Thread: Halibut Frenzy

Question Halibut Frenzy

Has anyone here experienced a multitude of halibut surounding your boat and biting anything trown at them? It happened to my B-NLaw last summer. Has pictures to prove it. He gaffed a 20lb right out of the water (don't know if that was legal or not). I was telling this story to a fellow passanger coming back from Juneau, and a guy in the seat ahead of us piped in that it happened to him as well. He happened to have his camera with him with pictures and showed em to us. He had a picture of 2 halibut on one hook. The hook had circled through the first halibuts jaw and a 2nd halibut grabbed the shiny hook. I mean man, this is either something to get excited about, or something to be very afraid of. What's your halibut frenzy story?
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

I have seen it several times off of Anchor Point while fishing out of my friends Zodiac. Haul a fish up in the shallow water out there and all his buddies came up to see what the commotion was. We picked out the bigger ones to throw our bait at. I would like to have had a flyrod rigged and nearby for that.

It happened on a charter I took years ago. It was a chicken hole in K-bay and after the boat was getting near it's limit, there were halibut that were swimming towards the surface, following up the hooked fish. As I recall there were 4-5 fish that followed them up. I did notice the hooked fish were puking out candlefish, and the unhooked fish were eating the chum. I dunno if the fish getting hooked were puking after being hooked and the other fish were following them up or not.

Pretty cool experience, and the captain and deckhand were pretty excited as it's something they said they seldom see.

This is one of my favorite youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR5fuS5jl94

Something like this??

Id love to get a halibut on a popper.

Talking I'll look at this from home

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    This is one of my favorite youtube videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR5fuS5jl94

Something like this??

Id love to get a halibut on a popper.
    My work has you tube blocked. Go figure....
    We never really grow up, we only learn
    how to act in public

Talking Lots of Halibut

This also happened to me outside the mouth of English Bay last summer. Hook one and have several follow it up. Even had a couple get off before we got them to the surface and would have an other take the hook. As in the other post they were all full of the small shiner fish and spitting them out. They were mostly all small chickens that we threw back for an other day.
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Default butts

I saw butts jumping 'out' of the water not too far out of the harbor in Valdez this last august....all the way out of the water. They are an aggressive fish when feeding hard.

Seen it a few times as well. Was fishing out in one of our honey holes close to Flat Island and we had probably 20-30 fish around the boat. It was crazy. Fun, though. I have no idea if it was related or not, but a Minke Whale came right up to the boat and circled it blowing bubbles. All in all, it was a pretty cool day.

Smile yup...

Could have scooped them up with my salmon net off of Flat Island.

We look for them. Halibut move around like most other fish, especially with the tide or food concentrations. If you know a good high tide fishing spot, look for the nearest deeper water for a good low tide spot and plot the route between them. If you can hit the halibut as they move between the two, fishing is going to be hot and heavy for a few minutes, then die off completely. Just move closer to their destination and start again, ready for them when they pass by the boat.

Any time you can find a bait school near bottom, the same thing can happen. If it's a school of needlefish moving on the tide, look downcurrent for a spot where the bottom rises up and the school is going to come near bottom. The halibut know about it and will be waiting there.

It takes some local knowledge, but "frenzies" are what it's all about for us.

Thumbs up happen to us a couple years ago..

way out of hommer...and going around the bend..(in a 60"x20' river boat!) 180' of water reelin one in..... an a 1/2 doz or so came up with him! Looked like a bunch of trash can lids going around an around..I got the one on my line in to the boat an ...grabed the "fish sticker" and i got us one that stuck his head out of the water..cool as all getout
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Fishing out of Anchor point Ive had several big halibut chase the bait to the top , or in some cases chase a hooked halibut to the top.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

hap

Have had it many times, but a few years back we had halibut coming in and silvers and kings circling through them eating the chum. Using very light spinning rods we caught limits of kings and silvers on herring. It was a ridiculous frenzy with a deck full of scales in the end. None of the halibut were of size, but the kings were not bad!
    art