Thread: Weekend Trip to Alpine Creek

Default Weekend Trip to Alpine Creek

I just returned from a weekend trip into Alpine Creek Lodge with my wife Julie and our dog Henrie. The ride in on Saturday was "bone-chilling" cold, but we made it in with all of our digits. After a great dinner of moose and potatoes, made by Uncle Craig, I went on an awsome trail ride with Gordon, Bob and Craig. The temperature for the ride increased to 10 above which was much better than the 20 below weather in Cantwell earlier in the day. We rode by headlight on 12" of new powder...great riding. Woke up to a great breakfast Sunday morning and then hit the highway back to Cantwell. We saw lots of wildlife along the highway...caribou and a coyote on the way in and a ton of caribou and a huge moose on the way out. All in all a great trip. Gordon, Jennifer, Bob, and Craig are great hosts, and we had a wonderful time at the lodge. The beer was cold, the coffee was hot, and the conversation was great.

Attached is a pic of the wife (thumbs up) at the Susitna River. The dog is under cover in the sled...too warm to get out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Bob

Bob is the mature, responsible one of the bunch :-) I heard he can shoot better than Claude too.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Question

Where did you park your rig in Cantwell?
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Default Parking for Alpine Creek

There is a parking spot about two miles out of Cantwell large enough for a few truck/trailer combos.

Two miles down the Denali Highway just in front of the warning sign that says something like "entry not recommended".

I'm making the trip tomorrow with my wife. How long was the ride in? Did you carry extra gas? Any other info you can pass along would be appreciated, thanks.

Can't a person head up the Jack River also, there are access routes through the Athna lands that get a person back to the highway also. I probably have parked areas that I should not have earlier so I won't tell you where I have parked.

The Jack River route is for a group of 3 or 4 expert riders on long-tracked machines or late spring when the snow is firm. It's very brushy bushwhacking and the snow tends to be very deep. Not a solo trip, at least not for the prudent.

Along the Denali Highway the Ahtna lands end around Seattle Creek (but check your maps to be sure)

bobblehead, as far as the trip to Alpine Creek goes, it's an easy 65 miles. If your machine can't go that far on a tank then carry extra. There is gas for sale at the lodge. Figure 2 hours from the parking lot to the lodge. That covers stops to adjust cargo and take pictures. (if the weather is nice you'll have several ooh, aahh moments)

Last report is the snow is a bit thin for the first 10 miles out of Cantwell so peel off onto the shoulder as needed to keep cool. After that the snow get's safely deeper. Be careful from Canyon Creek (MP 95) to Gracious House (MP 82) as the road drifts over through that section.

Otherwise, riding the Denali Highway is a smooth, fast run.

thanks for the info

Thumbs up Thanks Blackfoot!

You know... even though it is true that my 6 yr old Bob can shoot better then me doesn't mean it should be advertised! I call it very good teaching by me!

It was great meeting you folks! They were kind enough to put my wife on Julie's sled and help us after the 700RMK I bought only made it one mile down the Denali Highway before deciding it didn't like those temps!

I think Henrie the dog and Samson (our dog) had the best time. Those two spent the entire time playing like long lost buddies!

That kid was tough as nails riding in that weekend! It was -40 in the morning at Cantwell. We got ahold of the lodge and they reported 2 above, so we knew we were going in the right direction. We waited and took our time. Was -26 in Cantwell, then we drove to the unloading point on the Denali Highway, just a couple of miles down, and it was -13. Like a heat wave! I checked Bob every 15 minutes, as I was freezing, and he kept saying "I'm fine dad, let's go!". My wife wasn't so enthusiastic! By the time we left, it was 26 above!

Been holding in the 20's for over the last week!

Big New Years party this weekend! Our first at Alpine Creek! We opened at the end of January last year, just to make it more challenging.... lol! We have 5 rooms left, all with either one or two twin beds. Hoping to have it full!

We have about 70 miles of trail broke in already, and plan on breaking in another 100 miles this weekend, up Valdez Mine road, and out to the Clearwater River, and Windy Creek.

Happy Riding and Happy New Year to all!!
    Experience Real Alaska! www.alpinecreeklodge.com

Just returned from our trip out to Alpine Creek Lodge and we had a real good time. Thanks to Jennifer, Josh, Bob, and Samson for the great hospitality.

The trip out was beautiful, even though we had to ride double on the Arctic Cat because the Ski Doo wouldn't start at the trailhead. Claude called out to the lodge for us and gave a time frame for our arrival and had Josh on standby in case our remaining machine wasn't up for the ride, which gave us some good peace of mind. We saw a few herds of caribou and some spectacular scenery.

Great food was waiting for us, the stove in the trappers cabin was stoked, and we went for a nice trail ride the next morning after a solid breakfast.

Definitely worth the trip.