, elk, moose, black bear, browns, bison or african plains game, you need to use what the 340Wby was designed to do and go with the 250gr bullet with the Partition as first pick if your rifle will shoot it. The 340Wby will hammer any of the above animals and put them down in short order and the ballistics are like shooting a 300Win mag with a 180gr bullet."

    I have read for the last week and it does not matter what I read, who I contact by phone or email about the 340Wby, the consensus is to use the 250gr bullet in the 340Wby. So to save money and time I am going to use the 250gr Sierra, 250gr Accubond, and 250gr Partition for my load work and not put myself through all of the other.

    If I want to use a 210gr partition with lots of energy to bag deer or other game I will use my 338Win mag or if I want to use 200gr, 208 or 210 bullets I will use the 300Wby. If I want to use a 225gr bullet and bag a deer or other game within 200yds I will use my 358Win.

    But if I want to bag anything from 0-400yds without a bunch of hold over I will use the 340Wby pushing a 250gr bullet at 3000fps. Also, if I want to shoot the 250gr bullet farther I will have practice and know the clicks needed for adjustment to accomplish my desired shot. I think this is the most economical way and also the wise thing to do in light of an overwhelming consensus of those who actually hunt with the 340Wby.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •