Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dead horses aint' happening

Default Dead horses aint' happening

In my internet travels today I noted somebody trying to get rid of a dead horse. I am always on the lookout for good deals, and try to keep my buddies in mind just in case something I find will fit their needs. Not wants mind you, just needs.
    So here comes this horse, like manna from heaven. A gift for my trapping buddy. Being the ever faithful outdoor endeavors partner, I promptly send him the link. Wallah! Job done.
    Then I call his house tonight and lo and behold who answers but his lovely. And guess what she said? After she beat me about the ears, she asked me what in the heck I was thinking? I told her I guess I wasn't, or I would have sent the message to a different e-mail. Ohhhhh, did that get a spin.
    Ever good natured, she reminded me of the moose. The one they got as a road kill with a permit to use for trapping. The one that ended up thawing in the spring when they did not use it all. The one that dripped blood on the ground. Ah pooh, I exclaimed. He learned his lesson and would never ever let a dead animal lay on a trailer in the driveway. The laughter continued for quite a while.
    Well, I told her, we could always bring it in the garage, thaw it, and then stand it up in the yard. When the girls get up on Christmas morning there would be Mr. Ed all ready to ride.
    I'm sure glad that woman likes me. She only threatened to cut me off of the e-mail and phone list, nothing else.

Pigs, horses, domestic rabbits and chickens haven't worked for us in the past. We have a goat and a few other misc farm animals to try this year. I'll keep ya'll updated as time permits....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Default A small Tip

Huntress,
    I too had the same luck with domestic animals as a bait station. Nothing would go near them. Then I found if I let the dogs chew on them for a little while, it was like the light turned green. It seems the scent from the canines made it OK. I would then let the dogs work on it for a while then load it into my sled and cart off to my line. Worked for me for many years.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Pigs, horses, domestic rabbits and chickens haven't worked for us in the past. We have a goat and a few other misc farm animals to try this year. I'll keep ya'll updated as time permits....

i hung a dead milk goat in a tree over my bear bait 4 years ago... still there, mumified remains tangled in the branches un touched by all but flys
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

We got lucky one year and had placed buffalo gutt piles out. We did catch a little female off one of them, but other than that they sat there until the bears drug them off in the spring. We had the best luck with wild animals, such as hare and grouse carcasses, moose kill etc....

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Mist View Post
    Huntress,
    I too had the same luck with domestic animals as a bait station. Nothing would go near them. Then I found if I let the dogs chew on them for a little while, it was like the light turned green. It seems the scent from the canines made it OK. I would then let the dogs work on it for a while then load it into my sled and cart off to my line. Worked for me for many years.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i hung a dead milk goat in a tree over my bear bait 4 years ago... still there, mumified remains tangled in the branches un touched by all but flys
    thought you were suppose to clean up your bait stations when season was over, sounds like you forgot,
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by ironartist View Post
    thought you were suppose to clean up your bait stations when season was over, sounds like you forgot,
    nope sound like i left a dead goat in the woods i own... under the tree or in the branches final resting spot of a tired ol nanny... tried baiting there that year caught lots of flys
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default Negativity

Hey Vince, Don't you just love all the wise @ss comments people come up with.. I mena a guy can do everything perfectly legal.. and their will be 1 or 2 J@ck@sses who will read between the lines and point out something negative.. Like they are Jonny law or something.. In short.. its Christmas.. If you dont have nothing nice to say, keep your TRAP shut and your fingers off your keyboard...

Milk goat eh? that's funny

I'm raising guinne pigs, I plan on letting them all go way up high in the mountians and watching them run around.. .. so when bear comes.. BAM...

Our, digging a big hole and filling it half full of ashes, and puting peas around it.. when the bear comes to take a pea, I will kick him in the ash hole..

I was told by an old trapper who had trapped all over the lower 48 that a coyotes nose was so good that they knew if a dead animal had been poisoned and knew not to eat it. He also said if the farm animal had been medicated in any way the coyote wouldn't touch it. The question came about, after seeing 3 dead cows, untouch (except by birds) and tracks of coyotes walking past the carcuses. Maybe thier noses are that good?

Tombo, how do you explain rabbits and chickens that arent medicated.

Personally, I think it has to do with the human scent on them or something that isn't "natural" to them....But I haven't been able to prove it otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    Hey Vince, Don't you just love all the wise @ss comments people come up with.. I mena a guy can do everything perfectly legal.. and their will be 1 or 2 J@ck@sses who will read between the lines and point out something negative.. Like they are Jonny law or something.. In short.. its Christmas.. If you dont have nothing nice to say, keep your TRAP shut and your fingers off your keyboard...

I'm raising guinne pigs, I plan on letting them all go way up high in the mountians and watching them run around.. .. so when bear comes.. BAM...

Our, digging a big hole and filling it half full of ashes, and puting peas around it.. when the bear comes to take a pea, I will kick him in the ash hole..
    you havn't figured out the bait in some post? lol good practice for spring I knew a commment like that was headed this way....

y

Quote Originally Posted by Tombo View Post
    I was told by an old trapper who had trapped all over the lower 48 that a coyotes nose was so good that they knew if a dead animal had been poisoned and knew not to eat it. He also said if the farm animal had been medicated in any way the coyote wouldn't touch it. The question came about, after seeing 3 dead cows, untouch (except by birds) and tracks of coyotes walking past the carcuses. Maybe thier noses are that good?
    you know that is an interesting thing abut them too... they have been educated about poisons and such in the south but not so much here.. but that medication part DOES not explain why the still eat farm animals on the hoof... you would figure that meds would make them safe

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Well, I told her, we could always bring it in the garage, thaw it, and then stand it up in the yard. When the girls get up on Christmas morning there would be Mr. Ed all ready to ride.
    Thats a good one

Huntress, I've shot many a coyote over an old chicken pile in the lower 48 but as you said the familiarity with the animal probably plays into the equation? Predators in the lower 48 do know a chicken when they see one!

Oh they know what chickens are up here as well. Luckily we haven't had that problem yet, but I know many folks who have woke up to a coop full of dead chickens after a fox or coyote had its dinner. Maybe its the movement that makes them more enticing when alive?? These of course are all assumtions on my part, but we haven't had the best of luck using domestic animals.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Vince, they pobably realize all living animals are safe to eat through experience. Having trapped/hunted them for years, any level of understanding they possess wouldn't suprize me. Unlike most furbearers if I didn't bring my "A" game I was unsuccessful with coyotes, which was most of the time.LOL Merry Christmas to all, no offense to those who don't! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post

Ya know that you have to clean up your bait station when your done for the season don't you. vince says he didn't clean it up for 4 years doesn't matter his property or not if it's a regestered station it's a law to clean it up!
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I think Vince can handle the ribbing. Heck, you give it, you have to expect to get it back.
    Early to bed
    Early to Rise
    Fish all day
    Make up lies

Default thanks Crumm

I am glad somebody caught the humor. I was actually fishing for more funny stories. Maybe we are getting fresh out of humor because of the dark, deep cold winter?
    I think the next time I call up to my buddies house I'll have some horse sounds to play for her. Wonder if I can hook something up to her car? Or find a bobble head horse? Hmm, this could get even more fun.

Default domestic

I killed three young bulls one year and used the guts for a bait pile and then called near it after a week and had great success.

I took an old horse that belonged to me out to the back section of a buddies farm & put her down, went to get the dozer but the gates were locked & told my buddy i'd come up there in a couple days & bury the horse when i got the dozer from the other farm, in just 4days time the coyotes had completely consumed the entire carcass & all that remained were the scattered bones, this horse weighed aprox 900-1000 lbs, we put in some blind sets on trails leading to the carcass & picked up a few coyotes, we also called in the area since we figured there were alot of coyotes in the imediate area due to the fast consumption of the horse, due to the wind we were only able to call the area about 3 times in about 2wks but killed a double on coyotes twice & took 2 singles from different stands so in 2wks time between traps & hunting we killed 11 coyotes off that 1 dead horse. Had i known this prior to putting down the horse i would have more strategically placed the carcass in order to be more call setup user friendly, ive seen no difference in coyotes avoiding domestic livestock vs roadkilled deer that i've placed as bait stations, but the coyotes in my area are acustomed to feeding on dead livestock since this is a rural farming area & their not picky as to where their next meal of high quality protien comes from. I guess what works in some areas my not work in others.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast