Thread: Chugach National Forest Rules

Default Chugach National Forest Rules

Does anyone know what aditional restrictions there are for hunting in Chugach National Forest? I cant find anything on the website for it. Is there any additional restrictions? Particularly about distance from trails?

Default good question

good question, I guess one has to watch out for the fed's and eco-tourist when hunting near trails. I wouldn't like to end up like the fellow on the Kenai this fall tried by the press

Here is a link to a previous post that may help you;
    But the best source is always the local Chugach National Forest office;

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...d.php?p=549680

There are not too many regulations concerning hunting on National Forest Lands. Mostly just the State regulations. However, there can be some around highly used areas. They should be signed. This mostly occurs around campgrounds. Call the local Ranger District Office for further details on the area you want to use. Jim

"In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post

I Thunks that he was asking about the National Forest.......not the state park....

Ohhhhh...ok, I missed that part.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I Thunks that he was asking about the National Forest.......not the state park....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

So, a friend called a trooper today asking about hunting opportunities south of Anchorage, and he was given some incorrect information, as can happen. I was able to debunk some of it, but one portion: "it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 150 yards of any dwelling, structure, or highly developed and populated trail", I could not instantly debunk. I dug a lot on the internet, and I found nothing. Finally I called the Chugach National Forest office and was told that this is true. I asked for a citation, and the guy gave me one. Here ya go: http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retrieve....1.1.20.1.33.1

Turns out it is true. Doesn't really change much for me, I was just a little surprised. I also think it's unfortunate that there are laws out there that are sooooo hard to find, but that we are supposed to follow. The state hunting regs give no mention of this, other than a CYA note that "other federal laws may apply". I would like to see a summary of federal hunting regulations, at least electronically to keep costs down, so that one doesn't need to spend 15 minutes on the phone talking to several people to find a regulation that's buried in federal code.

(I know this is an old thread. I found it on a search while initially trying to find the answer to my question, so I figured I would resurrect and try to spread the word.)

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Oh, oops, to help you wade through, you are looking for part 261.10. Looks like it would be illegal for me to play my trumpet out there too, dang. But joking aside, if your duck call is "unreasonably disturbing any person", you could get a ticket... so you 20-mile and Portage area hunters... like... watch out for that. Good thing the federal gov't has laws on this stuff. The state of Alaska clearly wasn't handling these details adequately on its own.
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    I was able to debunk some of it, but one portion: "it is illegal to discharge a firearm within 150 yards of any dwelling, structure, or highly developed and populated trail",
    That populated trail part sure is a hard one to figure out. According to the map posted at the Russian River, the falls trail is closed but beyond the falls the same trail is open... Very interesting...