Thread: Moving to Fairbanks in June

Question Moving to Fairbanks in June

It's official my wife and I will be moving to Fairbanks in June. We will be looking for somewhere to rent and she will be attending UAF. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

oboy!!! there goes teh neighborhood!

craigslist Fairbanks has a regular posting of local rentals. not sure what your requirments are but i do know several landlords with cabins for rent
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

recommendations for what? Renting or classes at UAF? Fishing or moose hunting spots? Good bars? Best coffee shops?

If she is a full time student there is nothing wrong with the on campus housing for couples. It can be hard to get into if not a grad student, but there were non grads in some of the appartments near the cop shop back in the day. Since my time there they have improved things so call the campus housing folks and check it out.

For off campus there are a lot of options. Stick near campus along Geist, University, or College for easy walking in the winter. There are many duplexes and older homes with converted basements in these neighborhoods. Many have been used for off campus housing for decades. A lot of them have history and are cycled through the same group type fore many years. There are larger apartment complexes further away from campus and on bus lines as well.

If you want the real Alaskan Experience then rent a dry cabin along Gold Hill road. Nothing like hauling water or taking an outhouse dump at 40 below to let you know you are really in Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Ray View Post
    recommendations for what? Renting or classes at UAF? Fishing or moose hunting spots? Good bars? Best coffee shops?

If she is a full time student there is nothing wrong with the on campus housing for couples. It can be hard to get into if not a grad student, but there were non grads in some of the appartments near the cop shop back in the day. Since my time there they have improved things so call the campus housing folks and check it out.

For off campus there are a lot of options. Stick near campus along Geist, University, or College for easy walking in the winter. There are many duplexes and older homes with converted basements in these neighborhoods. Many have been used for off campus housing for decades. A lot of them have history and are cycled through the same group type fore many years. There are larger apartment complexes further away from campus and on bus lines as well.

If you want the real Alaskan Experience then rent a dry cabin along Gold Hill road. Nothing like hauling water or taking an outhouse dump at 40 below to let you know you are really in Alaska.
    She's a grad student but we want to live off of campus. Any recommendations for rental places or anything else up there is greatly valued. Thanks!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by THE_HUNTERIAM View Post
    She's a grad student but we want to live off of campus. Any recommendations for rental places or anything else up there is greatly valued. Thanks!

well there are lots of Dry Cabins as ak ray stated that run ~ 400 a month.. Dry meaning no water and an out house what are your wife requirements? we'll start there first... most of these cabins are one room with perhaps a loft or 1/2 loft and a ladder i used to do maint on about 56 of them in that goldstream area....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here