Thread: One for the girl

Default One for the girl

Well I found a rifle for my young cousin this past week, and I just hope she likes it as much as I do. A friend saw my ad on here and offered me a great deal on a mint Marlin...EERR UMM.. Glenfield (you know Marlin with ElCheepo stocks and fancy deers pressed into the grip) Model 30A. I snatched it up thinking it will be perfect and won't matter too much if she scuffs the stocks.

A quick phone call to my Dad let gave me an idea of what length of pull she would need, as I had no idea how much she had grown in the past year since I had seen her. I then fitted a Pacmyar Decel pad and proceeded to the metalwork. I bobbed the barrel at 16.5 inches, recrowned and ported it. I then did away with the barrel band for the mag tube and machined a dovetail in the appropriate place for a 2/3 magazine like a Guide Gun. After cutting the mag tube to length and all the rigamorow that goes along with the hanger and plug, I did a nice tune job so it feeds well and the action is very smooth.

I put a red fiberoptic front sight in conjunction with the standard Marlin buckhorn factory rear. Then topped the whole thing off by mounting a Weaver K3 on it, a scope that was given to me by her father some years back.

I cant wait to get back home to give it to her as a late Christmas present. I just hope that she is as happy with it as Vince's girls were with their new rifles.

Thanks to everyone who came through with an offer, and Merry Christmas.

Default Oh Yeah

I almost forgot to mention that the little rifle is chambered for the 30-30 Win.

Sounds great. She should absolutely love it. We all need a cousin like you.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i have no doubt! she will adore it...mine love hunting shooting and all....

they love helping me poor powder and seat bullets

and they simpley get a huge moment of glee out shooting dad

haul her on up when the warm returns and well get the girls shooting together
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Sounds awesome! but where is the picture of it????

Smile

Nice snag and it sounds like you did a good work over on it.

I agree with Matt where are the pics?
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Default About the pics

I was planning on posting a couple last night, when to my horror, I discovered that my puppy had destroyed my brand new Fujifilm. I was not a happy camper, and I guess I know where that Freddies gift card is gonna go.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I was planning on posting a couple last night, when to my horror, I discovered that my puppy had destroyed my brand new Fujifilm. I was not a happy camper, and I guess I know where that Freddies gift card is gonna go.
    You have to love puppies and full grown dogs that never seem to outgrow those tendencies.

Merry Christmas Kid!

I applaud any effort to reach out to the other half and get them into the sport. But 16.5" on a 30-30? If anything the increased muzzle blast may very well be problematic for her.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...