Thread: Three types of hunters/Five stages

Default Three types of hunters/Five stages

Food for thought from 24hourcampfire.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/stages.html

Thumbs down great...

now we can all psychoanalyze ourselves to make sure we fit in

Default pretty neat article

meat hunter in the methood stage for me I'm into the "edge" with the very close of the bow and the very long in the long distance accuracy shots.

thanks for sharing the article.

Greg

Interesting but not in tune with my observations.......must be that "Texas" factor.....
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Who comes up with this crap?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

oh we already did this one last winter

though this is a littel funny still

One outstanding characteristic was their low scores on the knowledge-of-animals scale. Interestingly, only anti-hunters, of all animal activity groups studied, had equally low knowledge scores.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I hope there was a Federal Grant involved in this Yale study. I would sure sleep better at night knowing that my taxes are supporting such valuable information.

Default New Study

What are the stages of develpoment of anti-hunter, PETA, bunnyhuggers? Better get Harvard on this one!

Thanks for the post and link goosepilot. David Petersen discusses Dr. Kellert's study in depth in his book "Heartsblood". I think it's an interesting study and could make for a good discussion if there was a little less negativity around here.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by n0g0d View Post
    Thanks for the post and link goosepilot. David Petersen discusses Dr. Kellert's study in depth in his book "Heartsblood". I think it's an interesting study and could make for a good discussion if there was a little less negativity around here.
    oh i agree and as i mentioned previously, we had this discusion or one similar last winter. infact you can see the three levels right here on the forum daily and in different forums. it can be quite entertaining to pint point some of those ideals me? i am pretty much the grow it and kill it kind of guy
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default I highly recommend Heartsblood by Dave Petersen

http://www.davidpetersenbooks.com/Store.html#C4

Not only does Petersen discuss Kellert's study and implications, but so much more. Great book, one of my favorite tomes on hunting and hunters. It was that book that turned me on to V.K. Arseniev's Dersu the Trapper, another favorite. Also a great b&w movie (Dersu Uzala).

Re the Kellert study, the one criticism I had of it was that Kellert failed to really look into, or take into account, places where subsistence hunting still took place, and explore that subset of hunters.

Would also highly recommend some of the other authors (like Paul Shepard) Petersen mentions in Heartsblood.

Default "5 stages" is copyrighted?

I don't see how they can claim much copyright to something they didn't write. I taught that exact information (in hunter ed classes) ten years ago.

I love to hunt and i love wild game on my table. I love to fish species that taste good. Not into duck hunting any more as to me they are flying liver. Not much interested in fishing for fish that are not much for the table. What does that make me?

Default Decades old concept

I had an old VHS given to me when I took over teaching a hunters ed class in the mid 90's that said exactly what this study says. I'm not sure how old the video was but it had to be cut in the mid 80's. I am impressed with Yale student that unearthed that video and pulled off this "study".

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Jackson View Post
    I had an old VHS given to me when I took over teaching a hunters ed class in the mid 90's that said exactly what this study says. I'm not sure how old the video was but it had to be cut in the mid 80's. I am impressed with Yale student that unearthed that video and pulled off this "study".
    The original Kellert study was done in the mid 70's if I recall. I've heard several people make comments that he should update it as well as the comment that he should make some effort to include true subsistence hunters as well.

Default I have been shooting with guys that want to kill every thing in sight

How do you folks feel about that ?
    I wouldn't go shooting with them any more , to be it is like being with undiciplined teenagers.

Quote Originally Posted by Arleigh View Post
    How do you folks feel about that ?
    I wouldn't go shooting with them any more , to be it is like being with undiciplined teenagers.
    Arleigh, i have a 12 year old step son that is / was the same way when we met, i hope that i have instilled some better morals in him by now... his entire back ground of hunting prior t meeting me 4 years ago was hunting Video games, where he got more points for one shot kills. the first time i took him moose hunting, he had a registration cow tag in our unit... we got out early in the morning traveling 24 miles in the dark on the ATV. and over a breakfast of instant eggs on the MSR, we started spotting from our vantage...

i spotted 3 cows nearly 2 miles away across a most unforgiving swamp, and the lad actually threw a tantrum we would not allow him to start shooting from there. or did not run right out there and shoot them all..he was 10 at the time. for awhile he once learning to shoot would be upset that my girls could out shoot him... after all HE WAS A BOY and SHOULD be able to shoot better then they could..
    LOL... it is all in the upbringing and educating. he is now spending a year back in that environment, and i fear i may have some re- education at task when he returns. there will always be those types that must grow to understand the reasons we hunt, and they must come up with their own.. as we age and mature as hunters i think we at one point go through all of the stages to an extent, and i find my self growing in some areas i never had thought of before...

as i am very capable of finding meat near home.. i seem to be expanding my horizons and looking for new game as well... is that a trophy hunt welling up in me or a meat hunt? or just a change of pace to see if the skills i have acquired are worthy of a new game? I teach my children respect for the animal and the resource it provides to us. and think any of my Friends would say i teach them the same, proper utilization of it is key.

have you ever asked your friends, WHY they make that comment? or feel that way? and present your own side of your discussion to them as well... you never know, you may make a difference and have a better understanding of yourself in the process.

meet on face book here