Thread: Actual able to hunt

Default Actual able to hunt

I've noticed that there are at least a couple of teachers on this forum, so the question I have is how likely is it that you get time to hunt? Where I live now I am able to get out at least one day a week to chase critters. I needed to turn down two positions last year do to family problems but I am hopeing that I am able to find a position on the road this year. Thanks

we've got some great hunting seasons during the summer months here as well, grizzly and black bear are both open in july, and some moose hunt are open in early august. not sure when you start work but those are a start. some good spring bear hunting can be had late june as well.

Default Quite a bit

Like the other poster said, black/brown bear is open; sheep and caribou begin August 10 and moose starts Sept 1 where I go. So yea, there's opportunity to hunt a lot I'd say. We get out of school May 25 and go back Aug 16 I believe. I take the thrid week of school off to hunt moose (and loose two day's pay) and I plan to take off another entire week without pay in October to deer hunt. It is expensive to take time off without pay, but its worth it to me. There is some accessible Anchorage-area weekend hunting opportunities nearby too.

Tim

Default Lwop!

I have been a teacher up here for 9 years. I try to do a "once in a lifetime" hunt every year. Taking leave without pay is not a problem as long as you are doing your job and have your principal's support. With the old school calendar, teachers could hunt the first two weeks of sheep season. Now teachers report back in mid August, so LWOP it is. I work hard in my classroom, but when I am not working I am playing. I also run a small business. This allows me to teach.

Default Lwop

I have gone this route the last two years as well, some personal days and the rest LWOP. I am working on getting a week off in the fall at my school for "cultural and subsistance gathering activities" I am working on getting it for the middle of Sept. That would be AWESOME if I can make that work instead of a spring break. SO far I have the community support so it looks like it will happen.

Default days off

Same as the rest. I hunt like hell in Aug. for sheep. Do weekend hunts for moose, or take the week of with LWOP. Do weekend goat, bear, caribou hunts. Trapping almost every weekend. Just got back from a couple of days on the line. Got some good sets out for wolf.

Deer season opens August 1. The big bucks are up in the high country, and it combines the best elements of sheep hunting and goat hunting. Best hunt of the year in my book.

Default Admiration

I relly admire you men and women who are teachers and who hunt regulary ..I had a real fun day hunt with a teacher here and an exchange student he brought.. We got him dressed well and it was a great day ,, even killed some deer... I,m not a teacher but in the past have got caught up in the Rat Race...Have worked on changeing that......I know some retired teachers who kind of have the life of Riley and all they do is hunt and fish......

Default Admiration

I relly admire you men and women who are teachers and who hunt regulary ..I had a real fun day hunt with a teacher here and an exchange student he brought.. We got him dressed well and it was a great day ,, even killed some deer... I,m not a teacher but in the past have got caught up in the Rat Race...Have worked on changeing that......I know some retired teachers who kind of have the life of Riley and all they do is hunt and fish......

Default bear and caribou

I do most of my serious hunting during the late spring and summer. Start with bear baiting around spring break and catch the last month or so of grizzly season. Throughout the summer I hunt black bears......especially when the blueberries get ripe. Right before school starts I can usually work in a week or so of caribou hunting. For moose, I generally do day/weekend trips just because I am close to some very good moose hunting.
    When I first started teaching, other teachers told me my hunting days were over, but you can definitely make it work if you want to.