Thread: Auger Rental?

Default Auger Rental?

Hi, I'm a PhD. Student at UAA and our lab is in desperate need of renting a 10"ice auger so we can proceed with our research. Does anyone know of a place that might rent augers (I've allready called the "general" rental businesses) OR would be willing to rent their 10" auger to us for a few days? Thanks, James

Quote Originally Posted by jjwillac View Post
    Hi, I'm a PhD. Student at UAA and our lab is in desperate need of renting a 10"ice auger so we can proceed with our research. Does anyone know of a place that might rent augers (I've allready called the "general" rental businesses) OR would be willing to rent their 10" auger to us for a few days? Thanks, James
    i think sportsmans warehouse rents them, you just need to buy it then bring it back saying it sux when your done
    Semper Fi!

3 rivers fly and tackle will rent them out. Knowing them they will charge an arm and a leg for it though.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

So tell me Pike Palace how much would rent yours for to a stranger????

George

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    So tell me Pike Palace how much would rent yours for to a stranger????

George
    The point was Three Rivers IMO seems very proud of their inventory as a whole, not just the augers. The point obviously slipped past you.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

3 rivers has to charge more as they are competing with the big box stores.. So you never buy from 3 rivers? gotta support the little guy...

Oh I go to 3 rivers every now and then, but it isn't just the prices that drive me away. The people in there are quite frankly pretty arrogant. You ask them anything and they act like they know more, they don't want to tell you anything period what so ever. So I just don't go to 3 rivers that often.

gotta agree with you on the arrogant part.

I have to say, 3 Rivers has always treated me fairly. I would much rather talk to them than Wal Mart or Sportsman's. They ARE knowledgeable and always have what I need. I always stop there on the way to Little Su or on the way to the cabin at Big Lake. They are good people. You get what you pay for. Buy cheap get cheap. At 3 rivers they know how to treat a customer.

Default auger rental

If you ever ran a rental shop you would see why you have to charge to rent stuff out, the people don't take care of it, they beat it up real bad, after all it is a rental unit 3 rivers is a shop that deals with a lot of fishing equipment the product is all ways great they stand behind what they sell,
    if you ever ran a store in Alaska yor could see what it takes to just keep the doors open, heat/lights on they have my vote for a good place to get fishing equipment

If you know someone who has access to Elmendorf, the Outdoor Rec center rents augers. I'm not positive they have a 10", but it is an option. I think they're fairly cheap as well.
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.

I hang out at 3 Rivers alot and have never seen or felt them to be arrogant or non-hepful. Many times I have watched them pull the maps out and point to the spot and share the rock to stand on to have a good chance at a fish. This was not only to me but to guys that just walk in.

I would like to appologize for any that felt looked down on or slighted in any way. I am not affiliated with 3 rivers other than I teach "Intro to fly tying". We have a fly tying get together on most Sat. mornings and whilst participating there is a discount on most shop items.

I have been in shops that have the attitude explained above but have never seen it at 3 Rivers.

George

All sales are final on ice augers at sportmans.

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    i think sportsmans warehouse rents them, you just need to buy it then bring it back saying it sux when your done

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    All sales are final on ice augers at sportmans.

seen them at walmart tonight! and they take anythign back!
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    seen them at walmart tonight! and they take anythign back!
    This is the mentality that forced SW's to restrict their auger sales as final.

THANKS

I'd be interested in a direct price comparison, lure to lure, between WALMart, Freddy's, Sportsman's, and 3 Rivers. Its easy to claim a place has really high prices, but is it true? I almost hate to throw Sportsman's in the mix, because true, they have some really low prices, but they went bankrupt because they didn't pay their bills. Its really easy to buy something on credit, sell it too cheap to pay back its distributor, but its gonna come back on you.

I apologize for the thread hijack. 3 Rivers does rent augers, but their rentals are 8" only. United Rentals sometimes has them, as well. Another option is to buy a Strikemaster, which runs about $400, and its yours when the project is over. You can also be a dishonest lowlife, and tell someone you're buying it, use it hard a few days, then return it as used/damaged goods and make that business take a total loss on the auger, but I wouldn't recommend that approach. Good luck with your project!

Quote Originally Posted by pike_palace View Post
    Oh I go to 3 rivers every now and then, ...The people in there are quite frankly pretty arrogant. You ask them anything and they act like they know more, they don't want to tell you anything period what so ever.
    I don't doubt your experience....but consider your approach...no one can learn anything if they think they know everything...the guys behind the counter are helpful, but they're also human, so I can see them being less helpful sometimes.....perhaps a bad day, or they perceive an attitude, and reading your comment about them I'm leaning toward the latter...

you are correct, the prices are a tad bit higher on a lot of smaller stuff...when I was shopping for augers they were certainly more expensive there, but I got a new set of Simms waders and an AquaView cheaper there than I'd seen anywhere....they do have a good sale from time to time...but like others have stated, I don't mind paying a bit more there...they stay open late and have stuff others don't, in fact, there are a couple items that I can't find anywhere else....

..and jjwillac, I wish I had a suggestion for you for an auger...the only thing I can think of is to buy a cheaper 10" auger and sell it when you are finished....you might be able to realize a total expense of $100 or so...depending on how many folks are participating in your research you might get by pretty cheap per person....
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default auger

lets not forget Costco, they have them in the Diamond Store was there last night 23 Dec. the cheepest place to get one for what you want would be the BASE, if ELM.AFB has them Fort Rich, should also, a phone call will tell you all you need to know, the price should be the same for rental, but there rules could be different

Elmendorf's prices are $20/day or $100/week.
    http://www.elmendorfservices.com/tra...DR/ODRPage.php
    Although some can call it Catchin', I still have to call it fishin'.