Thread: New 300

Default New 300

Hi All,

Wife won a 300 Weatherby Vanguard and I was wondering what everyone thought about it having a little to much kick for me. I shoot a 300 Win and a couple guys I have talked to say they kick a lot more. I know I should just go out and shoot it but like to have some other opinions too. Plus that is what the forum is for right? Merry Christmas!!

Mike

Yeah, it kicks alot. Can't compare it to a 300 Win Mag, haven't shot one. Wby is manageable, just keep good eye relief and don't try to shoot 2 boxes at a sitting. You can send alot of thump out a long way! I have 2 and love them.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

never noticed much diff between the wby and the win... my dad has the wby and i love his rifle, one of the smoothest i have ever fired. my Win mag ruger took some taming but is very manageable on both.. the only real difference i see in the cases is, the wby is sketch longer. they use similar loads and data for a large part of the selections for instance a 180 gn in wby with 76 gns RL22 is running~2900fps where the winmag @76 gns of RL 22 is at ~3000fps with the case nearly full @~98%
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I've shot both recently. The Weatherby was heavier but I didn't notice any difference in felt recoil while shooting 180's in both rifles.

Chrony results showed 45fps difference with the 300WM outrunning the 300 Weatherby with hand loads tailored for best accuracy in each rifle.

Default good rifle

I have one, and 10 + years ago now, It was my first big game rifle, having never shot a rifle before I thought the kick was attrocious, and it is if you are not familar with recoil. So I put on a better pad, and that not being enough I put a muzzle brake on it. Ok, so now it shoots with much less recoil, but the people at the range hate it when I shoot next to them, and I have to hunt with ear plugs in at the moment of truth. Guess I could just remove the brake for those situations, but haven't yet. I also have a 338 Weatherby, no fancy pad, and no brake and I love to shoot it, must be used to the recoil now a decade later. last time I went to the range went thru a box and no sore shoulder.
    The 300 Weatherby is an improvement over the 300 win mag, and to me there was a noticeable difference in how they recoiled. the win mag is slightly less. long story short if you are not used to shooting magnums the 300 will kick like a mule, once you get used to it, no problem, and you will have one of the flatest shooting, best 300's out there, the Weatherby is a very accurate firearm, triggers are nothing to write home about, but you can tinker with them to make them acceptable.

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the info and advice. Going to save up my pennies and get a muzzle break on it someday. For now I am going to stick to my Winmag as my workhorse shooter. It was a free gun so I got time to hook it up nice and right.

hap

The Vanguard stock does you no favors for recoil control... Put a decent stock on it and the recoil will be much more manageable...

I only use wood, but McMIllan makes some stocks that are pretty fair at mitigating recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by mlwent View Post
    Thanks for all the info and advice. Going to save up my pennies and get a muzzle break on it someday. For now I am going to stick to my Winmag as my workhorse shooter. It was a free gun so I got time to hook it up nice and right.

If a guy really is going to PO all the other shooter because of the noise of a brake, get the best their is.http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/Contact.aspx
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default brake

Al,
    Nice looking brake, do you have first hand with this one?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default It's a fine rifle, and a fine cartridge.

If you shoot the 300 WM, OK, you won't have the slightest problem with the 300 Weatherby, and you will have a better designed cartridge, with slightly greater performance than the 300 WM.

Those who say they kick a lot more are talking through their hats, because that just doesn't make sense.

Also, the Weatherby Design, Monte Carlo stock lessens the felt recoil. I see no reason whatever to put on a muzzle brake.

Weatherby Ammo is Spendy, but I've noticed the 300 Weatherby Ammo is often cheaper than for the other Weatherby cartridges, probably due to it's great popularity.

The Vanguards are fine rifles. Compared to other brands in the same price range, it's no contest.

Lucky you, for having a Lucky Wife.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

with smitty on this........30 cal. mags really don't need muzzle brakes, noisy darn things...wish they never were discovered....putting little holes in a good barrel seems like a waste. anyways "us" alaskan sourdoughs are a tough lot.....we shoot em with short an stubby bbls.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    If a guy really is going to PO all the other shooter because of the noise of a brake, get the best their is.http://www.muzzlebrakes.com/Contact.aspx

You know i really LOVE these comments... WHO is a person PO'ing by shooting his own rifle... i have been hunting with many people and not once have had a comment about my brake being loud...

if your at that range and the brake... is bothering you then you do not have adequate hearing protection for your own rifle...

a 300 wm is only so loud... the decibel rate is the same rate on a 180 gn 300 wm with out a port as it it with.. the difference is HOW you are hearing it...

if a guy three benches down is hurting your ears your own high caliber has already done the damage...

I have three rifles with brakes on them and yeah muffs are required. just like they are when i am shooting the ones with out.. i like not having the barrel jump 20 inches on my ruger with it's short comb.... i like the fast follow up, shoots it provides and i enjoy the fact that it reduces the recoil enough that i can hand it to my kiddo in a heart beat with out scaring the crap out of her.

There is a lot of resentment about brakes up here , i almost think it is a fad to not like them but sure see a LOT of guys with them..

BTW magna port has a nice magna brake also... though the porting would be less obtrusive or noticeable if your the type that must go to the range... and dont want to hurt any feelings.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Very poor advice. Just sayin'.

Default I wouldn't personally go with it

after having one and using it, I wouldn't recommend it, they cost 250 bucks, and yes some are removeable, so if you get one like that it could work for you. use it at the range where hearing protection should and will be worn. out in the woods I hate having to have ear plugs. So when hunting I would remove the brake. But really after having shot the rifle for a while, and also having shot a 300 win mag a bit also, there is not enough of a difference to justify a brake. If your good with the win mag then the Weatherby is not going to scare you. good shooting to you.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    You know i really LOVE these comments... WHO is a person PO'ing by shooting his own rifle... i have been hunting with many people and not once have had a comment about my brake being loud...

if your at that range and the brake... is bothering you then you do not have adequate hearing protection for your own rifle...

a 300 wm is only so loud... the decibel rate is the same rate on a 180 gn 300 wm with out a port as it it with.. the difference is HOW you are hearing it...

if a guy three benches down is hurting your ears your own high caliber has already done the damage...

I have three rifles with brakes on them and yeah muffs are required. just like they are when i am shooting the ones with out.. i like not having the barrel jump 20 inches on my ruger with it's short comb.... i like the fast follow up, shoots it provides and i enjoy the fact that it reduces the recoil enough that i can hand it to my kiddo in a heart beat with out scaring the crap out of her.

There is a lot of resentment about brakes up here , i almost think it is a fad to not like them but sure see a LOT of guys with them..

BTW magna port has a nice magna brake also... though the porting would be less obtrusive or noticeable if your the type that must go to the range... and dont want to hurt any feelings.
    Vince:
    I'm not much into "fads". I am, interested in protecting my ears, and I don't want to damage anyone's elseís ears, either.

Brakes must be offensive to most people. Those who own them, often want to poo, poo, noise, that's so loud, and shrill, that it's traumatic. The noise is worse than the recoil. Itís like ďjumpin outta the frying pan into the fireĒ, so to speak.

It scares the crap out of me, just to think of handing a CHILD a rifle with a muzzle brake, and expecting them to shoot it, whether they have ear protection or not. It may not be enough. It may not be on right.

In any case, they can recover from recoil, but not from the kind of ear damage that can be caused by a muzzle brake.

I donít think that kids and muzzle brakes mix, so IMO, the argument of using one for that reason doesnít hold much water.

BUT, Iíll watch for a picture in the F&G Hunting Regs, of you and your daughter, posing with Her Moose. No doubt, youíll both be wearing Ear Protection, and have dazed looks on your faces.

I like to think Iím a reasonable man, but I may have a bad attitude about muzzle brakes. Yeah, I think I do. No offense intended.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I am not a muzzle brake fan, but neither am I offended by them at the range. My hearing protection is suficient for them.

I also agree that 30 cal mags are managable without brakes. I shoot a 300 WSM and a 300 RUM without brakes. I usually use a slip-on recoil pad that works just fine. A couple of weeks ago, I forgot my slip-on pad and shot both rifles just wearing a Carhart coat. No problems. Technique is a big factor - make sure the butt of the rifle is correctly in the pocket of the shoulder and firm.

Congrats on the VanGuard... they are a great rilfe!

Cheers,

Mark