Thread: 475 linebaugh or 460?

Default 475 linebaugh or 460?

Trying to figure out what revolver to pick up for hunting. Either a smith 460 or a Freedom Arms 475. The rig would be set up w/ a Leupold scope and 7.5" barrel. If anyone has one of these pistols it would be nice to hear your thoughts as well as see some pics!

I have neither, so I should probably keep my trap shut - but - The FA475 Linebaugh is definately the better "stopper/killer" and right at a pound lighter to boot. So, being an Alaskan, where you're probably going after a moose, if it were me-I'd go with the 475 Linebaugh but would probably get one from the BFR precision center and safe a few bucks for more powder, primers & bullets. If you find the 45 Colt not enough gun - I wouldn't go with just a faster 45 caliber slug - I would move up to either the 475 or a 500. Nothing wrong with the 460 - but it is "just" a super duper 45 Colt. Wish you the best on your next hunt with whichever one you decide on.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Trying to figure out what revolver to pick up for hunting. Either a smith 460 or a Freedom Arms 475. The rig would be set up w/ a Leupold scope and 7.5" barrel. If anyone has one of these pistols it would be nice to hear your thoughts as well as see some pics!
    I do not own nor have I shot the S&W 460. I've a little experience with the X-Frame (S&W 500) and while the S&W is a nice handgun, it's a bit unfair to compare it to the FA Model 83 IMO. I do not own a FA at this moment, but if I were looking for a hunting revolver it would undoubtedly be my first choice. Perhaps the 460 is a better long range cartridge and the X-Frame may be a better platform for 200 yard six gunning, but if I want to shoot that far I'd prefer to carry and use a rifle. The Model 83 is simply a better built handgun and is a real joy to carry and fire. IMO it handles as a revolver should and provides significant power in a portable package. I've never owned or shot a FA that was not exquisitely crafted and superbly accurate. Excellent triggers are standard, tolerances are impeccable, and the strength and durability is second to none. You can save a little coin by choosing the Field grade; it is matte finished and costs less, but it is a wonderful firearm and performs exactly as FA's more expensive Premier grade.

To me it's a no brainer .475. If I were going to take on a new handgun caliber, hands down it would be the .475 Linebaugh. In fact my plans for my new 45 Colt were almost thwarted because I came across an excellent deal on a BFR 475. But, my plan was to get another 45 to simplify some things. I just am not quite ready to take on a new caliber to load and cast for quite yet. I sent you a pm.

FA to S&W is not a fair comparison unless we are talking S&W Custom shop made to order gun.

Comparing rounds, 460 to 475 is fair. I went 460 after much thought and research and it's become my go to gun far more than I ever thought it would. Saying it's a super duper 45 Colt is like saying 5.56/223 is just a super duper .22lr.

My reasons for going 460 when I started shopping for a 500 were numerous.

1> I liked that I can get something it will shoot at about anyplace that sells ammo. It will take 45acp with clips, 45lc, 454, and 460 and that versatility gives me a very wide range of uses for this one gun.

2> As a reloader I enjoy a vast verity of bullets to pick from in 45cal as opposed to the much slimmer pickings in other calibers.

3> 460 is the fastest, flattest shooting big bore and it can also chuck bullets as heavy as I would ever want to from a handgun. 405s at 1400fps from a 4" pipe is nothing to scoff at and I can go heavier still if I feel a need. I can hold my 200 grain JSPs on a paper plate at 200 yards with the scope off sticks and will go on my next sheep trip as my primary gun with this load.

4> People I trusted told me the progressive rifling is just dead nuts accurate and after I got mine I found that they were all under stating what it will do . . . likely because no one believes it till they shoot one.

5> It was by far the best value for the money in terms of the gun itself and the ongoing ammo expense the way I burn through it.

I've been pleased well beyond my expectations by my "X" frame 460V and find it to be about the most useful gun (not just handgun) I have ever had. Iím sure you would also be well pleased with a FA475 or some of the others around, but I have seen no reason to take a rifle afield in over a year and I doubt that would be true had I not gone with the 460.

Can't find a picture with the scope on but here it is with the wife's 357 Ladysmith. I will see if I have time to put the scope on and get a pic to post tomorrow.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default I have shot the model above in the pic

In the model I shot the 200gr hornady vmax or something, freaking screaming round! Then shot some 400gr+, not sure about the exact grain. It was hard cast and was a heavy hitter! A few rounds and I was done, could have done a couple more but for a first timer I satified with a cylinder full. .45 long colts and even .454 ammo is cake in that thing. So the longer barrel versions should be just as good plus with the scope even better.
    On the other, mise well just carry that as the main weapon since it will weight as much a light rifle! Same as the above poster with the pic. That is the only reason I would consider getting one. Other than that I am happy with the G20 for now. Mainly just the weight issue.
    If you want one go for it. I would send Ranger Rick a PM as I believe he might have both calibers but he likes the .500S&W. Not sure on the reason but I have seen a few member post that they the .500 is superior for some reason, maybe better choice for bear protection close up. The .460 I always read about being a long distance handgun cartridge in the magazines and such.
    Let us know what you decide to do!

JMHO but the 475 and 480 still deliver a good bullet downrange with a little less wear on the hand and wrist.The 500 linbaugh (SBH) I shot was easier than the 454 Cashull (FA) both with 7 1/2" barrels