Thread: H 450 powder

Default H 450 powder

I had been loading Win. 270 with H 450 powder. This seemed to shoot the best for me. Went to gun shop to buy more and was told H 450 had been discontinued. What is a good replacement for H 450 powder? What do most of you shoot in a Win. 270 rifle? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    I had been loading Win. 270 with H 450 powder. This seemed to shoot the best for me. Went to gun shop to buy more and was told H 450 had been discontinued. What is a good replacement for H 450 powder? What do most of you shoot in a Win. 270 rifle? Thanks for any help you can give me.
    I've been loading the 270 for all of my handloading career and have used a lot of different powders for it with success. IME with 130-140 grain bullets I have found H4831, (IMR-H) 4350, & RL 22 to be most practical for my handloads. A couple of years ago I tinkered with IMR 7828 SSC and found a bit more velocity with similar accuracy, but have had some trouble locating sufficient quantities to switch completely. If I had to go to one powder for the 270 it would be RL 22.

Default That duplicates

what I've always used. I have done some loading recently with 7828 too, though I haven't test-fired them yet. But, If I had to pick one powder, it would probably be H4831 for it's consistency and probably 4831sc for use in cold weather. RL-22 has given me good accuracy, but I usually prefer stick powder, especially in cold climates.

I have had great results with IMR-4350 and IMR-7828ssc. With both powders I used 140gr Accubonds.

I have not tried RL-17 with the 270Win yet but it falls between the two powders I have used in the past.

The H-450 that you used is probably more closly matched to the RL-22 as mentioned by 1COR15:19.

Enjoype09

Default H 450 powder

not a heat gun but I use a torpedo heaterdiesel to heat my oven. No it doesnt blow the powder off, no it doesnt leave deposits on the part. Works perfectly. All the powders Ive worked with call for 375-400 deg. Ross

Default Man, what the

h--l are you talking about? This is a ammunition reloading thread!!

Thank you....my thoughts exactly.

I though my adult ADHD had gone into overdrive!

Note that he's from Germany . . . his translator program may not the vocabulary for gun, ammo, and reloading talk.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

He seems to be way out there somewhere. I thought at first that I had missed something.

IMR4350 has been my go to powder for my .270. I also use a CCI Mag primer. Not because i think i need them but thats what shoots the best.

H4831 is the classic and will give higher velocity than the 4350s.

For heavier bullets you are correct 35gibber 4831 is the way to go. I always loaded 130grn bullets and 4350 shot the best groups. i was never concerned with velocity as i was only hunting deer with them. Either powder will work just fine

Thanks guys for the information. I already have IMR 4350 but that did not give me the results that I wanted. I bought a can of H4831SC today that I will try in a few days. This is the first can of the SC powder I have bought do you use the same data from the reloading manuals that you use for regular powder. Example, H4831 and H4831SC are basically the same powder and use the same listing in the manuals. I have not seen a listing for any hodgdon powder with a SC listed in the manuals I have. The SC is for short cut to work in the powder measures better is what I have been told. If this is not right please post back soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Thanks guys for the information. I already have IMR 4350 but that did not give me the results that I wanted. I bought a can of H4831SC today that I will try in a few days. This is the first can of the SC powder I have bought do you use the same data from the reloading manuals that you use for regular powder. Example, H4831 and H4831SC are basically the same powder and use the same listing in the manuals. I have not seen a listing for any hodgdon powder with a SC listed in the manuals I have. The SC is for short cut to work in the powder measures better is what I have been told. If this is not right please post back soon.
    H4831SC is suppose to flow more consistently from powder measures and is also an Extreme powder that is less affected by temperature variations. Its grain size also allows more weight per volume in cases so there can be some performance difference as well. Hodgdon suggests that the load data can be used interchangeably and that you should expect no more difference between H4831SC and H4831 than you would between various lots of either powder respectively. Personally, I have not found SC to duplicate the older powder in my loading and prefer the "original" with the cartridges I load with H4831. However in the 270 WCF you should be at least as well off with SC and perhaps, due to limited capacity, you will find a tad more velocity at reasonable pressures.