Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 7 convicted of falsifying fishing, hunting documents

Default 7 convicted of falsifying fishing, hunting documents

But yet the Point Hope folks get a slap on the wrist? What gives?

http://www.adn.com/outdoors/hunting/story/1062028.html

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Talking

You can't take something away from someone, if they don't have it in the first place. No license, no forfiet.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Mixed feeling on that deal.I do feel the folks that took sheep recived there due. I think we may need to look at fire fighters that come to save our land somewhat like we do the military

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I think we may need to look at fire fighters that come to save our land somewhat like we do the military
    Careful there! A lot of folks come up here to save us from ourselves. How many politicians regularly come up here for visits to save our land. How bout the summer hires of the Federal Parkie's that come up here every summer to demonstrate to us, how to save the land.

Once you start down this road, there is no turning back.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

I think we may need to look at fire fighters that come to save our land somewhat like we do the military
    Why? They are getting paid to do a job just like anyone else. I respect what they do, but don't believe that their choice of employment should entitle them to special benefits with regard to hunting and fishing access. Who are we going to propose for special treatment next? The non-resident slope worker because they help get our oil to market?

Don't forget the commercial fisherman that come up here for 3 months out of the year to catch crab and such. Might as well make it fair for all right??

If you can't see a difference betwwen on the slope and gillnetting compared to haveing 100' flames sooting over your head and 100mph winds as and average day at work then I agree they would be the same thing.Like I said I have mixed feeling on this.

I think people who work with children should be given special hunting and fishing rights. They save our kids, don't they? And bald guys too. They put up with a lot of grieve and they save the planet by using less shampoo. And older people as well. Say older than 46 years old. Basically, that's one foot in the grave. Plus people who commercial fished for a single summer. My, I mean, someone's fingers could still hurt and that was over 10 years ago!

Hmmm. I wonder if I know anyone like that?

Just what we need, more special interest. Why don't we give them a special season too in case they are too busy fighting fires durring the normal ones. Am I realy the only one who wants to get rid of all the special hunts?

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    But yet the Point Hope folks get a slap on the wrist? What gives?
    Easy. You're not native but a white guy. Me, on the other hand, being part Alaskan native, I could/can get away with stuff that you and others cannot. Not fair, is it? It pisses me off.

If you can't see a difference betwwen on the slope and gillnetting compared to haveing 100' flames sooting over your head and 100mph winds as and average day at work then I agree they would be the same thing.Like I said I have mixed feeling on this.
    Feelings should not come into play where logic and reason are required.
    Now what ?

I don;t think we should exempt anyone. 12 months to be a res. Do the time or pay the fine.
    However, once you stay 12 months, and legally establish residency, there is nothing stopping anyone from leaving the state for part of the year and still maintaining your residency. Plenty of retirees, probably nationwide, who live seasonally in one state, but maintain residency in their original home state.
    These guys weren't residnets and they got what they deserved.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Yep fire fighters and cops,military too just like everyone else drawing a check. Don't understand all the 9-11 fuss,they died doing what they love and got paid

don't understand all the fuss. it is plain and simple. you're a resident after one yr, you can't be a resident in two states, and if you're miliary, you get a "discounted" hunting license. you don't get to hunt resident species your first yr. (sheep, goat, grizz). what's the problem. if a firefighter comes up here to work and they stay for a yr. by all means get residency, same with fishermen, oil workers, etc..... i am military and didn't get any special tx. for being such. i waited 16 months to hunt grizz, and plan on sheep hunting this yr. didn't collect pfd or hunt species i needed a guide for the first yr. pretty simple.

Default Hmmmmm

I swear, you guys.... Amigo, with all due respect, be easy on the 9/11 topic. I understand what you are saying. Yes, they did die doing what they loved, as I love it. I also am a firefighter and we do look at them as heroes. But in my opinion, anyone that gives their life for another is a hero. I do not look at myself as a hero. But if I died saving someone's child or trying to save that person, I would hope that people would respect that. And the majority of these guys that really do it because they love it and not for the pat on the back, would not accept any special treatment. I'm not trying to further the fussing here, just my opinion. And Amigo, no hard feelings?
    Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway.- John Wayne

Default Hmmmm.. (cont)

Sorry. I helped hijack this thread. My apologies. I am not a resident yet so I have no opinion in this matter. But coming up later this year, I do wish there wasn't a year wait. But I understand the reasoning behind it. Thanks guys. I have learned alot on this forum and you guys are very helpful.

Default Right on! Far Out!

Sorry could not help my-self. I think I may have met the boys from MT. Names seem to fit a couple of guys who I helped frame out a Cataraft! Hope not but names seem to fit. Oh Being old is nice!

Nope boys should have been busted and they were and deserve the fines which has nothing associated with the Point Hope Case.

I know does not seem fair eh!

Politics what a wonderful thing.

Spot on SDRhunter

Default got off too easy

In at least one state (Nevada) poaching is a felony, too bad thats not the case here. I dont care who you are or what your job is, stealing from the rest of us is not ok in my book.
    Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it.

I think I should have added that I also agree that no matter who you are or what job you hold should you be given special treatment. I agree wholeheartedly with these guys getting 'punished'.

The fines should be much higher so the State can pay off the millions they owe the nonresidents who got screwed by the State on comercial fishing permit fees. Carlson vs AK

http://www.law.duke.edu/shell/cite.p...ska+L.+Rev.+91

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast