Thread: Any Dillingham folks?

Default Any Dillingham folks?

We have lived in Alaska for over a year (second winter) and have been to many of the areas on the road system. We just don't think that is for us. We have lived off grid in the Rockies in our little cabin we built at 8500ft and loved that life. We however do want some sort of town with a library and a decent cup of coffee when we do come in from the woods.
    We currently live outside of Homer and it is just like every other town to us. We have looked at Nikiski and Seward, Cooper Landing and Hope and spent some time in each. Not really what we are all about. We also didn't want to isolate us completely from the outside as we are thinking of little ones. I'm 35 and my wife is 30. I'm a solar/wind engineer/installer and we don't want the 9to5 lifestyle which we have somehow slipped back into. I'd prefer to work on a project or two every year and my wife has a pretty good little internet business that she can run with only a couple of hours a week online.
    That being said, any ideas? Outside of Dillingham has our interest... anyone care to comment?

Thanks,

Mountaintrekker

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaintrekker View Post
    We have lived in Alaska for over a year (second winter) and have been to many of the areas on the road system. We just don't think that is for us. We have lived off grid in the Rockies in our little cabin we built at 8500ft and loved that life. We however do want some sort of town with a library and a decent cup of coffee when we do come in from the woods.
    We currently live outside of Homer and it is just like every other town to us. We have looked at Nikiski and Seward, Cooper Landing and Hope and spent some time in each. Not really what we are all about. We also didn't want to isolate us completely from the outside as we are thinking of little ones. I'm 35 and my wife is 30. I'm a solar/wind engineer/installer and we don't want the 9to5 lifestyle which we have somehow slipped back into. I'd prefer to work on a project or two every year and my wife has a pretty good little internet business that she can run with only a couple of hours a week online.
    That being said, any ideas? Outside of Dillingham has our interest... anyone care to comment?

Thanks,

Mountaintrekker
    I like the internet business. Can she hire me? I'll work those two hours and give her 1/2.

Actually, it sounds like you want to be off the road system, if that's so I'd check out Mcgrath, Dillingham, maybe McCarthy althought that's kind of touristy.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Mountaintrekker,

Bristol Bay is a great place and out side of Dillingham (on the road system) you should find someplace for you and the wife. You can live as grid free as you wish. They have plenty of spruce for firewood and while Bristol Bay isn't known for lots of sun you will have the wind up the wazoo! Depending on if you get on a hill or not a good tower will be in order. A good snowmachine would be a good purchase to get around and haul wood. I wouldn't get a sled but wait till I made some friends out there to help design and build one for the job.

I grew up in Bristol Bay (32yrs) and you will enjoy it if you have the adventurous spirit. Great place to learn a subsistance life style.

If you post questions about Dillingham on the fishing threads there are a couple guys that frequent it...

Good Luck and Merry Christmas.

George

Default If it's just you two, probably OK

If you have kids, it may be problematic. Many social problems in Dillingham which kids are hard to insulate from. That is part of the reason we moved from Dillingham to Homer, and then on to Soldotna.

Great hunting and fishing, but expensive as heck.