Thread: Dog chewed on goat skull...

Unhappy Dog chewed on goat skull...

I will start by admitting that I am about the biggest idiot in the world. I got a goat in October and cared for the skull myself, boiling it a few times and removing all of the flesh that I could. I had plans to bleach the skull and affix it to a board for mounting on the wall. It was looking to be a pretty good DIY euro-mount. I left it for now as the centerpiece of my coffee table. Well, I left a friend's dog at my place for part of Saturday, which I have done before, but I forgot to take the goat skull off the coffee table and put it where the dog couldn't get it. I came home to find the skull on the floor next to a small pile of bone fragments. He chewed off the front of the skull back to about the first molar.

So, my question is this: does anybody know of anything that can be done? Does anyone know of restorations they can do to a skull that was damaged for other reasons, say fractures from a fall, etc? I kept the bone fragments, although it looks like more is missing than can be made up by these. I can post photos if anybody thinks it would be helpful.

What a crappy piece of absentmindedness. I'm really disappointed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Gr is for Greg View Post
    although it looks like more is missing than can be made up by these.
    the real question is....will you be "searching" for them (the missing pieces) when you take your dog out to go #2 ? .....

sorry to hear about the skull....is there a reason that a bit of super glue wouldn't work?...or are you trying to hide the cracks and such?
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Super glue...

Super glue is my first option, but like I said, I think some of the bone pieces were ingested - and no, I won't be following the dog around with a baggie. I'll give it a shot, but I don't have high hopes. I guess I was thinking there may be some way to create a bone replica and glue it on. I don't know - grasping at straws before I decide to just pop the horns off and throw it in the trash.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default Don't toss it out...

Goats are a hard-to-come-by trophy. If your skull frontal area is damaged beyond repair, you could perhaps do a "horn panel mount" instead of a European mount. At least you'd preserve the memory of the hunt in a manner that can be displayed on the wall or a table. Just save the remaining skull so it can be custom fit into a nice panel mount. Attached are some I did for customers that may give you a better idea of my description.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Nice ideas

Yeah, those look good. I could do something like that. Of course, if you read one of my other posts, you will see that I'm debating getting a full head or even shoulder mount. The whole hide is currently at the taxi, but I'm not completely sure what I will do. My plan had been to do the euro with the horns attach and then maybe to the mount with replica horns. I guess now that the skull is at the very best pretty messed up, it would make more sense to use the real horns on the mount. I could do something like what you have posted though. Not sure. I'll let you guys know what I do. Thanks for your advice.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

Default shoot a wolf

Then do a full body mount of the wolf chewing on the goat skull.

Default New mount

I would have a brand new dog rug/mount..
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

Default Some Photos

Haha, I like the idea of the wolf mount chewing the goat skull... The dog was just being a dog. A skull is a nice big bone after all...

I was looking at it last night. Maybe I could mount it as is. What do you guys think? Here is what I'm working with:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My signature is awesome.

Default Don't sweat it

Now you have a good excuse for the Mrs. to go on another hunt. Make knives from the horn and do the throw rug like you planned. Most of the local guys here in Sitka just saw em off the cranium and have a small pile of em.