Thread: 45 acp RIFLE load data?

Default 45 acp RIFLE load data?

Does anyone have or know where I can get a recipe for reloading 45 acp RIFLE rounds? I can't find ANY data for 45 acp rifle; I looked at IMR's data online so far and struck out.

Any ideas?

Tim

Default Don't think I've ever

.......seen specific load data for 45ACP Rifle. All are pistol data as far I know.

My advice would be to work up loads with some of the slower powders suitable for this caliber, as you might gain some velocity in a longer barrel.
    Good luck!

Ed

Default Forgot to ask

what are you using to shoot these out of?

Default No ammo for rifle

I'm not aware of any .45 ACP ammo ever specifically made for rifles or carbines but many millions of rounds of it of it was shot out of Thompsons, Reisings, M3 grease guns, etc. With the small case capacity relative to bore size I would think a good stiff load of Unique or similar would duplicate the factory load and work just fine.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

You've got me curious now. I've heard there are adapters available that I could use to fire 45 ACP out of my Marlin 1895. That might be a good small game option.

I haven't ever seen any rifle-specific load data for 45 ACP, but I agree with the slow powder idea - give it a shot (pun intended) within safe limits and let us know what you come up with.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by e45colt View Post
    what are you using to shoot these out of?
    I am going to look at a Marlin Camp 45 that is on Alaska List but didn't want to pick up a rifle that I can't reload for. I've been hung-up on rifles in pistol calibers recently.

Soldier, I've never heard of adapters for an 1895, but that could be possible.

Tim

Default 45 acp

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    I am going to look at a Marlin Camp 45 that is on Alaska List but didn't want to pick up a rifle that I can't reload for. I've been hung-up on rifles in pistol calibers recently.

Soldier, I've never heard of adapters for an 1895, but that could be possible.

Tim
    Tim; The Camp 45 uses the same ammo that is used in a 1911 pistol. It will shoot +P ammo but not in great quantities if I remmember correctly.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I read an article somewhere about an Alaskan guide whose 12 year old son expressed an interest in going on a coastal brown bear hunt. The father chose the 450 Marlin 1895 for him, and bought the 45 ACP adapter for him to practise with to mitigate the recoil, that way he could practise more. I have not yet found the adapter, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

The strategy worked well for him and the boy wound up with a very nice bear using Hornady factory 450 Marlin ammo. 1 shot.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Default Probably not practical

Even if you could make an sort of adapter to chamber the .45 ACP round in the gun the bullet is much too small to work with any accuracy - shooting a .452 diam. ACP bullet in a .458 bore just does not work out. In addition the bullet would have a long "jump" to the start of the rifling at the front of the .450 Marlin chamber.

Shooting light handloads with cast bullets in the .450 makes a lot more sense.

Personally I think putting a 12 yr. old in the situation of hunting coastal brown bears is not a responsble action - too many things can and do go wrong even with adults present.

Quote Originally Posted by AKsoldier View Post
    I read an article somewhere about an Alaskan guide whose 12 year old son expressed an interest in going on a coastal brown bear hunt. The father chose the 450 Marlin 1895 for him, and bought the 45 ACP adapter for him to practise with to mitigate the recoil, that way he could practise more. I have not yet found the adapter, but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

The strategy worked well for him and the boy wound up with a very nice bear using Hornady factory 450 Marlin ammo. 1 shot.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by tvfinak View Post
    Even if you could make an sort of adapter to chamber the .45 ACP round in the gun the bullet is much too small to work with any accuracy - shooting a .452 diam. ACP bullet in a .458 bore just does not work out. In addition the bullet would have a long "jump" to the start of the rifling at the front of the .450 Marlin chamber.

Shooting light handloads with cast bullets in the .450 makes a lot more sense.

Personally I think putting a 12 yr. old in the situation of hunting coastal brown bears is not a responsble action - too many things can and do go wrong even with adults present.
    I believe the adapter is longer than a standard 450 Marlin shell - to eliminate the jump. I don't recall the accuracy of the 1895 with the adapter, but the father was comfortable with his son's ability - enough that he was willing to take him out after brownies.

As for him being responsible for taking his son out - he's a guide. That alone tells me he has more experience than me, and therefore more qualified to make that decision.

I'll be taking my ten-year-old out after black bears this spring, and he's ready. He'll be using his Rossi youth .243 and I'll be backing him up with the 1895.