Thread: Anyone get the new win model70 stainless

Default Anyone get the new win model70 stainless

just wondering if anyone has the new model 70 in stainless. i am thinking of getting one in 30-06. i have a 338 bar already and need-want a new rifle and thought that would be a great companion to my 338. what ive read the new rifle sounds great, just wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of checking one out, or better, getting to shoot one!

I have been disappointed in the quality of all the current M-70 that I have seen. I suggest you look it over carefully, or better yet, maybe shop the gun shows for one made in New haven, CT.

QUOTE=kobuk;638032]just wondering if anyone has the new model 70 in stainless. i am thinking of getting one in 30-06. i have a 338 bar already and need-want a new rifle and thought that would be a great companion to my 338. what ive read the new rifle sounds great, just wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of checking one out, or better, getting to shoot one![/QUOTE]

It's a funny thing, but when I buy a hunting rifle, I want one that I can take to places that have all kinds of weather. I just hate to be limited to not being able to hunt in conditions like freezing rain. Box triggers are the biggest offenders I know of for not working in freezing rain. They get soaked and the hunt is over. The best trigger I have ever found was the old style trigger on the model 70, why did they screw that up?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I got a new Model 70 FN extreme weather 30-06. Better rifle than the classic models and I like the trigger better, too. It needed no adjustments whatsoever.

Default I'd go with the Featherweight.

Dear Kobuk.
    I hope its nice up there. I was in Ambler for several years and the hunting and people are nice there.
    I have looked at the Extremes and I think that the Featherweights are just a bit nicer. I have attached a jpeg of the Featherweight FN that I bought. I am looking for a M8 6X leupold to go with it.

Sincerely,
    Thomas
    Attached Images Attached Images

A nice looking rifle indeed. Where did you pick that up at? I see it's the 2008 limited edition model as well. I noticed the Featherweight models chambered for the 'standard' cartridges balance better than those chambered for the wsm rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    QUOTE=kobuk;638032]just wondering if anyone has the new model 70 in stainless. i am thinking of getting one in 30-06. i have a 338 bar already and need-want a new rifle and thought that would be a great companion to my 338. what ive read the new rifle sounds great, just wondering if anyone has had the pleasure of checking one out, or better, getting to shoot one!

It's a funny thing, but when I buy a hunting rifle, I want one that I can take to places that have all kinds of weather. I just hate to be limited to not being able to hunt in conditions like freezing rain. Box triggers are the biggest offenders I know of for not working in freezing rain. They get soaked and the hunt is over. The best trigger I have ever found was the old style trigger on the model 70, why did they screw that up?[/QUOTE]

I agree. For a target rig a 700's trigger might be better, but for a rough and tough hunter M70's "old style" trigger reigns supreme. No FN's for me because of that fact alone.

Default I dont have one

While I dont own one I know that if I were to drop the coin on a new factory hunting rifle, it would be one of the new Winchesters. We have sold a pretty good pile of them at the shop recently, and every person I have talked to after the fact says they are the most accurate rifle they have owned in that price class. I think they have fixed alot of the problems that the Classic line had, IE rough machine marks, terrible triggers out of the box on the last ones, and the cheeeeep POS synthetic stocks the used to come with.

As for the trigger issue, I prefer the new one, I have carried Remingtons in all conditions for a long time and have never had a problem. I have also seen a truckload of old style Winchester triggers that were unsafe, more in fact than Remingtons. I think when everything is out in the open like that every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks he is a gunsmith and then we get slam fires and bump offs.

Default Frontier Outfitters.

They have the only teacher payment plan in Alaska. 6month Layaway program.
    They charge a bit more but are great folks and it was one of those guns you just have to have.

It is my first 30/06. I bought another one today.
    Husquvarna Hi-power Model 640 with weaver K4. FN Large Ring Action and no cracks in the stock. They have a real nice fit to them.

I hunt the second worst crap(Aleutian are 1) god ever made and have never had a problem with wood. This is Late part of sheep season in Chugach High Country.

Sincerely,
    Thomas

I have over 30 model 70s in my collection of all types. The new FN rifles are the best shooting of the lot. I would buy another with out hesitation. The triggers are great out of the box. Quality, fit and finish is much better than the later new haven production.