Thread: Need Help on where to start July trip

Thumbs up Need Help on where to start July trip

Hi friends

I will be making my third trip to your great state in the last 10 yrs but DATE wise i do not know were the best place to start is.My wife and 13yr and myself will be arriving on the 7th of july.We will be staying with a friend for a few day's that lives a few miles out of Willow.We will go to Seward for a few days and also fish on the Kenia.I guess my question is- Which way frist ??? We will be leaving on the 17th and i will not try to fish my wife and child OUT but I think we will fish 5 to 9 days of the trip.We will take a guided trip maybe two 1 halbut 1 salmon .I understand you can do a 1 day drop off trip close to willow.What would be the best time early july or a week or so later or would it matter on those dates ?
    Are we in the middle of the run on the kenia alittle late and a little early for the 2nd.? Thanks alot for any help.I thought it would get easyer after 2 trips,but trying to work around dates and runs it has not.

Quote Originally Posted by david4615 View Post
    Hi friends

I will be making my third trip to your great state in the last 10 yrs but DATE wise i do not know were the best place to start is.My wife and 13yr and myself will be arriving on the 7th of july.We will be staying with a friend for a few day's that lives a few miles out of Willow.We will go to Seward for a few days and also fish on the Kenia.I guess my question is- Which way frist ??? We will be leaving on the 17th and i will not try to fish my wife and child OUT but I think we will fish 5 to 9 days of the trip.We will take a guided trip maybe two 1 halbut 1 salmon .I understand you can do a 1 day drop off trip close to willow.What would be the best time early july or a week or so later or would it matter on those dates ?
    Are we in the middle of the run on the kenia alittle late and a little early for the 2nd.? Thanks alot for any help.I thought it would get easyer after 2 trips,but trying to work around dates and runs it has not.

I'd say it doesn't matter since you can't predict that accurately bcz of variation in fish runs, snowmelt, weather, etc.

Thumbs up

Are you fishing for Reds or Kings on the Kenai? Kings open for bait on July 1st and is good till it closes on the 31st. If your fishing for Reds take a look at:
    www.wildroselodge.com/Peakfishruns.html and check the run timing where you are fishing (Russian or lower river).
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default July visit

Dear Family Guy,

A friend of mine is a licensed guide who take people out in the Valley and on the Kenai. He may be able to give you some better direction in that he is a professional who makes his living off this type of thing.

Jerry, Alaska Trout on the Fly, 907-748-6570.

Good Luck.

Default July trip

I forgot to write my two cents. I would just stay in the valley when I could (by regulations) and then go to the other places when I couldn't fish the valley. I like the smaller streams with Kings though. Also, good trout fishing. More fun probably for wife and 13 year old on the smaller stream.

The lower Kenai has more bigger fish, but the boats, crowds, noise, etc are nothing for me compared to wading smaller streams. It depends what you want.

Halibut, great time, any time.

Default matsu Kings ?

fished the Matsu valley for silvers this year and had a great time at Montana and clear creek. Can you do the same for kings ? ( ie bank fishing at the stream mouths ?) and how are the crowds during king season ?

You can do the same for Kings on many of the Parks Highway streams with good success if you are doing it right. If Kings are what you are after on those streams the last 2 weeks of June is the best time. By July 7 it will be closed. As far as crowds, well its combat fishing but it can still be fun.

Kings will be in up in the interior around that time. Chena and Salcha are good places to go in July.

I'd go later in July I love the last week of July, just love it.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default here is my take.

It appears to me that you have limited time and therefore do not want to spend it traveling. So arriving on 7 July and telling us you are headed for Seward or Homer for a charter trip I would stay on the Kenai Peninsula.

Here are some options - 1)early Russian River sockeye salmon should be available. 2) silver, halibut, and rockfish out of Seward, Alaska 3) halibut out of Homer 3) drift boat guide trip on the upper Kenai for dolly varden and rainbow trout - early run sockeye may also be available. 4) toward the end of your stay late run sockeye in the lower Kenai River along with late run chinook salmon (guided trip for chinook) 5) charter for chinook salmon in salt water out of Anchor Point or Ninilchik 6) Kasilof River chinook salmon drift boat trip-

Any of the above can provide a great experience. In addition, the new Kenai Peninsula Wildlife Viewing guide will be out in late March. Pick up a copy and stop at the 62 sites to see Dall Sheep, Mt. Goats, moose, coho, sockeye, and chinook salmon spawning: all types of birds: and maybe a bear if you are really lucky.

You cannot beat the Kenai in July except for the crowds in some spots. However, if you do it right you can even avoid the large crowds.

As far as the Susitna Drainage you are coming at a slow time. Usually the coho, sockeye, pink, and chum salmon do not move toward that drainage until after mid July. So you are better off on the Kenai

Good luck.

Thanks for all the replys. It is a very hard decision to make where to start. Around willow is there a good place to fish on your own.? If so where and how do you get there.I know for a few day's i will be there at a friends house [ 7 mile from willow on fish hook road ] thanks again

David