Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alaska and the 30-06

Default Alaska and the 30-06

Hello everyone,

I've never been to Alaska. But I'm working on changing that.

Wondering what your favorite bullet/load for hunting anywhere in AK.

Cool site look forward to getting to know folks here and making it there someday..

Thanks

OS

Just about anything made is someones favorite

You should get all types of responses for this. Are you referring to what one would use for a 30-06? I think you will find that the most popular cartridge here is the 338.

I wouldn't hesitate to hunt anything with a 30-06 in Alaska. It's currently the most powerful rifle I own and I have two of them..(I don't shoot very powerful rounds through my 45-70). At this point I pretty much just shoot good old Remington Core-Loks in 180 grain. I have been messing around with Hornady Light Magnums in 180 grain also.

Everybody says the .338 is the most popular in Alaska, yet I don't know a single guy that I've hunted with that has one. Lots of 30-06's and 7mm RemMags.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

The 180 grain Woodleigh bullets loaded for 2700 FPS. In a good re sized case will kill anything with proper bullet placement in Alaska. If you keep the range at or under 600 yards. I have never had a Woodleigh bullet fail under any conditions. Woodleigh are available from Huntingon .com

http://www.huntingtons.com/bullets_woodleigh.html
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs up While...

I've fired the 225grn & the 165gr & the 150gr, I can honestly say I like the 150's accuracy IMHO...

I've two '06's...a Savage 110 pre accutrigger, (in my sig pic) & a Rem. BDL mountain Rifle...I've yet to shoot...

Default what I shoot...

I've been shooting 165 grain Hornady BTSP handloads (pushed by 54.3 grains of IMR 4350) out of my /06 for about 13 years now. And I've got no complaints. I shoot a Rem 700, and while I've shot a lot of different loads, that's the one my gun just really seems to like and I keep coming back to it.

I'm thinking of working up some 180 grain loads this winter, but so far the 165 gr has worked for caribou, moose, elk, deer, pronghorn and black bear. The bullets have always performed well, so why fix what's not broken? I imagine they'll keep working just as well whereever I take them.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

In my view the 338 is over rated. Don't get me wrong, I've knocked down 6 moose with one. The problem that I see with them is the meat loss, compaired to lets say an 30-06 or similar. The bloodshot of one shot in the breadbasket from a 338 compared to an 06 is almost 2-3 times worse.

The 30-06 is made for , lets face it 100-200 yard shots, and at that range it will kill anything you are after, and in some case's further if you want to take the shot.

The 338 has a really fast bullet, and at close range, you can hit something and its going to sit there and look at you and think what was that and walk off. ( Depending on the placement) And then again It will fall in a heartbeat and never move.

Myself I have knocked over more game with an 06 than any other rifle.

And before any of you guys jump on me about close range, the 06 will do just the same if not more than any handgun thats on the market.

Quote Originally Posted by buckmark View Post
    You should get all types of responses for this. Are you referring to what one would use for a 30-06? I think you will find that the most popular cartridge here is the 338.
    And yet I'm willing to bet if there's only one centerfire rifle in a house in Alaska it'll be a .30-'06. Lots of guys may be in the field with something else (myself included), but there'll be a '06 somewhere at home. Mine included!

There is a reason the 06 has been around so long and the most popular cartridge out there. Only for the BIG bear would i want something bigger. For that matter the 06 will do just fine if the bullets are placed proplerly. As for a load i think 57grns of 4350 with a Nosler 180grn partition would do very well for just about everything up there that needs killing.

56.0 IMR 4350, WLR, 180 Norma Oryx. This load has produced one shot kills on moose, goats and deer. Granted the 180 Oryx is overkill on the goats and deer, but the load is accurate and is a good option in areas where you may encounter several species with varying degrees of size and toughness.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I wouldn't hesitate to hunt anything with a 30-06 in Alaska. It's currently the most powerful rifle I own and I have two of them..(I don't shoot very powerful rounds through my 45-70). At this point I pretty much just shoot good old Remington Core-Loks in 180 grain. I have been messing around with Hornady Light Magnums in 180 grain also.

Everybody says the .338 is the most popular in Alaska, yet I don't know a single guy that I've hunted with that has one. Lots of 30-06's and 7mm RemMags.
    The .338WM is one of the most popular cartridges in Alaska, along the .30-06, and 300WM.

Most hunters i know who use their .30-06, load them with 180-grain ammo (mostly 180-grain Partition).

Down here I run either 165 SGK or a 180 AB.. Deer and Elk.

I just finished up some "test" media boxes and I gotta round up some Swift SCII's, E-Tips and some 180 NP's and give them a run.

Yea I messed around with varrious magnums and such but I'm pretty much happy with a 260rem and a 30-06.

Just real curious what you AK hunters run in the -06.

Smile the great 30-06...

I started with an old sportarized Springfield 30-06. I read to much Elmer Keith as a kid and got my first .338 Win. Mag. in 1975. It has been my favorite caliber since then when 250 grain bullets are used. I have found that combination to be a superb killer of big animals if you put the bullet in the right place. The lighter, faster and more frangible .338 bullets are going to give you more "blood shot" on the animal. A stout 250 grain bullet at about 2700 fps mv does not have that problem. My family has used the 30-06 and continue to do so. It is a very good caliber. For many years we used the 200 grain Nosler Partition at about 2600 fps mv. It proved to be a good killer if the bullet was put in the right place. Back n the mid 80's we switched to the 180 grain Barnes X at about 2800 fps mv. It is a good killer also and kicks less then the 200 grain Partitions and penetrates deeper. We have great bullets available now. Much better then 25 years ago. I do not think we need any thing bigger then a 180 grain bullet from a 30-06. Especially if shots are kept under 300 yards. The exception might be if you plan on spending lots of time chasing ticked off brown bears in the alders. How ever, a .338 Win. Mag. with stout 250 grain bullets will work better on animals over 800 lbs. if we want to stop them in a hurry, or they are over 300 yards away. Shot placement and bullet construction are the 2 most important things to consider when it comes to making "gut piles", they go hand in hand. Both of my daughters have a 30-06 at their house. I still have an old pre-64 Mod. 70 Featherweight 30-06. We will always have a 30-06. It is that good.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    We will always have a 30-06. It is that good.
    I have at least a dozen 30-06 rifles in my hoard and do not consider that enough!

Default I've been in Alaska almost 20 years and have

never encountered anyone hunting with a .338WM. In fact, I've only seen two .338WM's at the gun range and one .30-06 while hunting in the same period. I've often wondered about the .338WM myth myself. Most everyone I know or have encountered in the field hunts with a 7mm RemMag, 300WM, 300 SAUM or use a .45-70.

Personally, the only people I've found that ask about the .30-06 is (normally) military members who just PCS'd to Alaska who have hunted in the lower 48 and already had one. For most, guns are expensive and deer hunters generally use one caliber for darn near everything. In Alaska, the practice really doesn't work; the hunting, and danger, is different.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

The 30-06 is a great cartridge for almost anything in Alaska and I would not hesitate to bring one up for hunting. I have one and have used it for all sorts of game with no complaints from the animals or me.

I have mostly used 165gr and 180gr bullets in either Nosler Partitions or Hornandy's with the occasional Winchester factory offering.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    In my view the 338 is over rated. Don't get me wrong, I've knocked down 6 moose with one. The problem that I see with them is the meat loss, compaired to lets say an 30-06 or similar. The bloodshot of one shot in the breadbasket from a 338 compared to an 06 is almost 2-3 times worse.

The 30-06 is made for , lets face it 100-200 yard shots, and at that range it will kill anything you are after, and in some case's further if you want to take the shot.

The 338 has a really fast bullet, and at close range, you can hit something and its going to sit there and look at you and think what was that and walk off. ( Depending on the placement) And then again It will fall in a heartbeat and never move.

Myself I have knocked over more game with an 06 than any other rifle.

And before any of you guys jump on me about close range, the 06 will do just the same if not more than any handgun thats on the market.

My all time favorite hunting ctg is the .375 H&H, you can eat up to the bullet hole. I have found that the 270 grain bullets works for me on everything. This load combo works well out o 400 to 500 yards for me. The recoil is gentle and You never suffer with a flinch.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default maybe its where you hunt

I see people carry 338 & 375's more often in the coastial areas of So Central and Kodiak I would guess because of the chance of close order encounters. As you go north or west and the coastial forest opens to tundra and rocky terain the need to shoot longer range is there and then 06', 300's etc. Just a guess

Smile I forgot...

You asked what 30-06 load. Mine is 58 to 60 grains of Reloader 19, Winchester cases, CCI 200 rifle primers and the 180 grain Barnes X. One of the Winchester "Classics" I gave my daughter got 2830 MV with 60 grains and the no longer made blue coated 180 grain Barnes X. I was surprised at the chrono readings. I have not tried the Tripple shocks yet. Lots of good components out there and each gun is a little different as you are probably aware.
    I have no personal experience with any of the bonded, plastic tipped bullets on the market. Lots of my friends have used them. So far from the 2nd hand autopsy reports I have received I ain't switching to them. As far as Alaska goes the 180 grain Barnes X, Nosler Partition or Swift A Frame would be my first choices. I love talking about the 30-06, thanks for bringing it up!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast