Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Lake

Default Big Lake

Anyone been out to Big Lake yet? Have they plowed the ice roads and put out shacks? I'd like to head out there tomorrow. Thanks for any info.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I was out there weekend before last (Dec 13). The main ice road was plowed and getting plenty of activity. I'm guessing it's been plowed since the last snow, so I'd think you're in business. Not sure what's out there for shacks...

Fishing was pretty good for me. Fished one of my normal spots 3 hours in the morning. Caught two char over 20" and a half dozen rainbows between 14" and 18". Can't complain.

Good luck if you hit the ice tomorrow! I'll be... ahem... working.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

Thanks for the info! I've got some time off for the holidays so it should be nice and quiet out there.

Yeah the lakes in good shape. Plenty of ice and main roads plowed as of last week anyway. I'll head that way soon again too but I'm off to flathorn for pike in the am. Good luck fishing.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Great job. Keep those pics coming!

Got skunked on the flat off Bird Island. I'm trying some new spots and that one didn't work for me. I marked a few fish at dusk with the flasher but dunno what they were.

Default Be set up by 8:30......

Last year at this time, I was doing well early in the morning. I'd drop my camera down, and see eyes all over the place.....literally. Although you catch fish all day out of Big Lake, I seem to see the most fish at first light. Try chumming a bunch of roe in quarter size pieces, and use a heavier style jig. Lay it right on the bottom and twitch it.....Worked over the top of your chumming area, the jig will resemble fry, or a minnow that is trying to get in a little of that egg action, and those big char can't resist. Sometimes they hammer 'em, and sometimes you can't even feel 'em. I'll post a picture again, hopefully. that has all the jigs, and lures that produce well for me, personally. Hopefully it can get someone headed in the right direction.

The one you have on top is very similar to my "magic" Big Lake lure. I slayed char on it all winter.

Thumbs up

.........the ones in the middle of the picture with the big eyes work very good. They're called willow leaf jigs. Man./distributor is www.jamminjigs.com out of MN.

This is all from today...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Those storm wild eye shad jigs are absolutly fantastic when you flash them with a camera and fish them at night for burbot.

i fished big lake, crooked lake, and flat lake yesterday with zero fish caught or seen....was a real bummer...fished shallow and deep, close to shore and off points....tried everything i could think of....it just sucked! was a great day to be on the ice though.....

Release Lake Trout

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    i fished big lake, crooked lake, and flat lake yesterday with zero fish caught or seen....was a real bummer...fished shallow and deep, close to shore and off points....tried everything i could think of....it just sucked! was a great day to be on the ice though.....

Been there done that......
    Caught a lot of really nice fish out there, and spent a few days just like yours. It happens. The next time, you'll get on on em.

Quote Originally Posted by frydaddy View Post
    Last year at this time, I was doing well early in the morning. I'd drop my camera down, and see eyes all over the place.....literally. Although you catch fish all day out of Big Lake, I seem to see the most fish at first light. Try chumming a bunch of roe in quarter size pieces, and use a heavier style jig. Lay it right on the bottom and twitch it.....Worked over the top of your chumming area, the jig will resemble fry, or a minnow that is trying to get in a little of that egg action, and those big char can't resist. Sometimes they hammer 'em, and sometimes you can't even feel 'em. I'll post a picture again, hopefully. that has all the jigs, and lures that produce well for me, personally. Hopefully it can get someone headed in the right direction.

Excellent post!

Looks like I will be heading that way tomorrow. Hope to come home with big fish pics.

Went out for the first trip of the year on Sunday. Caught a beautiful 27" char at about 10 o'clock in the am, and before we left at noon, picked up another about 24/25". Also caught a few dinks. Both nice ones caught on tube jigs.......actually the same tube jigs, as i showed in an earlier post. Going out again this morning if i can find someone that wants to go.....wife is too preggers, and I have the day off, but i don't like going for just myself. I have a quickfish 6, aqua view, 10" auger, and jigging rods. message me if you wanna go, or maybe meet up on the lake.

I would if I didn't have to work... I haven't been out to Big Lake yet and really want to try it out. Good Luck!

We are heading out there tommorow for our first trip to Big Lake, so we'll report.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

How is the ice holding up to the warm temps? Saw open water last week when I was out scouting on the snowmachine.

Question

Ice is holding up fine. 18" black ice. Has Anyone fish the North Shore area of Big Lake? Supposedly, a few people were "consistently" catching pike in that area this past year. I'm aware of the pike being in Big Lake, but I'm doubting the numbers are there to consistly have any success targeting. Do any of my fellow hardwater anglers have some north shore knowledge to share? How's the Charlie/rainbow fishing, compared to the rest of the lake?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast