Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: killing for profit?

Question killing for profit?

Some friends and I had a little conversation the other day about killing for profit and the center of the discussion was mainly the one's who travel all over killing animals on video for the sake of selling videos and obtaining sponsers. It wasn't about outfitters, guides or subsistance. Those folks have made a job and living almost year round traveling and killing. Just curious what some of your opinions are about it and do you also enjoy watching the videos they make? Thanks.
    If you like getting kicked by a mule...then you'll "love" shooting my .458.

Some are better than others but I sure wish that I could make a living hunting! Most of the meat from those hunts is donated to charities and needy people so I really don't have a problem with it.

I have no issue with it. No more than I have an issue with authors that travel the world to write about it in a magazine or book. I'll have to admit that I have learned several things from videos and appreciate the ability to learn how to turkey hunt right in your living room.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I have no issue with it. No more than I have an issue with authors that travel the world to write about it in a magazine or book. I'll have to admit that I have learned several things from videos and appreciate the ability to learn how to turkey hunt right in your living room.
    Heck yeah, I never even thought about hunting turkey till I saw Michael Wadel do it on the outdoors channel ,now it's on a growing list of things I would like to do in the south.

I don't watch them. I tried to watch the Outdoor Channel on Direct-TV, but I was repulsed that the so called hunter always laughs after he kills an animal. In 55 years of hunting, I never laughed after killing an animal. Sometimes Happy, often Sad, and always Reverent, but never laughed like a silly jack@ss. I prefer to read about real hunters, who went afield for months, or years at a time, and lived in the wilderness, men who were outdoorsmen not entertainers.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i suppose i enjoy the shows. and my understanding of them is they are opperating under regualar managment seasons and are not being "GRANTED" speacial tags that would take away from local meat hunters. I compair it, as i really dont have an issue with Guides working up here for profit in the same sence until they start detracting from local users groups. if a guy can make an income FINE.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Heck yeah, I never even thought about hunting turkey till I saw Michael Wadel do it on the outdoors channel ,now it's on a growing list of things I would like to do in the south.
    You don't need to go to the south. They are everywhere in the lower 48. My daughter and I shot a couple in California last year. Definately on top of my list of fun hunting.

but I was repulsed that the so called hunter always laughs after he kills an animal.
    I am not going to be an appologist for some of those guys. There are a few decent shows on the Outdoor channel and some pretty bad ones. The good shows go places I may never see and some of them produce shows that are good quality. One of my favorite shows ever was a black powder hunt that went deep into the jungle of Africa for some little unknown antelope the size of a big dog. You could tell from the video that the hunt was tough and the hunter lived just like the natives that were guiding him for a few days. No four star lodge, just sleeping on the ground with the bugs and snakes. It was great to watch.

However, I cannot say I haven't gotten excited at a shot and smiled......or maybe even laughed. I know when my son shot his first deer we shared an excited hug, smile, and chuckle.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Turkeys and hogs, great hunting and great eating!

I guided hunter when I was young and still profit from quail hunting as well as white tail hunting back home. I've never been overly stoked about watching someone run around shooting stuff.

I can play a few rounds of golf a year but I would never watch it on TV.
    ><((((>.`..`.. ><((((>`..`.><((((>

"People who drink light 'beer' don't like the taste of beer; they
    just like to pee a lot." --Capitol Brewery

The next time you watch one, watch the hunter reaction when he hits the animal. He giggles like a bunch of 9 years old school girls that just did something naughty. I am OK with the educational aspect of videos, I am even OK with the silly clothes they wear, it is just the little girl giggles they erupt into, like they just did a naughty and got caught.

The underlying philosophical question is more about killing for "ego" and not for profit.

Many (but not all) of the hunters you see on these videos are more about inflating their own egos than anything else, and in that sense I don't like it. And in that sense, the "blame" as it were goes to both the hunter(s) and producer/videographer.

There's nothing inherently wrong with writing about, or videoing, outdoors adventures and hunts in order to make some money. And at the same time to educate others. But like with anything these days, it's the scale to which the truly bad and disrespectful has overwhelmed the good and respectful, and tainted the whole enterprise.

Like others, I decided to see what the Outdoor Channel was all about and make up my own mind. Overall, I came away disgusted by what was portrayed and shown.

Hunting for profit isnt that bad, its the Antler hunts in rut that seems out of wack.
    Thats a relm of "Hunting" I cant understand.
    Im not against it, just not a part of that type of hunting.

Treestands, blind tents, food plots, scent killers, coughing mufflers,camoflauge "Systems" and all the commercial "drag" these guys put on are all so Unnessary

The thing to watch is some queer crying and choking after shooting...then fondling the antlers...~~LOL!!~~ what are they hunting for??

I guess if its gonna get corperate sponsership and pay he bills a guys gonna do it.
    Donating rutty meat to those hungrey enough to actually eat is is about the only positive thing I can think of............. maby some like it.............?

I hunt for "Profit" I guess,since I'm making a living at it, but thats a direct result of utilizing the animal and its meats parts after the animal has been caught and utilized, not from a vid of the killing.

I guess I should make an effort to profit from my amature photography.......and still utilize the whole animal.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I agree with the "ego" comments and also am repulsed by the cackling idiots when they shoot something.

IMO instead of giving the meeting to someone who needs it (aka welfare in most cases) why not take the person in need out and teach them to hunt...learn to be a provider instead of a "feed me".

The one I really enjoy watching who has the utmost respect for the land and the animals he hunts...Ted Nugent.

Default hunting

I cant believe this is a "hunting forum" There are a lot of self proclaimed hunters on here that think "their style" is better than everyone else. I watch and like the outdoor channel, you wont get any apologies from me. To the fellow who doesnt like the laughter..... you sound like a joy to be with. If hunting makes you sad dont do it! I will never be able to hunt in all the places the TV programs go, so it is interesting for me to see and watch. do I agree with everything on the outdoor channel, no of course not but that doesnt mean I have to get on a public forum and tell everyone how bad they are! There is a bowhunter/writer from Co. (bushrat knows him) that writes more BS than anyone Ive ever heard, does that give me the right to slander him all over the web?? Of course not I just dont read his garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by Yukon254
    There is a bowhunter/writer from Co. (bushrat knows him) that writes more BS than anyone Ive ever heard, does that give me the right to slander him all over the web?? Of course not I just dont read his garbage.
    Wow, Dave, not sure where that comment came from. C'mon.

Merry Christmas to you and the family, Lori says hi too.

Default Wow??

Not sure what you dont get about that comment(bushrat) it is pretty straight forward. I wont stoop to putting names down, it proves nothing, a lot of what the writer Im talking about puts down on paper is garbage to me, he spins things to try and sway readers to his point of veiw, and i dont like that.If it were all true OK fine but its not.

Stranger you dont like hunting the rut, then dont! But dont put yourself up on a pedestal, it might not be politically correct to say this but its a fact, and it in my mind the ultimate in disrespect to our fish/wildlife and that is meat waste. Ive lived and traveled the north all my life and the waste that occurs in the native community's is sick, dont give me the BS that it doesnt happen, it does on a large scale and here in Canada our wardens hands are tied. Yea im a little peeved at this thread, it seems every time I come on to this site (less every day) someone is complaining about other hunters and how they do things. we should all uphold hunter ethics, I have no problem with criticizing those that dont. But to criticize just because its not your way isnt right. I couldnt count the number of hunting photos Ive seen on here hows that any different than TV???

Quote Originally Posted by yukon254 View Post
    To the fellow who doesnt like the laughter..... you sound like a joy to be with. If hunting makes you sad dont do it!

You addressing me, Sir........? I have just retired form 36 years of Alaska Hunt Guiding, and 55 years of personal hunting, commercial fishing, and Homesteading.

It is about reverence and respect for the animals, If YOU don't respect the animals, if YOU have not the ability to honor the Majesty of the the quarry you pursue, YOU are cheating yourself of much of the joy of being afield.

Default TV Killings

While I do not intensely watch many of the outdoor hunting shows on TV, the TV is often on and tuned to the two networks that air the hunting shows. The only shows I actually watch will always involve spot and stalk wilderness hunts. And the shows I enjoy generally show one kill per show.

While I am not criticizing the following hunting styles, I simply do not enjoy watching TX ranch hunts over corn bait, high-stand box blind hunts, farm hunts over specially planted fields, bait hunts for bears or any hunt for hogs or turkeys. Some of the current "ego shows" that feature midwest farm hunts or bear-over-bait often view three kills per show, sometimes more. Again, what one hunter enjoys most is a personal deal. But the shows featuring the previously mentioned stuff are the shows I can miss. If you like em, well fine. We can both be right.

I also dislike all the hootin and hollerin thats going on after a TV kill. Seriously, on my personal hunts as well as my professional hunts there seldom is any of that "superbowl touchdown" celebrations stuff, short of a "high five" or one of those awkard hugs. Generally, while we are glad that the target animal has become dead, we are usually so glad that we are still alive that there just isn't any unneccessary energy expended or time wasted on an excessive celebration.

So...I enjoy the shows that feature a hunt, a real hunt for really wild animals. The actual kill, while desired and expected, is optional. And the hootin and hollerin "superbowl touchdown" type of celebration is totally foreign to me.

Dennis

As I said,
    "its the Antler hunts in rut that seems out of wack.
    Thats a relm of "Hunting" I cant understand.
    Im not against it, just not a part of that type of hunting."

Obviously I dont hunt during the rut, Yukon, and nor do I condem it, I just see no reason for such, and I have tryed rutted meat,then spit it in the trash,so its not to my taste, but thats me, and the other 7,000,000,000 people on this earth can carry on eating what they want with no interferance from me.

No pedastal here,no political bull****, Im sure we all hunt for our own reasons, some I jive with,and some that I do not understand, or give a **** to.

If, Yukon, ya dont like our opinions, why read them and post yours?
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Default Yukon's slick...

wow, what a nice jab from Yukon on Native hunters! watin' for the TKO!

Default Agl

Yes I was talking to you, I have been guiding almost as long as you have, and I to have great respect for our wildlife, I to do am a bit quieter and dont yell/holler when I kill an animal or guide someone who does. My point is that I respect other hunters too, and understand we are all different and show emotions in different ways, one is not right over the other, yet you and others that posted on this thread made it sound like the fellows on TV were all slob hunters and their ethics were not up to your standards!! i have guided a good many of those you see on TV (fishermen and hunters, I have some booked now for next year) most are very nice people who love to hunt and in my experience most of them have impeccable ethics. After all your years guiding I would have thought you would understand how happy most southern hunters are to get a chance to be here and hunt, then to kill a nice animal... well of course they are happy and there is nothing wrong with showing it.
    ATA "happy to be alive"???? not sure I want to hunt with you! Im kidding I know what you are getting at.
    Stranger I read things here because I think its interesting to see how other hunters do things, this is a hunting/outdoor site right?? I think my point was clear but if not here it is.... your first posts on this thread as well as some others came across like the TV personalities had their hunting ethics all wrong, and yours was right, that just isnt so. I have ate moose in the rut for more years than I care to admit and can not tell the difference over early moose, (thats my opinion, dont make yours wrong) but i could say well Stranger doesnt know how to take care of his meat thats why he wont eat late killed moose, and try to make the point that Im right and your way isnt.... kind of like you did with the people on the outdoor channel.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast