Thread: What to Hunt

Default What to Hunt

Looking for suggestions on what to hunt between now and Spring Bear. Are their any other late season registration hunts like the 20A Moose or now closed 40 Mile Caribou.

Thanks

a fun hunt for bou is out of homer now i believe but it starts in january and u can shoot 5 bou per person but plane can only hold 5 total maybe more if they have a bigger plane now. We used natron air out of soldotna but they sold thier permit to grizzly air or somebody in homer. But just awesome we seen thousands of bou and shot 4. thought we had 5 but one moved and got up so she got it twice. Fun hunt for the freezer. we went in 03 in march on the 16th actually. there was no snow over there by illiamna, malchatna herd. so the bou still had antlers on. we shot all cows because we had to hike for them. came up to the ridge and the females were the closet and the males were up higher on the next ridge. But just awesome. it is all the same day hunt too. we were home in the late afternoon. going to homer would be a bit longer or possibly stay the night before the hunt. i am pondering on doing it again. I am going to check with natron air though. he was good and maybe he got another permit. spendy though. last year i checked on it homer and it was $850 person, or $1700 for the plane. so usually works best with two people because you can get that many more bou. the extra guy takes away one most likely. not sure whay planes they use though. well worth it though.

Talking

Bunny Rabbits.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

rabbits, ptarmagin, grouse, and assorted predators. The caribou hunt idea floated here is good for filling the freezer, but personally I would rather spend that money on a August or September week-long hunt rather than a day shooting spree.

-Brian

Quote Originally Posted by B_M View Post
    The caribou hunt idea floated here is good for filling the freezer, but personally I would rather spend that money on a August or September week-long hunt rather than a day shooting spree.

-Brian
    Isn't "filling the freezer" what it's all about, B_M?
    You wouldn't be advocating "trophy" hunting now would you????????????
    :-)
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Isn't "filling the freezer" what it's all about, B_M?
    You wouldn't be advocating "trophy" hunting now would you????????????
    :-)
    Oh, you're putting me in a box that I didn't place myself in, marten! Sneaky how you do that...

First of all, my father used to teach taxidermy for a living and my brother still does it. I have no problems with people shooting large animals and having mounts done - I have a few sheep shoulder mounts myself. You're taking some comments I've made about the meat being by far the most important thing and assuming you know my stance on all other issues. Careful, my friend...you know what they say about assuming! ;-)

My point, though, was that I would rather have a wilderness experience in addition to filling the freezer. If I only had X amount of dollars to spend, I'd rather spend a week in the woods while filling the freezer rather than flying out for the day.

Nice try, but you'll have to work harder than that to catch me!

-Brian

I'm ready to do a one day shooting spree to fill the freezer. I'll take a week or two or three off for August and September hunting anyways.