Thread: Venting a crawl space in alaska

Default Venting a crawl space in alaska

O.K. I've seen a lot of comments on here about this, and I would like your thoughts on why it is nesseray if the place is sealed up right.

Codes, personal choice, or whatever.

( And to let you know I'm not a novice, I've been doing this for over 30 years of my life)

It's nice to be able to vent a crawl when necessary but as far as code goes most places I am aware of in Alaska are allowed unvented crawls because of climate conditions. If anyone is actually interested I can research it.

R408 Ventilation isn't required if

1)A proper vapor barrier is installed on any exposed earth.
    2) A mechanical ventilation system of some type is installed.

We just did an energy upgrade on a crawlspace that consisted of spraying one and a half inches of foam on the walls, vapor barrier on grade, and four feet of two inch blue board around the perimeter. The existing vents were covered. Vapor barrier must be taped and Tremco'd.

I am a big fan of venting. All too often crawl spaces and basements go unlooked at for long periods of time. More times than not, by the time someone gets around to looking at them, problems of mold and mildew as well as rot has set in. By venting it, it is just one less thing to be thinking of. In layman's terms, think of it this way. You vent the roof, why would you not vent the floor? Same rationale and reasoning applies for doing both.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I just had an energy rating done and the guy said to shut the vents on the crawl space tight

Personally I never understood venting a sealed DRY crawl space

But at the same time I think the downside of an unvented crawl space that NEEDS venting is way way way more thant the energy savings of sealing one up

so............ I sealed mine up......... to the rating to have good ole SOA to pay for my new 95% efficient furnace

and thanks for reminding me I am on my way down after this post to crack the vents in ye ole crawl space

bottom line............ all things in moderation

but if there's the slightest chance of crawl space moisture

err on the side of venting

(after your energy rating of course)

You should vent a floor if the floor itself is insulated and sheathed. The reason to vent a crawlspace is to vent moisture that comes up through the soil. Adding vapor barriers over the ground is relatively new science. Before the vapor barriers the humidity was a big issue. Poorly sealed vapor barriers still can be. Properly sealed vapor barriers should eliminate the need to vent.