Thread: -=[color posterization]=-

Living @ the Top of the World in Barrow Alaska

Default -=[color posterization]=-

Spectacular colors can make an ordinary photograph into a "Leroy Neiman" type painting !! He was one of the 10 best artists in the world decades ago. During his fall from his elite status - he was commisioned to make his famous paintings of the 76 Olympics.

Color Posterizations are fun and easy to create - We printed up dozens of post cards and a set of 17 x 25's , they were all sold within hours.

After you create the colors (using curves) then INVERT them and then use the HUE / SATURATION sliders to watch the different color combinations that are possible. Then turn down saturation and bring it in slowly to the desired effect.

Default Here is the simple secret !!

ALL self explanitory. I have been trying for years to figure out how to do this in photoshop!! I accidently stumbled onto this procedure.

Use the pencil and just draw short lines - long lines - curved lines for adding extra colors !!

Play & have phun !!

People here in Barrow went nuts when we showed these around the village. Whoosh they were all gone instantly !!

My biggest problem was trying to figure out how to keep the snow and parky's white. This is accomplished by making the left side points in the curve window LOW(er).

People had to stop & look twice at the posterizations, Is that the northern lights somem people asked . NOPE - but we shure fooled a lot of people !! (not from Alaska ) !!

The first image of course is the actual photograph.

The possibilities are endless. Posterizations look best using 'bright bold' poster type colors (hence its name) dull muted colors make for a very drab looking image that has no impact.

My 600th post !! ta da !!

This is Ridgeway Lane in Boston Massachusetts !! My home town - I lived on this alley way in the mid 1950's when I was in the second grade.

This is on world famous 'Beacon Hill'.

During the summer of that year, I was sitting down at the end of the street and my father asked me if I wanted to go live with him, my nightmare was over (sigh) .. Gone from this alley way were the memories of living here, until I captured this image from the other end, in 1973.

the very first image I had published; was of this alley way in Camera 35 magazine in 1974.

Believe it or not - there is a place just outside of Point Hope that is named in the village and on certain maps BEACON HILL it is the tallest piece of land in the immediate area, but over the years it has been sinking and melting as much of the permafrost has all around TIKIGAQ.

This is the type of 'bokeh' I like to rave about - !! EVERYTHING - is in focus !! just like in real life !!