Thread: What to do once I sell my handgun to a private-party?

Default What to do once I sell my handgun to a private-party?

So Im going to sell my pistol to a friend what do i have to do once i sell it? I have not officially registered that i know off all i have was bought it. ive heard you have transfer it since its a pistol and i cant find info online how to do so. please advice

If you live in Alaska, there is no gun registration. The only thing you need to do is create a bill of sale to cover your own behind.

Look at it this way... the gov't doesn't know you own it now, so why would you have to tell them that you no longer own something they didn't know about in the first place?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

You have to make sure they are 21. You cannot legally sell it to them IF you KNOW FOR SURE they are a felon. But you are not required to do any background check unless you are an FFL, in which case you wouldn't be posting this question cuz you'd know. Otherwise it's like selling a barbeque or an old lamp at a yard sale, get the cash and have a nice day. But like JOAT said, do a bill of sale for your own protection in case it ever ended up in a crime and somehow got traced back/connected to you. You could then prove you sold it.

Ok i see your point. Another question, who do they call when you go to purchase a gun and what does is obtained from this call(does this not register the serial number to me it just checks my criminal history)? So sell is done and i've got a bill of sale im clean and clear ready to go!

Quote Originally Posted by krgentrup View Post
    Ok i see your point. Another question, who do they call when you go to purchase a gun and what does is obtained from this call(does this not register the serial number to me it just checks my criminal history)?
    NO! We still have some of our Second Amendment rights left and the FEDS do NOT require us to register our firearms!!!!

The Brady Bill put in to law the NICS background check...National Instant Criminal Background Check System. Go here and read about it:
    http://www.fbi.gov/hq/cjisd/nics/nicsfact.htm

It is still against the law for the Feds to keep track of ANY firearms you purchase. Some states and cities have their own laws that require handgun registrations, etc.

Take some time to learn what your rights are as an American when it comes to gun ownership. Then you will know what you need to fight for when they try to take those rights away!! Like the so called "gun show loophole" they want to get rid of. That could be your first assignment. Tell us what you find out

One clarification as far as a simple private sale goes. It MUST happen Face to Face (FTF). If there is any shipping involved then you need to get an FFL to handle the transfer of the firearm. Not the money. If it get to interstate sales there may be law pertaining to a specific state that you will need to bone up on.

Make sure they live in Alaska and they are 21 and not a felon as mentioned. All guns purchased from a dealer by you can be traced to you but this follows the gun from manufacture to wholesaler to dealer bound book to 4473 with your name. Gun traces start at the factory not the end buyer.The only way the government sees the 4473 is if they check the business and its records or a business goes out of business and all the records are properly sent to the BATF

Default our gun rights

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    Take some time to learn what your rights are as an American when it comes to gun ownership.
    First handgun I ever bought, a long time ago, I asked some basic questions too.

The seller was a gun shop, and the salesman was an ex-police-officer; I had asked the right guy. I was asking what/where I could or couldn't do/go...

He splained it like this:

-> He put the handgun I was purchasing in my hand. He said: You can go just about anywhere in the U.S. with this if its visible to others; no problem.

-> He took the gun back and produced a good sized billyclub from behind the counter and put in my hand. He said: Walk around with that in your hand and you'll be arrested and locked up.

I questioned the logic of that; he agreed, but said that the laws dated back to a day when it was very common for law abiding citizens to be armed. But only troublemakers would wield clubs.

Default Times sure have changed

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    First handgun I ever bought, a long time ago, I asked some basic questions too.

The seller was a gun shop, and the salesman was an ex-police-officer; I had asked the right guy. I was asking what/where I could or couldn't do/go...

He splained it like this:

-> He put the handgun I was purchasing in my hand. He said: You can go just about anywhere in the U.S. with this if its visible to others; no problem.

-> He took the gun back and produced a good sized billyclub from behind the counter and put in my hand. He said: Walk around with that in your hand and you'll be arrested and locked up.

I questioned the logic of that; he agreed, but said that the laws dated back to a day when it was very common for law abiding citizens to be armed. But only troublemakers would wield clubs.
    Times sure have changed, as have the laws, especially in California and Illinois and a few other states and localities.

Lost Sheep

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

What to do once I sell my handgun to a private-party?

pretty simple... write receipt... spend the cash.... all done.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Buying another gun comes to mind!

Selling any firearm in Alaska means you have roomfor another, go get what you want and don't look back.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson