Thread: Musk Ox Rugs

Default Musk Ox Rugs

How are they about to do with hoves on???? Also, anybody from Nome that wants to take a new friend out on a snowmachine?

Me and the family use 'em as rugs and beds in our tents.

I cut off the hooves, though.......

Reminds me.....the wife is talking "New Years Cow" and just how fat they are, now that were on our last Caribou.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Nice. I'm going to get the head mounted and such on my rug if i get one this year. I hear they're a little harder to find this year by Nome, but am really looking forward to getting up there around the 10th of Janurary.

Are there a lot of caribou up there?

Assuming you are getting a commercial tanning job, ox are the most expensive hide (per sq ft) that you can get done. Also, feet on will cost you more.

Default Read the regs

The muskox harvested near Nome must have the horns clipped at eye level. F&G keeps the tips. It will be a strange looking mount.

Default ...

Be a neat thing if you can get it done. Have seen a goat done this way...wasn't quite sure what to think of it, other than it was definately different.

Be interesting to see how this year's hunt goes. Not much snow on the ground this year, so the going will be rough. Also, with the increased trophy destruction, be intersting to see how it plays out.

All that being said, gonna get another this year.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Plenty of places that offer reproduction horns for Ox. The trophy destruction only serves to satisfy the F&G folks. Doesn't stop anyone who wants a mount.
    Enjoy the hunt.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Plenty of places that offer reproduction horns for Ox.
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I've seen a few of them, and I've yet to be impreseed with ANY of the quality of the reproductions (from tip reproductions to full horn sets).

And seriously, you'd have a fake set of horns on your wall?? Just buy a fake mount, same thing IMO.

36 degrees currently, and the snow (what we have of it) is going quickly.... Going to be interesting how this Jan.1 opener goes.

Default ...

How was the opener??

Default ...

Horrible conditions. No snow, crappy traveling. Anything that WAS "close" to town has been harvested.

Can one not make a casting of the horns before they are clipped ? I would think that would work well...
    PC gag in place.

I would think you could lube up the horns with vaseline or car wax, and dip them in a container of plaster of paris for the mold. They make a 2 part latex mold compound in taxidermy supply stors just for this. That might be better since the mold will be flexible and can be cut from the original horn easier..
    PC gag in place.

Default Must be good

Seaosn must be doing good up their.. SO far I have taken in 3 musk ox from Kotz.. @ want back hides tanned and one lifesized.. got anothe rone yeaterday from Nome who wants a lifesize also.. Yesterday I bought a LS hide who took it i nNome also.. so that 5 ox in 4 days I think.. I am about tired of fleshing ox.. 1 more to go though tonight.