Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tug leaves miles-long sheen after grounding

Default Tug leaves miles-long sheen after grounding

http://www.adn.com/news/alaska/story/1068799.html

This is absolutely insane! The only passable excuse this tug can have for running aground is loss of power, and additionally not having the ability to drop anchor.
    I don’t care how bad the weather was out there, how thick the fog is, how saver the sea state was. There is absolutely no excuse for a well equipped vessel of this type running aground on one of the most well charted recognized marine hazards in Prince William Sound….period!!!
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Agree - this is absolutely not acceptable, especially with the technology that we have today.

It will be interesting to see what Captain Crowley has to say about this. Perhaps the crew was discussing company business just like the NW Airlines pilots that over-shot Minneapolis a few months ago.

This is not only sad but simply can't be tolerated any longer. I hope they run every drug test on the crew. I am very interested in seeing what they say caused the accident. Hopefully the damage can be minimized.

2 major spills is enough! Even if it's human error, I think the time has come to raze the reef and remove the temptation!

this is becoming more interesting..... Devastating, yes . but intriging,and interesting from an economic and conspiracy standpoint.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Well, these things do happen. Run boats around reefs enough times, and one (or two) of them are bound to hit it.

Sad to hear this has happened and am interested in the cause. Hope the crew can come up with a good explanation. Accidents do happen though, as sad as it sounds.

Realistically if it hadn't been for the irony of an Oil Spill Response Vessel hitting that Rock....This wouldn't be a blip on a news organizations radar....
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Default Remember Ripple Rock?

The worlds largest none nuceler explosion

Its like Brian said the law of averages sayssomebody is gonna hit it again. Lets make a Ripple of Bleigh Reef.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_Rock
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BvlN80CxXo

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Well, these things do happen. Run boats around reefs enough times, and one (or two) of them are bound to hit it.
    The Exxon Valdez wasn’t the first vessel to meet its end on Bligh Reef. The 1730-ton iron steamer “Olympia” of the Alaska Steamship Line ran hard aground on December 10, 1910 and resisted all efforts to refloat her. The hulk stayed on the reef until 1922, when a storm finally swept the wreck into deep water. For 12 years, the grounded steamer served as a marker of Bligh Reef’s aquatic treachery.

Here's a pic of the "Olympia" hard aground on Bligh Reef, 99 years ago this month!

Thanks for the history lesson. I never knew that.

Hard to understand how this could happen.

Cool history lesson. Thanks

Kind of makes you wonder how Capt. Cook got around it in 1778!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Default bligh reef

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Hard to understand how this could happen.

Cool history lesson. Thanks

Kind of makes you wonder how Capt. Cook got around it in 1778!

Yes, and how all the fur traders from Spain, England, and Russia got around it also.
    NRA Lifetime Member

Default I'm at a loss...

With GPS, Radar and the coast guard watching via electronic measures, how the heck could this happen? Someone has a lot of explaining to do!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

Question Olympia Hmmm!!!!

Thats an interesting idea. That ship stayed on Bligh reef for years. I've seen the Navy sink ships for artificial reefs just for fish habitat. Why not plant (hard attachment) an old ship on top of the reef rig some generators/solar power panels and let the ship act as a lighthouse/hazard marker? Heck with what we spend on clean-up they could rig up something larger and more permamnent. Is that too crazy? Obviously even the tugs still hit it so short of blowing the top off the reef a more permanent marker seems to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by anonymous1 View Post
    The worlds largest none nuceler explosion

Its like Brian said the law of averages sayssomebody is gonna hit it again. Lets make a Ripple of Bleigh Reef.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ripple_Rock
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BvlN80CxXo
    Amazing..had not heard of the Ripple Rock thing before. Sounds like a suitable fate for Bligh reef. Environmentalists probably wouldn't go for it, though. Could give sea kittens a major migrane.

Red face Captain's log

Quote Originally Posted by thewhop2000 View Post
    With GPS, Radar and the coast guard watching via electronic measures, how the heck could this happen?
    I've been thinking the same thing. What, is this reef next to some shortcut that lets them save a gallon or two of fuel?????

From ADN: "When it struck the reef, the Pathfinder was scouting the shipping route from Valdez to Hinchinbrook Entrance"

I can see the Captain's entry in his log: In our scouting, we've FOUND something!

Default speaking as a guy who'se never been aground before!!!

There could be more to the story than meets the eye... I dont think you can legislate away the risks inherent in operating boats on mother natures waterways... Sooner or later, let your guard down just a slight bit, for a split second (impossible to avoid in my opinion considering the "human condition") and mother nature rules with an unforgiving and iron fist.

Angry There Is No Doubt

In my mind, that this is a direct result of negligence. Say what you want about how accidents happen, and nobody's perfect and all that, but when it is examined the only thing you are left with is: In an agile and equipped vessel, they smacked into the most famous shallow water hazards in the world. I think it's negligence to the nth degree. Somebody should do some jail time to reflect, just like the sheen they left.
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Default OPS!!!!

As mentioned earlier, the only good excuse this tugs crew has is total loss of power coupled with the inability to drop anchor; unfortunately this doesn’t appear to be the case.
    From evidence obtained buy divers it appears they were under way when the grounding happed; a 4- to 5-foot section of the keel was missing along with breaches in three fuel tanks.

“We’ve got plenty of water under the keel, steady as she goes……. OPS dang !!!!"

Fetched up again..

Default Better yet... lets just lock everybody out....

Quote Originally Posted by Doug from Anchorage View Post
    In my mind, that this is a direct result of negligence. Say what you want about how accidents happen, and nobody's perfect and all that, but when it is examined the only thing you are left with is: In an agile and equipped vessel, they smacked into the most famous shallow water hazards in the world. I think it's negligence to the nth degree. Somebody should do some jail time to reflect, just like the sheen they left.
    Then we could assure nobody ever makes this kind of evil mistake again... just stop letting anyone to run boats on the water anymore and the problem magically goes away.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast