Thread: What knot for 150lb mono??

Default What knot for 150lb mono??

Guys i need to tie some rigs with 150lb mono to some 14/0 circle hooks. What knot would you use? I will not crimp them. i just cant stand crimps as i have had a few failures. Thanks for your help guys!

I use the palomar knot with my 200 lb leaders without issues.

http://www.animatedknots.com/palomar/index.php
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post

Cool website, thanks Spoiled one

That is a handy website.

Seems like you can't really go wrong with Palomar knots...

The only knot i use is the Polamar. I thought the line would be too thick to cinch it down but if you are using 200lb line that is the first knot i will try! Thanks for the help!

Default Crimp

1.8mm crimp - can't miss. Much better to threading on a bait.

The correct crimps and a quality crimp tool for lines that heavy.....I rig a lot of marlin and tuna lures for friends and have no failures. Experiment and test a few connections...

I can send you an example of how to crimp a hook if you wish.....do you want your hook free swinging or fixed?.....live bait or dead bait?

Default Crimping how to..

Unlike what I have seen sold in stores in Alaska, you do not want to take a crimp and squeeze it in a vice until it is flat. That is the worst way to terminate a crimp. You really need a crimper with three round crimp settings and you need to follow the directions on the link below or you will damage the mono inside the crimp and it will fail. The good news is with #150 pound mono you can afford to weaken the line by makeing a less than perfect crimp and you will likely be okay halibut fishing. Halibut just don't pull that hard and most of the tackle we use is incapable of putting the kind of pressure on our tackle that will cause even a half way decent looking crimp to pull out.

http://www.leadertec.com/tipsandtech...echniques.html

Happy holidays

Default knot for 150 pound test

polomar is best, but sometime i like for my hook to be able to swing a little so i use a snell know and not schintch it down on the hook, i put a nail or pencil to tighten down on the snell know, just have to retie it when you catch a fish but sometime they like the bait to have movement

Default To cinch heavy mono...

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post

Ditto on the palomar for the heavy mono and it's the only knot I can get to hold well on superbraid of any diameter.To get the heavy mono to cinch down easily, just apply a little slobber and pull!

Great links on both the knot & crimp tutorials! Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but how do you keep the Palomar from "pig tailing" at the eye of the hook when you're done? I can't get the hook to lay flat or in line without skewing a little sideways when the knot is cinched tight.

After years and many crimped hooks/lures, I discovered I was improperly crimping my crimps! Thanks Pete & Capt!
    Jim

Not sure what you mean by pig tailing. I suspect this might be a warm water phenomena. you might have to show me on Saturday.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I hadn't seen that crimping tutorial before but it is right on......I have my best performance from the double barrel sleeves also.....