Thread: Outfitter Question

Talking Outfitter Question

If a person was looking to buy a hunting outfitter business, where would you start looking, short of checking with real estate agents?
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Default go to...

the hunting outfitter for sale section in your local paper. Couldn't resist!!!!
    If a dipnetter dips a fish and there is no one around to see/hear it, Did he really dip?

i figure thats a business you start from the bottom up. unless an outfitter is retiring or something... maybe craigslist,. who knows what you can find on that site

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Default Tip

I would e-mail them all that you may be interested in running. Species, fishing/hunting,etc. Everything is for sale for a price! I know a few outfitters looking to sell in the near future. Rule of thumb for you from a business standpoint is gross X 3 for a sale price then negotiate from there. Also look at permitting, how long remains on permits, can they be renewed, etc.

Gooch
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Talking

Thanks I will pass the info on to my friend that is thinking of getting into the business.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

With the new guide concession think I make make sure there were some guides to work for ya in the are of the business

hap

Alaska does not have "Outfitters" in the usual sense. There are guides and transporters, but the closest thing to an outfitter would be guide and the requirements are many, financial rewards few...

The guy fron Kotz that rented all the eqpt was moving and selling his business. I don't know if he got that accomplished or not.

I'd rather do business with an outfitter based on their reputation, not someone who bought out another business and kept the name.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

I agree with you completely TWB. But sometimes you just don't have anything to go on but what the guys tell you. References are not any good because who in their right mind is going to give you info on an unhappy customer. That makes it especially difficult for people like me that live so far from Alaska. It is very easy to be misguided (no pun intended) without first hand knowledge of the person and their organization.

In my area we are big on plantation quail hunts. For the last 30+ years I have run bird dogs in competition in the deep South. Naturally I have gotten to know quite a few of the plantation managers by doing that. A few, very few, brag each year about how they screwed someone on their hunt or how they put some money in their pocket by buying less birds than they had agreed to put out. It also happens on the wild bird plantations too.