Thread: Wolf Hunting-Fairbanks

Default Wolf Hunting-Fairbanks

Does anyone know of a place or area around or near Fairbanks to go wolf hunting?

You are not going to find anyone that will tell you where to hunt wolfs. You have to put time in the woods and find them.

Default What

about Wolves?

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

wolf hunting is not that easy... many miles.. many many miles.. to be covered.. but if you pull up a map of the surrounding area and have access to good mountain machines and know where the caribou travel the winter trails and have the time to run them down when you cut fresh tracks you may be able to.. in my 42 years... i have seen 8 from the road... 5 were all at the same time... but give it a go.. you never know when luck will turn your way..

you can find them across the Tanana Flats in the winter.. out in the japan hills.. all the way over to Circle from Chena hot springs and up the haul road as far as you can see.... find the food find the wolf.. many miles many miles to cover

of the 8 i have seen from the road.. i could have shot one... had i a hand gun along..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Default wolf activities

I won't ask where the wolves are either but does anybody know about their winter habits. Daylight is short right now, does this mean they are more active in the daytime? In the last 15 years I have only seen 3 wolves while snowmachining. They were always just out of the woods on the rivers.

Default Wolves

Besides howling does anyone have a recommendations on a call for wolves? Ive never had any success with a distressed rabbit. But then again, I cant say that I have ever been into them either. Ive cut tracks that I thought were fresh but wolves can cover some serious ground so who knows how close I was.

Ive seen 1 pack of 6 and 1 lone wolf in my 5 winters in AK. The pack of 6 was shadowing a heard of caribou. The lone wolf disappeared in the trees on the Tanana faster than I could jack a round into my 22-250 so....

Ive had them return my howls. That is possibly the most hair raising thing that has ever happened to my in AK. I snow shoed into a valley and sat down in a pile of brush and made one single howl. The whole valley seem to erupt into a chorus and I was sitting right in the middle. I have no idea how many wolves were in the the valley will all the echoing and the weird was sound carries when its cold and still, but I had a serious case of the hebegeebees. I never saw one wolf that day, however it was one of the coolest things I ever encountered. I wish I would have had a tape-recorder with me.

I know of 2 wolves called in and killed last year on a rabbit e-caller by fairly inexperienced pred hunters. I've never called in a wolf but I sure hear about a lot of people that do. I think it is a matter of being in the right place at the right time as wolves have large ranges.

Cool speak up

i think anyone with info on the where abouts of wolves should speak up.We as predator hunters need to thin them out. (less wolves=more game)

Quote Originally Posted by bunnypoacher View Post
    i think anyone with info on the where abouts of wolves should speak up.We as predator hunters need to thin them out. (less wolves=more game)
    I don't think there are a lot of secrets with regards to where wolves are. The kicker is that they cover a lot of ground and are not found in specific spots with much predictability. There are high wolf populations in Units 13, 16, etc...that info is readily available...but for most folks getting a wolf is more of a chance encounter than something that can be regularly planned. Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems that harvesting a wolf is more a factor of time spent afield than a specific X on a map.

Buy a cub. Learn to fly/land it with skis. and you will find the wolves. The only wolf I ever called in was by accident with coyote howls. Lots of miles

Might be different in AK.. But this is how we get er done in Idaho..
    Keep in mind that this is the first year we could hunt em so it has been Fairly easy to get on em..

We have been calling them in with a coyote howler Knight&Hale preditor one. We do about 3-4 howls then some barks a few more howls then throw a couple of hurt dog sounds in there YIPE YIPE YIPE... We do all that for about 6-8 minutes then give it a rest
    then just howl bark and yipe every few minute after that..
    I have no doubt that if you are with in ear shot of a wolf and you do this they will come.Just be ready!!!!I should of had a couple but they came in so fast i was never ready.. I also think a coyote decoy will be a huge help, If you set it out 20-30 yards from your position it will take their attention off of the caller and give more time for a shot, I am going to go get a montana decoy and give that a whirl......

byrd_hntr.. I would think you had a perfect opertunity when you had them howling all around you, Some coyote howls and barks might of got the job done..

Called this one and another into 17 yards.....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wolf hunting 113.jpg  

Default no such luck

Quote Originally Posted by 300 WSM View Post
    Buy a cub. Learn to fly/land it with skis. and you will find the wolves. The only wolf I ever called in was by accident with coyote howls. Lots of miles
    Just bought my sweetie a house in ER. No cub for many years. Probably 30 if you ask the bank.

Keep howling until they come to you. Buy a snowmachine and ride until you find fresh sign.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!