Thread: Ice fishing on Crutches

Default Ice fishing on Crutches

I am an absolute die hard ice fisher. I have been doing it since I was 4 years old. I am back in alaska after having surgery on Monday and am wanting to get out and do some ice fishing. Now, my dad and I were trying to think of lakes that we could drive out on to and just get out ice fishing. Big lake seems to be the only option so far. We do not have machines at the moment and I probably could not ride right now anyways. We just have a 4WD Bronco and thats it. Any help would be appreciated!

And to anyone I left wondering. I hurt my leg in my first match of this college wrestling season. Had a complete ACL replacement.... Recovery is expected to be roughly 6 - 8 months.... No telling how long ill be on crutches just yet. There is always next season!

Sounds like you should give ice fishing ,you know slippery ice ,,,maybe a break for a while.,,lol,,,or just be real frikkin careful. Should be able to drive out on Big Lake now.

Default If you can drive out on a lake...

... I've seen plenty of people fish out of their truck windows. Or if you get out there, maybe you could fish out an old wheel chair. Just get your dad to shovel you a path and there you go.

I guess that could work. Ive just always pulled a sled with all my gear out on the ice and fished unpopulated lakes. I might have to give big lake a try... I have ice picks on my crutches and boots with studs in them so ide be all set. Plus we have a shack and plenty of chairs to sit in. Thanks for the tips there everyone!

Oh and dan ive givin ice fishing a good long break aleady! I feel good enough to go ice fishing for sure.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

sounds like time for a new SLED... i spent 7 years on crutches in cast and braces..... bought a super jag, 153" and carried my crutches on it.. went fishing in plastic bags.... its funny how often the guy on crutches gets invited when the bears start coming out i used the cane style with the bands around my fore arm and ice cleats.... you can do it if you want the best part was that i could stand for long periods by hooking my leg over the handle of the crutch.....learned to run on one leg too
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Finger Lake usually is driveable. I haven't been on it since the last heavy snow, but thats definitely a good possibility. Memory Lake isn't one you can drive onto, but you can fish right next to the boat ramp, about 50 yards off shore, for a total walk of about 100 yards. Florence Lake in Willow is another with really close access to the road, but it does have a very steep, though short, hill to descend and ascend. Its only about 20 feet- I'd be willing to crawl or butt scootch up it if I had to. Also Loberg Lake right across from the Valley Hospital, Kepler/Bradley, Canoe, and Irene Lakes, then Long Lake up the Glenn Highway- Long you can sometimes drive onto, but if not, Weiner just up the road has a short walk from its access points. Sitting down in a pull sled and pushing along with your arms is a way to go good distances on flat ground, too, without stressing your leg. A couple short 1x2 stakes make good pushers Used to do it all the time as a kid, just for fun.

We were out at Finger on Monday and if you have 4WD you can do it. With the wind the last couple of days that should help too.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Default lakes to fish

Long lake on the glen HW. if other cars are there you should be safe look befor you drive check the ice for thickness

Quote Originally Posted by vince View Post
    sounds like time for a new sled... I spent 7 years on crutches in cast and braces..... Bought a super jag, 153" and carried my crutches on it.. Went fishing in plastic bags.... Its funny how often the guy on crutches gets invited when the bears start coming out I used the cane style with the bands around my fore arm and ice cleats.... You can do it if you want the best part was that i could stand for long periods by hooking my leg over the handle of the crutch.....learned to run on one leg too:d
    now that is dedication!!! Rock on