Thread: Just Takes Work - 338Win Load

Default Just Takes Work - 338Win Load

It just takes a little work and things come together. I have been working with the 210gr Partition in my Ruger M77 338Win Mag and have finally had hunting accuracy success as well has velocity success using IMR4350. I used a lot of other powders but this is the one I will settle on for my hunting load.

210gr Partition, IMR4350, Rem Brass, Rem 9 1/2M primers, OAL 3.300" 3041fps on the average.

Here is a buck I killed with the partition.

This is where the 210gr Par entered the base of the neck on the left side.

Here is where the 210gr Par exited the right side.

Anyway you want to cut it this is trucking and gives me 4312ft pounds of energy, giving me at 2 1/2 high at 100 yds a 250yd zero, good with center hold out to 370yds, then on top of shoulder good to 460yds

Anyway you want to cut it this is trucking and gives me 4312ft pounds of energy, giving me at 2 1/2 high at 100 yds a 250yd zero, good with center hold out to 370yds, then on top of shoulder good to 460yds

The deer was coming toward me at a 45 degree angle. I aimed at the bases of his neck on his left side just in front of his left shoulder and the 210gr Partition hit where I put the cross hairs at 35yds. It went in the base of the neck going through the inside of the left shoulder not hitting shoulder meat about 3 inches low under the spin destroying the heart and lungs traveling almost two feet and exiting through the ribs on the right side leaving a quarter size hole.

The deer was moving in between a 1/2 and 3/4 run and when the 210gr Partition hit him it was like he hit a brick wall and thrown up off his feet onto his back and then landed on his side, never moved with a pool of blood flowing from under him from the exit wound. Very impressive indeed, it was instant death. There was less blood shot meat than with a 270Win using a 130gr bullet.

Here is the group

Here is the brass demonstrating no pressures above max - 3041fps on average.

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Great

I love it when a plan comes together. BUT you may have been undergunned !! LoL
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

75 Grains........????

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    75 Grains........????
    I am not going to tell because my rifle is handling this load without any problem. Start at 73grs and work up is all I will say.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    I love it when a plan comes together. BUT you may have been undergunned !! LoL
    Yeah, I might have been just a little under gunned
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Anybody that loads for the .30-06, the .375H&H needs to have at least one 8 lbs on hand and lots of other ctgs. It is the primary go to powder.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Good job Beartooth. Nice to see another successful Ruger with meat on the table.
    Last edited by marshall; 12-23-2009 at 13:28. Reason: typo

Yeah, but did it spend all of it's energy in the deer? Ask the deer if it mattered huh?

No such thing as overkill Tooth. Ya done good!

Well done BT! I always love reading the hunting stories and seeing the pics. Your partiton holes look just like my 7mm partiton holes. It's a good bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Yeah, but did it spend all of it's energy in the deer? Ask the deer if it mattered huh?

No such thing as overkill Tooth. Ya done good!
    Amen, NO SUCH THING AS OVER KILL - Thanks elmerkeithclone
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    Well done BT! I always love reading the hunting stories and seeing the pics. Your partiton holes look just like my 7mm partiton holes. It's a good bullet.
    Yeah, those partition holes do look the same across the board. Thanks MontanaRifleman
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default Congrats

On the deer & the loads.

Not much is gonna argue with that bullet at that speed.

Classic Partition presentation and performance that should keep you happy for a while

Quote Originally Posted by rdklinak View Post
    On the deer & the loads.

Not much is gonna argue with that bullet at that speed.

Classic Partition presentation and performance that should keep you happy for a while
    Yes, I believe you are right about classic Partition presentation and performance and I am happy with it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS