Thread: Need to find a dinette builder

Default Need to find a dinette builder

Awww cr@p, I was proud as I could be about the new boat, its exactly what I want; 96 inch bottom, head, cuddy, opposing seats that fold down into a sleeper so two couples could cruise for a couple of days.

Then I showed my wife the pictures of the inside and she asked "What if I have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night? Do you want me to have to climb over the other people?"

Awww, boogers; I had to say, "sorry honey, didnt think of that"

So now I need to redo the interior layout of the boat, its too late to change it at the factory.

I'll guess I'll need a dinette that converts to a bed, which means the front passenger seat will need to be converted to a switchback seat. While I'm at it I'll put a proper helm captains chair (which I was going to do anyway)

I can't find anything like that online, and shipping would kill me anyway - is there anybody around here that does that kind of work?

Thanks

Default check your PMs

Sent you a PM.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

We rented a 26 ft hewes craft once, same layout as yours, but no cuddy and had to eat on our cooler, between seats. Surprised for that much money they don't include a table, that could be stashed behind the bench seats.

You can't see it, but its got a table that mounts to the floor, its stashed behind the port seat.

Quote Originally Posted by Maast View Post
    I had to say, "sorry honey, didnt think of that"

Man, you're wife got the catch of the century with you. My response would have had us in couples tharapy.

I do suggest that as you price out the options, you keep your wife involved. When she sees the price and what will be involved in the changes, she may decide it is more prudent to go to the bathroom before going to bed at night.

My last boat had your current layout, and there are several advantages to the way you have it. Not only can you sleep in the vberth and on the rear seats folded down, but another person can sleep comfortably in the isleway under the foldout on a air matress. The other thing you will face with a dinette is that you will end up with less seating for people when running.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with the project!
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

maybe you should ask yourself "how often will the bench seats be used for others to sleep on"....if it's just you & the wife most of the times it may not be cost econimical to do the conversion.

I've also thought of rigging a removable bunk-bed type cot above the seats, depending on the costs involved that might be the best option.

I really dont want to give up seating for six people

I found a swing up table mount that I'm going to mount in the side seat boxes, that way if I want a table I can just swing it up without having to mess around with pulling the floor mount table from behind the seats and plugging it into the floor. Its kind of cool.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tell her to keep quiet and pee before she goes to bed.

Maast, where did you find that swing up table mount?

Yes...where can I get one!!!

1250 miles S/O paradise in the lwr 48 dreaming of SE AK

My new Wooldridge has a dinette that will seat 4 and a bench seat behind the captain so it will seat a total of 7. They offset the cabin door to the starboard side to allow the dinette to be wider.

With the layout you have I would look into a camper encloser for the cockpit and put your guest out there on cots or an air matress. They will be more comfortable and it will be cheaper plus you will gain some privacy for both couples. Even just a mooring cover that attaches to the cabin roof and the transom would give you a cover you could put your guests under.

It apears your cabin door is in the center of the cabin if your beam is not wider than 8"6" your dinette will be way to narrow for two people to sleep on when converted to a bed. My new boat will have a 36" wide dinette and that is too narrow for two to sleep comfortably. I plan to put guests out in the fishing cockpit under a tapered moring cover.

Mike my .02

Gundog makes me think of another, cost effective solution to consider. Depending on how big te cockpit is on your boat, you can just put a tent out there and use an air matress to seep 2 out there. I did this last summer, and except for a lack of heat, it was fine. I slept 9 on my boat last year. Two kids and two adults in the Vberth, two kids on the dinette, one on the floor on an air matress, and two in a tent on the back deck. The way we envite friends along, I shou just get one of those cruise ships.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Default Side Wall Hide-a-Way t pedestal

Hi Muskie,
    Not sure if you got a reply back on your question? If not,, try the attached link.. it's the site of Llebroc industries.
    http://pilotchair.com/cat-new-items.cfm

Mitch

Quote Originally Posted by Muskie View Post
    Maast, where did you find that swing up table mount?

Thanks Kidless

Default Call Ben at Silverstreak

He can make it as long as you have enough room on the port side between the gunwale and the door opening. Or you can make it out of wood and have him make the cushions to fit. I did one and it turned out very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by elim View Post
    Tell her to keep quiet and pee before she goes to bed.
    We had a good laugh on that comment. elim, you must be fairly young.

I really couldnt argue with her about it, she has a bladder the size of a walnut and I darn well know it. Its a long-running joke between us.

If I'd given it a bit of thought about it first I would have realized. All I could do was shrug and say "my bad".

I'm a pretty decent woodworker, I've been tinkering with wood furniture and cabinets and such for 25 years. My only concern is the additonal weight that the wood would add to the boat.

Because the boat is wider than normal the dinette should accomodate two people side-by-side. I'll have a double seat aft and just put a 360 swivel under the passangers chair so there will be dinette seating for three.

I think for sleeping arrangements I'll go with the bunk-bed type mounts for foldable cots above both sets of seats.

Still going to put in those pop-up tables though.

Oh well, I knew I'd be continually tinkering with the boat, I just didnt think it'd start with this big of a project so soon.

Tell her to army crawl under that bed across the cabin At least your potty isn't in the V-birth between the beds like so many other boats. The first time my wife saw that she said...NO WAY.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I would like to see how you do the bunk/cot idea. Do you already have a plan or have seen it somewhere? sounds interesting.
    Merry Christmas

Smile

I read this and thought urine trouble...unless your flush with cash.
    Here is the solution for $22.00 + shipping.

#1: Go to Cabellas...search for "urinal"....you will find "Little John" $12.99......Female adaptor $8.99.
    #2: can't help ya....