Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Airboat ban on Knik & Jim creek

Default Airboat ban on Knik & Jim creek

There is going to be a meeting this Thursday at AK airboats at 6 pm. The meeting is going to be about restrictions or ban of airboat use on the Knik and Jim creek areas. Call AK Airboats for more info Just passing info along I do not know all the details.

From what I taken the Knik Personal Use Area legislation that has already passed garauntee's access for all users. Correct me if I am wrong.

This talk about banning airboats have been around since the early 90's.

I have met some shady characters in the airboat community. No names will be mentioned but there are a few that I trust as far as I can spit.....

Water_Gremlin,

I agree with you..I'm just the messenger .I got the call and just passing it on.

Default This meeting

may have a bearing on when and where you can access water in the Knik River Drainage under the legislation. I would attend if I had an airboat.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Default Which night?

when is the meeting?

It was 3 days ago....

Go to www.knikriver.alaska.gov
    Read as much of the documentation there as you want, then fill out the online comment form.
    Explain where and how often you use the area and how you use it. Tell DNR how you think the Knik River should be used. Tell them what you like about it and what you don't like.
    Important part is talking to them now, the scoping process ends on Jan 7th. And tell your friends how to do the Comment thing too!
    If no one tells DNR they run boats there - they won't.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

Personally I think there are better area's to ban them from than those. How about on some of the valley streams that have Catch and Release regs on them. If they are trully trying to rebuild fishing stock in those area's keeping the airboats out would be another good step. I realize that not all airboats are as bad, but most I have witnessed stir up the water so much you can hardly fish it. Their wakes are worse than any other boat I have seen. They have their prupose but smaller streams need to be protected from them

Thumbs down Come on now!!

Worse than any other boat you have seen??? Really??? An on step airboat will disturb far less water than most other powered boats on these waters.

Think about it, an airboat, is generally, a flat bottomed boat. This boat on step will produce a wake inches in height and will not disturb much water near the gravel bottom (depending on water depth). Now, take into consideration, other boats which use an inboard or outboard engine with a shaft entering the water. They use water at, and/or below, the surface to produce forward thrust. And non airboat motorized boat hulls vary WIDELY in design. The design of the non airboat type design is crucial to wake and water disturbance.

Chances are if an airboat is "stirring up the water so much you can hardly fish it. Their wakes are worse than any other boat I have seen," than something is wrong. The load maybe too heavy, the driver may be inexperienced, or the boat maybe under powered.

Your comments have led me to believe you either hate airboats for some unknown reason because your accusations do not make the least bit of sense without more explanation. Prop wash piss you off? Your generalized and blanket stated comments have no merit. Maybe you need to elaborate.

Default Wake?

I would have to agree with water gremlin. They can't produce a bigger wake than a 18 foot thunderjet.. I just dont' buy that. However they are extremely loud, and produce way more noise pollution than any other boat. But I must say, they are pretty cool, and If given the chance I would love to ride in one up to knik glacier then kick back and have a few beers.
    Chris

I don't see any environmental issues with airboats except the noise. Like WG and Chris say, the claims of airboats tearing up the streams are pretty bogus. Poling or paddling a jonboat up a creek will disturb the bottom more than an airboat because the airboat doesn't push against the water or the bottom for propulsion.
    As far as the noise, they don't tend to hang around long so it is over quick. If it comes down to it, I would rather have a little noise than tear up the creek bottom.
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org

the common complaint with airboats is the noise/prop wash. I know it pisses people off, but I dont get up tight every time I inhale a lung full of tear jerking, nose puckering, OMFG MY BRAIN IS ON FIRE smell of diesel exhaust everytime I am following one on the road. Not pointing at you Mike.

Talking

I do, they both give me a headache! Sorry....... back to my corner.

Default I have witnessed it first hand

My personal experience is from Willow creek. I have fished while both jet boats, and airboats have gone by. Airboats cause far more disturbance than the jets. Now I havn't benn there while a thinder jet went by, and I doubt you will ever see that on Willow, my experience says Airboats are far more destructive. You can argue all you want. Now as a boat owner I hate to see bans put in place, but I also understand there are places boats belong and places they dont.

The big problems or only problems I have sen with airboats is the noise pollution and when going up small slougs and streams that have a lot of sweepers they have to cut them down for the prop and cage to clear. This looks ugly and causes a few problems for the rest of us with outboards.

Have to agree the wake from one is much less than your average jetboat and the noise does eventually go away.

If I didn't use a boat for both the ocean and rivers I might be interested in purchasing one.

Still any ban on one type of boat or when you can use a boat will eventually limit all of us recreational users.

Default Airboats

I think they seem a lot worse than they really are. I guess decisions get made on what they appear sometimes.
    I was fishing at Jim Creek and a Californian man yelled at an airboat that he just tore up a spawning bed. Meanwhile 7 or 8 people were trudging through it with their waders, and he didn't seem to think that was a problem. I gaurantee the people walking were doing more damage than any airboat that skimmed over the top of the water, it's just that the airboat was disturbing to the fishermen.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Default Deshka First Hand

I had a run in with a airboat a few years back on the Deshka. I was clearing rocks from my jet, when a airboat came running full bore past me. It was loud that I had to plug my ears. This offended the operator and he swerved toward me and my boat, with my pregnant wife inside. He came within inches of hitting me.

Then lets not forget the two airboats that collided on the Deshka this past summer.

I am not for limiting boats, but the Airboat community needs to clean up their act. It only takes a few to set the example for the rest of the boating community. Full speed without mufflers is not the way to go.

Default The other side of the fence

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I had a run in with a airboat a few years back on the Deshka. I was clearing rocks from my jet, when a airboat came running full bore past me. It was loud that I had to plug my ears. This offended the operator and he swerved toward me and my boat, with my pregnant wife inside. He came within inches of hitting me.

Then lets not forget the two airboats that collided on the Deshka this past summer.

I am not for limiting boats, but the Airboat community needs to clean up their act. It only takes a few to set the example for the rest of the boating community. Full speed without mufflers is not the way to go.

I am not making excuses but try and drive an airboat for an entire summer. You'll be surprised the reactions you will receive. I have been shot at, cursed, people have let their dogs loose on me, people have thrown rocks at me, thrown lures, and I have recieved many different one fingered hand signals. I eventually wouldnt even acknowledge people on the rivers, thats the only way I could cope with it. But everyones different and some snap easier than others. Airboaters in general do not recieve much respect.

What does that have to do with anything? Would it change the fact if they were jetboats? I can tell you that you probably wouldnt have thrown that out there to somehow backup your argument if they were not airboats. Your entire argument entitling airboaters need to clean up their act seems to derive frin one guy who almost hit you? Would you have waived HI and smiled if it were a jet boat?

The entire boating community has to clean up their act, so dont just point your finger at airboats.

Let's not forget the two jetboats that collided in a slough off the Tanana this summer. Inexperienced operator cut power, then couldn't steer and caved in the side of the other guys boat. Oops, that wasn't in the paper so it must not matter.

Agreed that the whole community needs to take a step back and clean up it's act.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    I had a run in with a airboat a few years back on the Deshka. I was clearing rocks from my jet,
    Maybe you should buy an airboat then you would not have to clear rocks from your jets.

AKBassking
    There are some folks that need not be in an airboat as with twice as many that should not be in a jet boat. Airboats get a bad rap because there are not not many on the rivers . That just because the average Joe can not afford to buy a well built one . Go down to Deska every king season there are what 100 jet boats to every 2 airboats

Quote:

What about the jet boats that sunk on the Su and Talkeetna. Did you you hear the airboat folks Crying like you are !! NOT

You picked A good name for your posting ...At least 3 of the letters anyway !!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast