Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Valley/Deadhorse Air Taxi Rec.?

Default Happy Valley/Deadhorse Air Taxi Rec.?

I'm hoping someone here can suggest an air taxi out of Deadhorse or Happy valley for next August. I'll have a big enough load for a Beaver or maybe a 206 on wheels. I kow Alaska Air Taxi stages a plane in the area, but I think they are out of town for the holidays/winter? I haven't been able to reach them by phone/email.

I'd prefer to not have to fly from the south side of the Brooks in order to save money. Personal experience good/bad/indifferent could be pm'd to me.

Thanks

Default Galbraith Lake

Coyote Air will meet you at Galbraith Lake. Well, they have made the flight with the Beaver and the drive with their fuel truck to Galbraith Lake form Cold Foot to meet north slope hunters several times in the last few years for sure.

dennis

I've flown with Coyote air twice in the last few years and they HIGHLY discourage picking you up in Gailbrath Lake to fly you out. They will go out of there way to not do this. I ended up hitchhiking from Pump 3 all the way to Coldfoot to retrieve my truck one year.

Dirk says they've had too many bad experiences with people not being there when they arrive or not being ready.

A few years back after our hunt he dropped us off at Gailbrath and his wife came in the truck to get us because the weather was too low to make it South to Coldfoot.

They are reliable and I feel safe, but EXPENSIVE and busy.

Deltanna Outfitters operates out of Happy Valley. They can be reached in Delta Junction this time of year. Not sure if they have a 206 up there though.

Hi,
    I am going to have a cub based at chandalar shelf during hunting season. Depending on how far you have to go I might be able to help.
    Thanks
    Jeff Kruse
    Bushwhacker Air

Default Brooks air taxi

Alaska air taxi runs year round. call the anchorage office because deadhorse is minimal manned. I used them a couple years ago and had great service. this past year we sat in deadhorse for 2 1/2 days and finally gave up. They have a beaver on wheeels and sometimes a 206,but it wasnt available last year. They are very buisy and have to deal with allot of bad deadhorse weather. They have their cleints and also are contracted by local guides. so to say they are buisy is a understatement.

As for happy valley it would be the spot to take off from if you can find a flight. Dealtana are very nice people but they run a guide servive so they will not drop off DIY sheep hunters. I was told last year they wouldnt even do caribou hunters but thats second hand. Alaska bush sports may be operating this year but Im not sure mike has his plane yet. He is a good guy and took care of me even when he could have called it quits.

As for others from Happy valley i have no experence. Good luck. Hillbilly

Default alaska airtaxi

Hi Hillbilly, is Jack Tim still running the AK airtaxi? Thanks Tom

Default Arrowhead Outfitters

You might try Howard at Arrowhead Outfitters. I believe they are based in Wasilla. I don't have the number but I'm sure If you do a search on Google you'll find them. I used them last year. Good service. Nice people. Aircraft well taken care of. I felt safe flying with them.

Howard is a hell of a pilot.

So Howard, with Arrowhead Outfitters, perhaps based in Wasilla, is a hell of a pilot. Can you tell us where he operates? Does he operate out of Happy Valley and/or Deadhorse, or Cold Foot, or Galbraith Lake, or anywhere in the Brooks Range?

Persistent1 employed Howard/Arrowhead last year for air support, I presume, for a hunt. Where?

Default Arrowhead Outfitters

Howard operated out of Happy Valley last I was there in 2008.

At the time he was charging $2200/person for a bou drop hunt out of Happy Valley. The flight time was less than 15 minutes one way in his helio.

I did not use his service, but spoke to him as well as several hunters who flew with him.

Based on what I know, a flyin hunt on the north side of the Brooks will cost you from $2000 - $3500/person depending on the flight service and where you want to go.

Good luck with your decision.

Default Jack Barber

owns Alaska air taxi. Hillbilly
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Hi Hillbilly, is Jack Tim still running the AK airtaxi? Thanks Tom

Mike McCrary has arranged flights for me out of Happy Valley for the past two years in a row. He had a 206 at his disposal both years and, I understand, will have one again this year.

Mike has always taken me places where I never see another hunter in camp, and I have always gone in and gotten out on schedule (weather permitting).

Deltana and Arrowhead were there last year too, but I thought I heard Howard was not coming back next year? Not sure about that one, so I'd call him to verify.

Don Mulligan

Deltana is a fantastic outfit. I have flown with them twice now out of Happy Valley and had great experiences. First time, fully outfitted drop camp was about $2K. Now that I live up here I didn't need to be outfitted so I just used them for flight time. Price was $1500 for a drop off caribou hunt. Whoever said they don't do drop offs was incorrect. They do them and are happy to. In fact, last year Ralph said they stopped the outfitted camps as the customers were too hard on the gear. Now they only do drop offs. Just contact Ralph with Deltana to get the details. You won't meet a nicer guy. That all being said, your biggest limitation is they only fly cubs. We were easily able to get one guy, his gear, and a caribou in one flight.

I flew with Alaska Air Taxi in their Beaver last summer for some work. They were also good to work with. I don't remember off hand how much the charter was but being a beaver they weren't cheap. Interestingly, I saw them drop off some hunters this past August when I was out hunting. They dropped them a couple valleys north or us. Hillbilly's right though, weather is a major issue flying out of Deadhorse. I would shoot for Happy Valley if you can swing it.

There's also another outfit up there but I can't remember the name off hand. He has a blue 206 and I've seen him both when I was up there in 2004 and this past summer. He comes into Happy Valley but isn't based there. I have a friend who used them and had good luck. I can try and track down the info if you need it. Anyone know who this is?

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post

At the time he was charging $2200/person for a bou drop hunt out of Happy Valley. The flight time was less than 15 minutes one way in his helio.

I did not use his service, but spoke to him as well as several hunters who flew with him.

Based on what I know, a flyin hunt on the north side of the Brooks will cost you from $2000 - $3500/person depending on the flight service and where you want to go.

That is way too much to fly into the Brooks From Happy Valley especially a 15 minute flight!!!....Most of the air carriers go by flight time per hour depending on type of airframe and load. You could fly from Fairbanks to the north side Brooks range for that kind of price.

Birdstrike,
    Not sure where you plan on hunting in the Brooks Range, but anyway if your choosing to hunt within the boundaries of ANWR all the commercial air transporters must be licensed to drop off hunters in there, Privates are fine. Being Federal land its controlled there from the Outfitting guides to the commercial transporters. Upon the completion of my hunt, I even had to fill out a questionaire from ANWR, they also wanted to know if I had any problems with any commercial guides etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Berto View Post

Dang That price out of Happy is outrageous. I know Deltanna WAS operating DIY bou hunts from Happy last year because I talked to Ralph directly and almost booked one but I had to leave on a family trip. I don't believe his price was even close to that though...I though it was quite a bit cheaper.

Default Happy Valley

Deltana and Arrowhead are the only two based out of HappyValley, the other are based out of Deadhorse and Kaktovic, Not sure how much Deltana will be doing drop hunts this year. Arrowhead uses a Maule, he dumps hunters everywhere and charges way too much!(wont use them) Alaska flyers uses a 206 out of Kaktovic but will pick up at HV. Alaska air uses a beaver and a 206, no complaints with them. Mikes air taxi is using a helio this year. Ive used everyone except Arrowhead and I wont ever use him. Im flying with Mikes again this year

Default Stand corrected

I guess i was told wrong about Dealtana not flying DIY. And yes ralph is without a doubt the nicest guy up there.
    Alaska air prices last year were $900hr/beaver and i beleive the 206 would have been $700hr.
    Oh almost forgot about Dan sailor(spelling) out of Katovik. He must be doing good buisness because allot of hunters fly out with Alaska air taxi to his camp. Hillbilly

Default Helio pilot?

Quote Originally Posted by akhunter02 View Post
    Deltana and Arrowhead are the only two based out of HappyValley, the other are based out of Deadhorse and Kaktovic, Not sure how much Deltana will be doing drop hunts this year. Arrowhead uses a Maule, he dumps hunters everywhere and charges way too much!(wont use them) Alaska flyers uses a 206 out of Kaktovic but will pick up at HV. Alaska air uses a beaver and a 206, no complaints with them. Mikes air taxi is using a helio this year. Ive used everyone except Arrowhead and I wont ever use him. Im flying with Mikes again this year
    Akhunter, Is Mike flying or does he have another pilot?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast