Thread: Lynx lure

Default Lynx lure

I finally got a chance to get my marten line out today, and much to my suprise, lynx tracks. I've trapped there for 5 years and never saw any lynx sign before, so can someone recommend a good lure for lynx. My plan was to use a beaver castor and beaver oil sack concoction that seems to attract everything else. I'm open to a better idea.

Thanks
    Mike

Default Northwest trappers

Alaska Lynx cat and they seem to be fond of Magnum martin this year. As you may already know Lynx hunt depending on site more than smell but it dosnt hurt to have a little stink at the cubby. Hillbilly

Thanks Hillbilly, I'm packing magnum marten for my marten sets, so I'll throw a little on the set, I may hang a grouse wing as a visual attractor as well. Thanks again.

pacific call

Anice mixed with beaver castor

Default Meat & potato's trapper

In Washington I trapped what was called a lynxcat. They said it was a mix of bobcat and lynx, who knows? I was not to successful until an oldtimer gave me some advice. Cats sense of smell is as good as thier eye sight and they are looking for food, give them what they want. Every cubby he set had a complete skinned beaver, gut opened and castor opened. His flagging was a wing and a strip of tin foil. Next thing you know I was catching cats!

Default Bobcats

You trapped Bobcats. Western bobcats are marketed under the name lynxcats. But they are just Bobcats, no lynx mixed in.

Wink Cats

I don't know who has been with who, but western bobcats are not all lumped together. In Washington the cats west of the Cascades were called bobcats, and those east of the Cascades were called lynx cats. They looked much different in the fur department. The westsiders were darker on the backs, greyer on the sides and little in the way of spots on the darker belly. The eastern side cats were lighter, sometimes orange in color with white bellies and well defined black spots They also seemed to have larger feet, longer ear hair and were a larger cat in general (traits of the lynx). I have no idea if this is genetic or enviromental but it's plain as day to tell the difference. I do know one thing, If the fur buyer called your cat "BOB" you just lost $75 to $150 dollars!

Default Went for an education!

Bobcats evolved from lynx, Western Washington bobcats are a subspieces of the bobcat family, and lynx do breed with bobcats when mates are in short supply which is the case in Washington. Lynx lived in small numbers in the North Cascades of Washington and are now listed as threatened?
    We were allowed 2 a season back in the 80s I believe. How much impact cross breeding in all populations and sudspeices is unknown.

Default not totally correct

Bobcats and lynx both evolved from Eurasian lynx. Bobcats first, Lynx later. SO bobcats did not evolve from the Canadian Lynx that we trap here in Alaska. But rather they both evolved at different times from the Eurasian lynx.

When I speak of western cats being marketed as lynxcats, I speak of the areas that have the GREAT cats, western MT, Idaho, eastern WA, Oregon, Nevada, Wyoming, all the way down to parts of new mexico.

They are by far superior to bobcats from other areas, no argument there.

Default lynx lure

curiosity killed the cat, I use a combo of smells to keep them interested. Flagging, cat gland, piece of fish and a lure too. I make my own cat lure but commercial lures work well too, Carmans is good and Grawes K-7 works real good too.